By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo files lawsuit against Palworld developer

This would be highly upsetting if Nintendo patented such a basic game mechanic and this is what they're going after Pocketpair for. 

Around the Network

The way I understood it, Nintendo never lost such case in Japan, so when they sue, they are very certain in victory.

I'm not a fan of usual Nintendo bullshit when it comes to YT over-zealousness over their IPs, but in this case, another dev pretty much gave them the middle finger and hoped they would get away with it.

It would be terrible if they get them over some game mechanic patent (why those things can be patented at all is beyond ludicrous), but hey - karma is a bitch.

The infringement was so blatant, it was only a matter of time

HoloDust said:

The way I understood it, Nintendo never lost such case in Japan, so when they sue, they are very certain in victory.

I'm not a fan of usual Nintendo bullshit when it comes to YT over-zealousness over their IPs, but in this case, another dev pretty much gave them the middle finger and hoped they would get away with it.

It would be terrible if they get them over some game mechanic patent (why those things can be patented at all is beyond ludicrous), but hey - karma is a bitch.

Yeah, patenting game mechanics hinders innovation in gaming imo. I saw this that summed it up pretty well lol.

This is an awful development and hopefully Nintendo loses though I have little hope in that outcome. Patents are a nightmare for art forms like video games.

Around the Network

What do they even mean with patent right infringements? What could have Pocketpair taken from Nintendo? It cannot be the designs or the game ideas, that cannot be patented. Until they announce what they are actually suing for, I'm calling bullshit on this.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Nintendo being Nintendo.

If this really is a game mechanic that Nintendo supposedly patented, I hope they go after Microsoft next for WoW's battle pet catching mechanic lol.

I wonder when the patents being violated will actually be made public.

Not surprising, everyone knew they were going to get sued eventually.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Nintendo is mad because they don't make the best pokemon games anymore.

Joking aside, patents on game mechanics, not a fan.  I hope N loses this one.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED