By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games That Invented Genres?

It's interesting to think about what 'creating a genre' means. A game might not be the first to introduce certain gameplay elements, but could have popularized it, therefore became genre defining.

Examples:
Platform fighters - Smash Bros
Platformers - Super Mario Bros
Action adventures - Zelda
Metroidvania - Metroid/Symphony of the Night
Fighters - Streetfighter2
RTS - Warcraft2
Simulation - Sims
etc.

Around the Network
Leynos said:
Chrkeller said:

FE was Japan only?  As a kid I don't recall seeing it.

Yeah FE stayed in Japan until Blazing Blade for GBA. Possibly due to Smash Bros. TBH  Shining Force III is possibly better than any FE of that era. My friend is a FE superfan and feels that way and not even until the Wii game did the series catch up on some things Shining Force III did better according to him. I've only played the original FE. A couple 3DS games. Shining Force 1-3 tho are amazing.  Esp 3.

I have only played SFIII Episode I, are episodes II and III available in English.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Homeworld

Full 3D Space Strategy. I can't think of anything similar before it.

Chrkeller said:
Leynos said:

Yeah FE stayed in Japan until Blazing Blade for GBA. Possibly due to Smash Bros. TBH  Shining Force III is possibly better than any FE of that era. My friend is a FE superfan and feels that way and not even until the Wii game did the series catch up on some things Shining Force III did better according to him. I've only played the original FE. A couple 3DS games. Shining Force 1-3 tho are amazing.  Esp 3.

I have only played SFIII Episode I, are episodes II and III available in English.  

I think there are fan translations out there

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:
Chrkeller said:

I think there are fan translations out there

I need to check that out.  SF is one of my alltime favorite series.  Back on the genesis was I blown away.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network

Could Pirates! be defined as beginner of some genre? Elite was the first freelancer game, but it's still pretty different.
What about SimCity? What city builders existed before that?
Do we count Breakout separate genre from Pong?
And I don't think anyone has said Tetris.

Tober said:

It's interesting to think about what 'creating a genre' means. A game might not be the first to introduce certain gameplay elements, but could have popularized it, therefore became genre defining.

Examples:
Platform fighters - Smash Bros
Platformers - Super Mario Bros
Action adventures - Zelda
Metroidvania - Metroid/Symphony of the Night
Fighters - Streetfighter2
RTS - Warcraft2
Simulation - Sims
etc.

I think this is a more fun take to discuss but it is very different from the question asked. 

The first game in a genre often is not found being part of that genre until a game comes that popularizes it. What seem to define anything as its own gerne seem to be when a popular game gets copy-cats. A game that set the standard with most of the defining characters going forward for the genre is what I think of when talking about the first of its kind. 

Several genres are also such broad groupings while other gernes are more specific in what the criteria are. Every FPS for example looks to me very similar but since there are so many games in the genre I'm probably just ignorant and there are several different sub-genres worthy of its own name. 

Leynos said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Here is my take on what game invented a genre.  It isn't the earliest game of that style.  Instead it is the first popular game of that style.  Why?  Because if the game isn't popular enough, then we don't even consider it a new genre.  But if it is popular, then it inspires a bunch of imitators.  For example, FPS games in the 90's were actually called "Doom clones".  Doom is actually the game that created the FPS genre.  It doesn't matter that Wolfenstein 3D came first.  No one would be using FPS or "Doom clone" to name this genre if Wolfenstein 3D was the only example.  And Katamari Damacy is a unique style of game, but no one has come along to call it a "sticky roller genre" or "growing collector genre", because the game hasn't inspired enough imitators.  On the other hand Donkey Kong (1981) should be considered the first platformer.  It doesn't matter that Space Panic came first.  No one liked Space Panic (and it didn't even have a jump button), while Donkey Kong was one of the most popular arcade games and it definitely inspired a lot of other platformers that came after it.

So, the first game that is popular enough to inspire enough imitators to call it a genre, that is the game that I'd say invented the genre.  Here are a few examples:

Flimsy excuse and long winded way to say you don't know to name popular games you know.

The first in a genre is the first in a genre. Future games may become more popular but they learn from what came before.

Except I've named more games than anyone else.

If Wolfenstein 3D was the only FPS game, then there would never be a FPS genre.  It was not good enough to inspire imitators.  Once Doom came along, then there were a ton of imitators.  Doom is the game that actually made this style of game a genre.  The imitators are what turn a unique type of game into a whole genre.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Leynos said:

Flimsy excuse and long winded way to say you don't know to name popular games you know.

The first in a genre is the first in a genre. Future games may become more popular but they learn from what came before.

If Wolfenstein 3D was the only FPS game, then there would never be a FPS genre.  It was not good enough to inspire imitators.  Once Doom came along, then there were a ton of imitators.  Doom is the game that actually made this style of game a genre.  The imitators are what turn a unique type of game into a whole genre.

Naming more wrong answers means nothing. Wolfenstien wasn't the first either.

Maze War comes from the 1970s. Same with Spasim. Midi Maze on Atari ST. Hovertank from Id Software even predates Wolfen 3D. The name escapes me atm but NES had one. There is a reason we have the words first and popularize. Nintendo did not invent Analog sticks either but they popularized them. Apple did not invent MP3 players but they popularized them.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Naming more wrong answers means nothing. Wolfenstien wasn't the first either.

Maze War comes from the 1970s. Same with Spasim. Midi Maze on Atari ST. Hovertank from Id Software even predates Wolfen 3D. The name escapes me atm but NES had one. There is a reason we have the words first and popularize. Nintendo did not invent Analog sticks either but they popularized them. Apple did not invent MP3 players but they popularized them.

The games come first, then we invent words to describe the genre when there are enough games of that type.  Pong was not the first table tennis game, but none of us would be playing video games if it weren't for Pong.  The games that first popularize a genre really matter more than the game that was technically the first but was a bad game.