By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Never been a better time to be a gamer! True or false? (Poll)

Now is the best time to be a gamer...

True 19 38.78%

False 29 59.18%

Comments. 1 2.04%

Total:49
Norion said:

It overall is the best time but it isn't the most exciting. Someone who started playing games in the mid 80's will have seen things go from Super Mario Bros to Super Mario 64 in just a little over a decade. Or even someone who started in the mid 90's will have seen 3D games go from Mario 64 to Mario Sunshine or Half-Life to Half-Life 2 in just six years. I was born too late to experience those things but it must've been incredible at the time to see such progress in such a short time span.

These days are still overall better though cause there's endless high quality indie games and with the industry pushing hard towards a multi-platform future you have more new games to play than ever before in all sorts of genres regardless of your platform of choice. While playing Mario 64 back in 1996 will have been an amazing experience you didn't exactly have many other games to play for a while once you were finished with it.

Yeah, add to that the mind of youth and it was like every year a new game would blow you're mind. I can't understate how mind-blowing Metal Gear solid was but then just three years later to have MGS2 evolve things so far was just incredible. Not to mention earlier titles like Super Mario 64, Crash banidicoot or Granturismo coming out and just obliterating everything before them. 

But. But. But. That was only a trick of the mind played on us, one that continues to this day to keep you at the front and buying the new games day one, I found this graphical hype to lead well into the end of eighth gen though so you didn't miss out on much, same thing just lesser.

And still, I find VR to be the most impressive and mind blowing jump in gaming hands down, even beating that jump to 3d. Every VR game blows your mind and it doesn't let you forget it, you never get so immersed that the edge it has wears off especially with the more creative games. You're continually reminded just how amazing it is to be able to practically enter a game world and explore. 

Around the Network
LegitHyperbole said:
Norion said:

It overall is the best time but it isn't the most exciting. Someone who started playing games in the mid 80's will have seen things go from Super Mario Bros to Super Mario 64 in just a little over a decade. Or even someone who started in the mid 90's will have seen 3D games go from Mario 64 to Mario Sunshine or Half-Life to Half-Life 2 in just six years. I was born too late to experience those things but it must've been incredible at the time to see such progress in such a short time span.

These days are still overall better though cause there's endless high quality indie games and with the industry pushing hard towards a multi-platform future you have more new games to play than ever before in all sorts of genres regardless of your platform of choice. While playing Mario 64 back in 1996 will have been an amazing experience you didn't exactly have many other N64 games to play for a while once you were finished with it.

Yeah, add to that the mind of youth and it was like every year a new game would blow you're mind. I can't understate how mind-blowing Metal Gear solid was but then just three years later to have MGS2 evolve things so far was just incredible. Not to mention earlier titles like Super Mario 64, Crash banidicoot or Granturismo coming out and just obliterating everything before them. 

But. But. But. That was only a trick of the mind played on us, one that continues to this day to keep you at the front and buying the new games day one, I found this graphical hype to lead well into the end of eighth gen though so you didn't miss out on much, same thing just lesser.

And still, I find VR to be the most impressive and mind blowing jump in gaming hands down, even beating that jump to 3d. Every VR game blows your mind and it doesn't let you forget it, you never get so immersed that the edge it has wears off especially with the more creative games. You're continually reminded just how amazing it is to be able to practically enter a game world and explore. 

VR does seem super cool but unfortunately it doesn't have enough people using it yet to have it receive a lot of support but that'll get better over time and eventually some decades from now the really advanced stuff you see in things like Sci-fi stories will be a reality. For right now I think I'll wait for the technology to mature a bit more and see if Valve ends up making a successor to the Index before considering jumping in.

Norion said:
LegitHyperbole said:

VR does seem super cool but unfortunately it doesn't have enough people using it yet to have it receive a lot of support but that'll get better over time and eventually some decades from now the really advanced stuff you see in things like Sci-fi stories will be a reality. For right now I think I'll wait for the technology to mature a bit more and see if Valve ends up making a successor to the Index before considering jumping in.

Yeah, but what is there is really impressive. Take a 90's gamer and put them in Wipepout in PSVR and they'd have a heart attack, literally shocked into the afterlife. 

This always a tough question because for most people the best time to be a gamer is when ever they had no major responsibilities and time to hang out with friends and play games. I miss the summers where all I did was hang out with friends all day outside playing sports etc and then once the sun came down play video games all night. That would of been the 90's for me.

Taking my self out of the equation through I answered yes because I think there so many more games out today that cater to almost anyone taste and I also think it much more normalize then ever before. I have had long conversations about games with my supervisor at work for example. I think that more common now then ever before.

Xxain said:

You are missing the point here greatly.

We had Publishers rotating across a dozen IP across many different genres to now being reduced to just 3. Whether you care about those IP does not matter in this context. Publishers catalogs were had more variety. Yes, a lot of those are inactive because of business choices, but at least at that time Publishers were willing to explore new creative ideas even if the failed. That's how you find new IP's! Yakuza Pirates selling more than those IP's doesn't matter; We are being asked this question as CONSUMERS not from a business aspect (My answer would be totally different if that was the case). This isn't region based problem. It's all over industry. 

You are in the minority then, because majority of consumers think otherwise from what you say.

There's plenty of IPs and series that get introduced and games that get expanded from already existing IP.

Case in point with Dragon Ball Sparking Zero.

Case in point with all the indie groups and AA groups and the hundreds of games being made that are unique.

Case in point with new IPs and series being made such as Black Myth Wukong, Metaphor (spinoff but standalone from SMT), Ghost (Sony) series, etc.

There are existing series jumping into other genres, expanding their line up and that they have been doing for years such as Final Fantasy, etc

Just because SEGA isnt making new IPs doesnt mean the industry at a whole is on a disaster route. You just have limited taste.

Last edited by BasilZero - 2 hours ago

Around the Network

Things change, you just have to be ok with that. The plus today is that there is so much variety of genres. There is almost an infinite rainbow of different kinds of games. You also have different platforms, as well as many legacy ones, even handhelds. The only negative thing is that game systems don't have the coolness of the retro systems and people seem less attached to their systems, probably because having a console isn't anything special these days like it was 30 years ago. Even though i've only ever had Playstation consoles, i do realize that Nintendo has always had a system that the owner could connect more with.

LegitHyperbole said:
Norion said:

Yeah, but what is there is really impressive. Take a 90's gamer and put them in Wipepout in PSVR and they'd have a heart attack, literally shocked into the afterlife. 

Half-Life Alyx does look amazing yeah and that made me think of this video. 

Norion said:
LegitHyperbole said:

Half-Life Alyx does look amazing yeah and that made me think of this video. 

😆 The poor bastard. 

BasilZero said:
Xxain said:

That's just stupid. For somebody gaming as long as you say you have I can't believe the problem with this industry is not glaring to you.

Example:

In the past SEGA had about 8 teams. Each of those teams had at least 4 IP's the rotated between. Between those 8 teams SEGA had a lot of games in a lot of different genres. Let looks at DreamCast era. They had:

Sonic

Phantasy Star

Jet Set Radio

Shenmue

Crazy Taxi

Space Channel 7

ChuCHu Rocket

Samba De Amigo

Now SEGA is just Sonic, Yakuza, Persona/ Shin Megami. Sonic Team used to be responsible for Sonic/Phantasy Star/ Samba de Amigo/Puyo pop. This happening across the entire industry. Big companies with treasure troves of IP's being reduced to 2 or 3 games. CAPCOM: Resident Evil, Street Fighter, Monster Hunter. BANDAI NAMCO: Souls, Tekken, anime fighters. Outside of those Remasters!!

My friend. The amount of Remasters coming out should shine a light on the problem it self!

EDIT: I don't care if its reviving old IP's or making new ones; we need more variety. I love Yakuza but who asked for Pirate Yakuza? We just had 8, Gaiden, the Samurai one, in a very short amount of time. How about throw in something new. 

Nobody cares about Phantasy Star, Jet Set Radio, Shenmue, Crazy Taxi, Space Channel 7, ChuChuRocket or Samba De Amigo.

They are called dead IPs for a reason. Same with F-Zero, Earthbound, Banjo Kazooie, Breath of Fire, Viewtiful Joe,  Jak and Daxter, etc

That pirate Yakuza game will likely sell more than all the above mentioned games which is why these companies continue making more games from the same series.

Sonic, Yakuza, SMT/Persona keeps getting more games because these are the games people care about. Which is why SEGA/Atlus is making spinoffs of said games, Metaphor is basically a spinoff of SMT series (i.e. Soul Hackers 2 is sequel to Soul Hackers 1 which was a spinoff of SMT).

There's enough games old re-releasing and new coming out to satisfy everyone.

You dont like what games are coming out?

Quit gaming then. Get a new hobby.

Edit: Or maybe play games from more than 1 region or company.

Shenmue got a new game just a few years ago from fans who kickstarted it. A new Jet Set Radio is happening same with Crazy Taxi and fans of Jet Set Radio keep making tribute games from Hover. Lethal League and most recently Bomb Rush Cyberfunk. Earthbound series didn't die. Ito decided he no longer wanted to make more games. He told the stories he wanted to tell and he has his hand in many industries including as a chef. F-Zero got a new entry and a few tribute games like Fast RMX. Redout games and such. The demand is there. As for Banjo. Look as Smash and Yooka Laylee. Again demand is there. I never heard of Space Channel 7. Must be a sequel to Space Channel 5 I never knew about. PSOII does well so again there is demand for Phantasy Star Online or otherwise.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

firebush03 said:
rapsuperstar31 said:

True in the sense that you can still play all old games in addition to current games. To me nothing will beat playing N64 multiplayer with my friends in front of the couch for hours on end before going out for a watergun fight and coming back in to play some more Goldeneye.

I feel like you miss your childhood more than you miss N64. (Nostalgia does wonders in warping my perception.) Personally, my preference is for games of today over any time of the past.

I cannot swear to it but I think he may be talking more about couch co-op and experiencing games shoulder to shoulder with your friends.  I'm not so sure that is all nostalgia.  How many games these days offer 4 player local play.  Now playing with your friends mostly means wearing a headset.  The experience just isn't the same.

Personally I look back most fondly at the late 90s.  The N64 the PS1.  007/Perfect Dark and Tekken tourneys and not nearly the responsibility I have now.  Personal perspective of course since for me it was better due to not just fresh game ideas and huge leaps forward in the medium but also the time my friends and I had to play together.  Way more time then than I have today.