By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why should I buy Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn?

Sullla said:
Gamerace said:

I do like strategy, but not the pure strategy games where you have to deal with supply lines and crap. But it sounds like this is more pure combat. Is that true? Is it more like Buldar's gate where you can position people on the fly, pull out wounded members and lure enemies into ambushes and stuff or more like a JRPG fighting where it's a line of heros and line of enemies exchanging blows?

Fire Emblem is nothing like the Baldur's Gate line of games (which were excellent in their own way). The comparison to a chess board is much more accurate; think of it as a chess game with a huge board and many extremely specialized pieces. We refer to Fire Emblem as a "strategy" game, but it really doesn't involve much pure strategy; the game is actually almost entirely tactical in nature, like a wargame in a lot of senses. Positioning of units is incredibly important. It's not unusual to be in situations where moving a unit one tile in any direction will result in instant death.

You have some control over your party members, in terms of picking which ones are active for each mission. One of my main criticisms of Radiant Dawn is that you have far less control over your party than any previous game in the series. (It's much more cinematic/story-driven than previous installments. Many players like this, I'm less of a fan.) Any character CAN become strong with repeated use, but some are generally much stronger than others. No one is mandatory, except the hero/leader unit (but you'd want to use Ike anyway...)

I love the Fire Emblem games, just keep in mind they are very, very difficulty and frustrating. I echo Chrizum's recommendation to try the Gamecube FE game first (Path of Radiance) which is a lot less intimidating for newcomers to the series. And as an old game, it's also dirt cheap today.

Good description.  Okay I'm sold.  I love games like chess/Risk.  It might be a bother having to leave a battle half way through and come back to it the next day.  Likely move somethin, get killed and then remember why it was there in the first place, but as long as I have a hardsave, that's not a biggie.

Actually I have a buddy who'd love this game too.  Too bad there's no online or coop but I guess we could strategize together if he's over. 

Around the Network
Gamerace said:
RolStoppable said:
Gamerace said:
So you can save at any time. Good. That makes this a much more likely purchase.

Do you get to select which characters your using or do you have a set party or are certain character types/party configurations simply mandatory if you hope to succeed?

There are a few main characters in the game which you always have to take with you in battles, no matter what. After the first few chapters your party has grown to a point where you can't take everyone with you in a battle (the allowed size of the party differs for most levels).

Over the course of the game you'll get to choose from more than 70 characters (they are split into three separate parties for the most part of the game, the different storylines tie together at the end of the game) and you can play with the types of units that match your play style the best. Most classes in the game are represented by several characters, so you have a lot of freedom of choice.

Thanks.  I think I'll pick this up.  What happens if one of those main characters dies?  Does the story continue without them or do you have to keep them alive?

Should I get the gamecube FE first? If I can even find it... 

Certain characters dying will cause you to instantly lose the battle.  Usually your leader or some other important character.  Otherwise the battle continues on.

You don't need to play the GC FE to play the Wii one.  It stands on its own quite well.

TopCat8 said:
What is an SRPG? Like what does the S stand for? I know I sound stupid, but I seriously don't know.

You should NOT get this game. It's the best Wii game made so far, but you sir, should avoid it like plague.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
TopCat8 said:
What is an SRPG? Like what does the S stand for? I know I sound stupid, but I seriously don't know.

You should NOT get this game. It's the best Wii game made so far, but you sir, should avoid it like plague.

Lol. I was just about to say that this game doesn't sound like something I would like. It sounds too complicated. I think I'll pass on buying it, but in the back of my mind, I'll always be wondering what I'm missing out on.

Add me on Xbox Live: TopCat8

TopCat8 said:
This game seems to be really popular and has great reviews. I was just wondering what the big deal is. I know nothing about this game, so could someone break it down for me? I don't want a link to the huge thread on here already because I really don't feel like doing all that reading (I'm lazy, I know). So all I know is that it's an RPG. I've never really played an RPG except for Pokemon, so I don't know what to expect. Please educate me on this game, and I'll be very happy.

Don't.  Buy Fire Emblem Path of Radiance.   It's cheaper, and it's the prequel.  If you like that then get Radiant Dawn.

It's a SRPG... ot an RPG... it's also a very hard SRPG.  

Around the Network
Gamerace said:

Good description. Okay I'm sold. I love games like chess/Risk. It might be a bother having to leave a battle half way through and come back to it the next day. Likely move somethin, get killed and then remember why it was there in the first place, but as long as I have a hardsave, that's not a biggie.

Actually I have a buddy who'd love this game too. Too bad there's no online or coop but I guess we could strategize together if he's over.

Heh, and don't worry. Because if you're good at these kind of games, they're not frustrating at all.

If you're good at strategy and tactics, you won't have to restart your game. But it's true the game is very unforgiving, like chess.

I love these kind of games, and I loved the Fire Emblem on GC. I love this one too, though I barely started it.

I bought the Wii just for this game, so if you happen to like SRPG, just think you're playing one of the best.

If you like the game, I believe you'll start to care for some characters, like everyone else that like this series.

Also, you have to buy this game so that I can get another one, on the Wii or elsewhere ;) 

Well it is bloody addictive game..
Ugh i have spoken