By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Metaphor: ReFantazio - Reviews: 94 Metacritic / 92 Opencritic

LegitHyperbole said:
Leynos said:

My copy is still in the mail. Also SMT series doesn't function like Persona. If you do play SMTV play in Vengence story not vanilla. Trust me.  Tho I love SMTV it's a bit different than other games in the series.  For entry level to the series it's great as well as SMTIII Nocturne HD.

Oh, you're in for a treat. The game takes everything that's annoying about persona and throws it out the window, it's wildly addicting, I'm only 17 hours in and I can't stop thinking about it when the controllers not in my hand. And will do, I'll follow the vengeance path cause I doubt I'll do both and wanna experience the most up to date, that's if it doesn't filter me (I hear they a brutal) or the QoL is lacking. 

I played the demo which was 8 hours, it still has the annoying traits of Persona 5 dungeon pacing.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
Leynos said:
LegitHyperbole said:

Oh, you're in for a treat. The game takes everything that's annoying about persona and throws it out the window, it's wildly addicting, I'm only 17 hours in and I can't stop thinking about it when the controllers not in my hand. And will do, I'll follow the vengeance path cause I doubt I'll do both and wanna experience the most up to date, that's if it doesn't filter me (I hear they a brutal) or the QoL is lacking. 

I played the demo which was 8 hours, it still has the annoying traits of Persona 5 dungeon pacing.

Eh, I feel like everything moves a lot quicker. The further you get in your more likely to come across blue enemies that you can beat in real time and also get a stun effect and hand up. As long as you're not playing on hard everything moves really fast and swift even on ps4 with loading on a HDD. It's got much better flow imo.

BTW, if you aren't playing on hard it's well worth doing the demo portion again and kill the sleeping Dragon. Pretty OP sword for warriors class. 

LegitHyperbole said:
Leynos said:

Eh, I feel like everything moves a lot quicker. The further you get in your more likely to come across blue enemies that you can beat in real time and also get a stun effect and hand up. As long as you're not playing on hard everything moves really fast and swift even on ps4 with loading on a HDD. It's got much better flow imo.

BTW, if you aren't playing on hard it's well worth doing the demo portion again and kill the sleeping Dragon. Pretty OP sword for warriors class. 

Got the sword first try lol. But yeah the battle system is Press turn from SMT. Tokyo Mirage Sessions is also press turn but with the added benefit of Encore which makes it in my mind the best turn based system Atlus ever did but also my fave in any game ever. Trails of Cold Steel did something similar but not as good to me.

Let's get this party started! Amazon delivered it finally.

Leynos said:
LegitHyperbole said:

Got the sword first try lol. But yeah the battle system is Press turn from SMT. Tokyo Mirage Sessions is also press turn but with the added benefit of Encore which makes it in my mind the best turn based system Atlus ever did but also my fave in any game ever. Trails of Cold Steel did something similar but not as good to me.

What exactly is press turn, I seem to have a skewed understanding of it.

Around the Network
Leynos said:

Let's get this party started! Amazon delivered it finally.

Nice one 

Also, New machina. I see you're a man of good taste. 

LegitHyperbole said:
Leynos said:

The blue stars are your turns in battle. If you hit a weakness you get an extra turn. Hit an enemy resistance and you can lose turns or all of them. Same for the enemy. So you want to chain attacks after an enemy's weakness. Those extra turns come in hand if you need to debuff an enemy. Heal. Buff your party and such.

Leynos said:
LegitHyperbole said:

The blue stars are your turns in battle. If you hit a weakness you get an extra turn. Hit an enemy resistance and you can lose turns or all of them. Same for the enemy. So you want to chain attacks after an enemy's weakness. Those extra turns come in hand if you need to debuff an enemy. Heal. Buff your party and such.

Oh, aye. At first it seemed like it was RNG based, they REALLY need to explain that in game. I had to look it up on the Internet to figure out exactly what was happening. 

I went for a session, thought I might do an hour and I just looked at the clock, it's been 8 hours, lmao. The game doesn't feel much like an RPG with the way it's structured nor does it, surprisingly, feel very open but it surely is interesting, immersive and addicting as all hell.

Last edited by LegitHyperbole - 3 days ago

Anyone else get the feeling like this isn't an RPG? Even by JRPG standards which usually deviate. This feels a lot more like that game Pyre by Supergiant or the banner saga which are labeled as RPG's but definitely aren't. I think it has something to do with the way the map opens up. I suppose it doesn't matter, it's only a feeling, on paper it's an RPG just wondering does anyone else feel the same...

Also, I consensus seems to be forming among people finishing the game at around 60 hours, I suspect this to increase as people who tackle side stuff as well start finishing. Really glad it's not 100 hours and over stays its welcome. If you want the plat it'll take 120 hours apparently cause you have to get well far into NG+. 

Last edited by LegitHyperbole - 3 days ago