Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ubisoft: Tencent, Guillemot Family Weighing Buyout

Assassin Creed Shadows will...

Succeed 16 29.63%

Fail 19 35.19%

Sell well but fail to meet expectations 16 29.63%

Other.. 3 5.56%

Total:54
LegitHyperbole said:

Last year is last year but it fluctuates wildly. Up 30% means nothing. When they make 500 million one year then 800 million another then 600 million. It just means they had a better year. Currently at 330 million for 2024 so unless Ass Creed sells, it's gonna be one hell of a contracted year. 

https://www.pcgamer.com/gaming-industry/despite-high-hopes-for-star-wars-outlaws-and-xdefiant-ubisofts-share-price-is-now-sitting-at-a-10-year-low/

If Ass Creed Shadow does not sell...

As I said, the company is as healthy as the likes of Square Enix, Konami, or Sega. You might as well think SE is in trouble after Rebirth flopping (though AC will still sell at least double or triple of a FF game).

That headline is kind of misleading because Ubisoft was highly inflated during the pandemic. It's a meaningless metric, especially considering the stock is undervalued now by maybe 40%. I get that grave dancing became popular among the toxic internet game culture, but your concerns are unwarranted.

Around the Network
spynx said:

Ubisoft has some great IPs that are performing and can rake in enough money. It has a lot of studios and can afford to layoff some workers if they are not performing. By this, Ubi is not in danger.

So the 17-19 thousand employees are in danger. Same thing.

haxxiy said:
LegitHyperbole said:

Last year is last year but it fluctuates wildly. Up 30% means nothing. When they make 500 million one year then 800 million another then 600 million. It just means they had a better year. Currently at 330 million for 2024 so unless Ass Creed sells, it's gonna be one hell of a contracted year. 

https://www.pcgamer.com/gaming-industry/despite-high-hopes-for-star-wars-outlaws-and-xdefiant-ubisofts-share-price-is-now-sitting-at-a-10-year-low/

If Ass Creed Shadow does not sell...

As I said, the company is as healthy as the likes of Square Enix, Konami, or Sega. You might as well think SE is in trouble after Rebirth flopping (though AC will still sell at least double or triple of a FF game).

That headline is kind of misleading because Ubisoft was highly inflated during the pandemic. It's a meaningless metric, especially considering the stock is undervalued now by maybe 40%. I get that grave dancing became popular among the toxic internet game culture, but your concerns are unwarranted.

Convince me the employees are safe, I could give a fuck about the company. 

LegitHyperbole said:
Leynos said:

Financially? No.

Lay offs?

Si.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Are they in existential danger? Nope.

Are they at risk of major layoffs? Absolutely. Between Skull & Bones, Star Wars Outlaws, Avatar: FoP, Watch Dog Legions, Ubisoft has been bleeding cash for years. The last huge success they had was The Division 2 in 2019, with nothing since then being a confirmed 5+ million seller (though the AC games likely HAVE sold decently).

Thing is, even relatively small layoffs from Ubisoft would be notable given how huge their number of employees is. They've already bled 2,000 jobs since 2022, and there are another 19,000 to lose.

Around the Network

Haven't watched it yet, thought I'd post though. 

Leynos said:
LegitHyperbole said:

Lay offs?

Si.

:(

LegitHyperbole said:

France has better labor laws than the US, like Japan, so employees are less likely to be fired on a whim, but layoffs are a fact of life in this industry. The turnover rate in the game industry is almost 23%.

haxxiy said:
LegitHyperbole said:

France has better labor laws than the US, like Japan, so employees are less likely to be fired on a whim, but layoffs are a fact of life in this industry. The turnover rate in the game industry is almost 23%.

There's more going on, the more I look into it the more complicated the situation is. There's internal strife in leadership. 

Danger of getting bought out maybe. For having 20,000 employees, they have little money compared to other major publishers.