By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Like a Dragon: Pirate Yakuza in Hawaii

I think most people have Yakuza 0 as the best in the series.
So a new Yakuza game starring Majima is a great idea. And the pirate concept looks fun. Maybe it'll even be one of the best pirate games ever.

Only one potential issue:

Translators are at it again, 'romanticizing' the language when no such thing is present in the original Japanese version.

He said "Yosha!" (ようしゃ) which basically just means "Alright!"
But the translators turned it into "Avast ye, scallywags! Hoist the colors!"

If it doesn't occur often then I guess it won't be an issue adding some pirate flare here and there.
I plan to make a separate thread on this in the future though, because it's been happening in quite a few games in recent times. Unicorn Overlord being a prime example where I as an English speaker had no idea what I was reading a lot of the time. While the Japanese version had normal language.

----------------

- New Like A Dragon Gaiden game!
- Goro Majima is the main protagonist
- Majima washes up on a remote island, losing his memory, and reinvents himself as a pirate captain.
- Action Adventure with flashy action combat
- You can jump while in battle for the first time in the Yakuza/ Like A Dragon series
- Combos, juggles and aerial combat
- Majima has 2 fighting styles
- Mad Dog style: focused on speed and his signature flashy moves.
- Sea Dog (Pirate) style: dual wield swords, cutlass you can throw like a boomerang, battle wire, firearms and lots of feel good slashing action.
- 3 of the areas to explore are Hawai, Rich Island and Madlantis
- Customize outfits with around 200 items
- Mini-games such as Dragon Kart, Crazy Delivery and Karaoke
- Minato Girls: “Masaru’s Love Journey” with live action cut-scenes
- Coming Feb 28, 2025 to PlayStation, Xbox and PC!

Last edited by Hiku - on 20 September 2024

Around the Network

Waaaaaaaaaaay to many yakuza games geez iam so burned out on them

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

I've taken a break after Yakuza 6. I might just end it there as I havent been feeling much for the new Like a Dragon series.

Also, did they really just do a pirate theme just because Majima wears an eyepatch? loll xD

xl-klaudkil said:

Waaaaaaaaaaay to many yakuza games geez iam so burned out on them

Luckily for you, you get to choose what video games you play so don't buy it.  I can't wait for it, Majima is one of my favorite video game characters.

I forgot to mention that the Japanese title is Yakuza 8: Pirates in Hawaii

So the number still remains at 8, like Infinite Wealth. Perhaps that signifies the time period where this story takes place.

Last edited by Hiku - on 20 September 2024

Around the Network
Hiku said:

So the number still remains at 8, like Infinite Wealth. Perhaps that signifies the time period where this story takes place.

I'm currently playing Infinite Wealth.  There is a part where you build a resort on an Island where Pirates are dumping their trash onto.  Looks to be the same time period as Infinite Wealth.  

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

This is zanny even for Yakuza Standards. Still need to play 8, but the supposed bloat problem is holding me back.

Hiku said:

Translators are at it again, 'romanticizing' the language when no such thing is present in the original Japanese version.

He said "Yosha!" (ようしゃ) which basically just means "Alright!"
But the translators turned it into "Avast ye, scallywags! Hoist the colors!"

If it doesn't occur often then I guess it won't be an issue addi9ng some pirate flare.
I plan to make a separate thread on this in the future though, because it's been happening in quite a few games in recent times. Unicorn Overlord being a prime example where I as an English speaker had no idea what I was reading a lot of the time. While the Japanese version had normal language.

I thought I was the only one on here who's been noticing translation errors/changes over time (mostly with Anime/Manga translations). I say that because I barely see anyone here talking about it often.

I'm hoping it's just a one off error or two and not a complete warping/butchering of the actual words themselves. 

Also that reminds me, I really need to play catch up with the franchise (With the exception of the previous turn based one). 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Looks like a wild ride. Im all in

Hiku said:

Yeah, there are references to story stuff from Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth in the trailer. Guess it takes place a few months or years prior maybe.