By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Is Nintendo finally back to being a powerhouse?

El Duderino said:
Yes Nintendo is back for good, I don´t need any data to prove it, anybody who knows action movies knows how it goes: Nintendo was the best in the land but beeing best made him arrogant and then new fighter challenged and beat him, stealing his girl (3rd parties). But then came a 80 montage scene where nintendo did some pushups and jogged through a coold forest or city. What we are seeing now is the epic end-fight. Is Nintendo going to win ??? Of course it will, but maybe the ending will leave room for a sequel: NextGenWars2: The Return of SEGA

I don't think Sega will come back for a while, if ever. Microsoft unofficially filled in their spot as a major video game industry.

Around the Network

"Is Nintendo finally back to being a powerhouse?" Yes. Now let's see what they do with it.

ya, but it made a great profit. I don't think the gamecube had as much great games. N64 had Rare which gave them Goldeneye, Banjo Kazooie and Tooie, Diddy Kong Racing, Perfect Dark, Conker,etc. N64 had other great games such as Paper Mario, Super Mario 64, and the greatest game of all time, Ocarina of Time. I believe the N64 had better games than the gamecube.

Nintendo is certainly getting cocky again, that's for sure.

wareagle372 said:
ya, but it made a great profit. I don't think the gamecube had as much great games. N64 had Rare which gave them Goldeneye, Banjo Kazooie and Tooie, Diddy Kong Racing, Perfect Dark, Conker,etc. N64 had other great games such as Paper Mario, Super Mario 64, and the greatest game of all time, Ocarina of Time. I believe the N64 had better games than the gamecube.

Wait. So you play Goldeneye when you were six? It was 1997!

You scare me.

Around the Network

Either way, the industry media routinely acknowledges N64 a failure and Xbox (1) a moderate success, despite the fact N64 reached 35 million or so units (going from memory) while Xbox reached 24. They also neatly ignore the facts that N64 made money while Xbox lost it, N64 successfully pushed the consumer to adopt workable 3D play mechanics while Xbox failed to get consumers to adopt online gaming (which is just about happening now), that Goldeneye outsold Halo and that N64 had what many a publication agree were 3 of the greatest games of all time while Xbox had 1 (2 if you count the direct sequel). It just tells you something about the effect of marketing dollars on industry (and editor) perception.

fishamaphone said:
wareagle372 said:

Oh, for that other guy, i am 16. my first video game console is the gameboy pocket, and first home console is the N64.

Yeah... I just want you to know, for your own information... anybody born in the 90's isn't actually allowed to be called a person. Only sub-humans were born that decade. I should know. My sister was born in '93. She's as sub-human as they come, and astonishingly enough, I've seen other people-- erm, excuse me, I've seen other things around her age that are even subber-human.

Really, eagle, I'm kinda sorry for you.

Phew, thank god I was born on the last day of the eighties then.

Nintendo is almost certain to be the most profitable this generation, whether they win or not is yet to be seen. They never actually lost the handheld market but there havent been any major challenges since they took control of it.  

bugmenot said:
Either way, the industry media routinely acknowledges N64 a failure and Xbox (1) a moderate success, despite the fact N64 reached 35 million or so units (going from memory) while Xbox reached 24. They also neatly ignore the facts that N64 made money while Xbox lost it, N64 successfully pushed the consumer to adopt workable 3D play mechanics while Xbox failed to get consumers to adopt online gaming (which is just about happening now), that Goldeneye outsold Halo and that N64 had what many a publication agree were 3 of the greatest games of all time while Xbox had 1 (2 if you count the direct sequel). It just tells you something about the effect of marketing dollars on industry (and editor) perception.

I really have to agree with you here.

It really does surprise me when people claim the original Xbox was a success. It was a monumental failure. It lost MS Billions, it barely outsold the Gamecube, it didn't even outsell the N64 (which sold more consoles, to a smaller market, and was profitable)

It failed to make any impact at all in Japan, which is one of the most important gaming markets in the world (I think more important than Europe, not because of userbase but because of developers)

It only kicked off one franchise which has seen good success.

It was supposed to "gain a foothold in the console market" but even at that is was a failure. With the largest budget and billions spent, MS managed to create a brand that is feared in Japan, moderate in Europe and semi-strong in US. The only reason they are doing well now is because the PS3 was an even bigger flop. Compare this to Sony, Nintendo, Atari, who all blew away the competition upon their entry.

The Xbox was a disaster, the best thing they managed to do was convince everyone is was a success.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

I think Gamecube has defeated the Xbox by now. Xbox died about a year ago, but I still see Gamecubes for sale.

but gamecube sales about 2,000 a week worldwide. It has a long way to go b4 beating the xbox