By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Official Big 3 Quarterly/Annual Results for shipments to date & projections

BKK2 said:
getrdone said:

PS3 2.43
Xbox 360 2.2

Im kinda surprise that the ps3 shipped more than the 360 because in Sept. the 360 had a huge price cut.

Yeah, but price cut was near the end of the quarter, and Sony had to refill the channel with the new 80Gb after depleting the 40Gb in the previous quarter. Next quarter will be interesting it will be a full quarter of price cuts and hardware revisions.

Yeah, the price cut was at the end of sept.  But im sure mircosoft shipped a lot of 360 out before the price cut, to make sure the retailers wouldnt run out.  It just shows that the 360 really needed the price cut and was a good move by microsoft.

PSN ID: getrdone25

Around the Network

Huzzah.

Just Nintendo to come now.

My god, I know everyone already knows this, but PSP software is horrid.
And that's quite a big hit this quarter, I wonder why it goes up and down like this, perhaps Sony puts certain losses specifically in Q2 because I can't see why they made $50 million last quarter, but lost almost $400mil this quarter.... I was expecting a small loss or to turn about even.
Have I missed something that affects profits?

Edit... given the huge loss last Q2, is it possible they are lumping the expenses for the PSP 2000 and 3000 re-designs into this quarter?

Anyone else amazed that PS2 shipments topped PS3 shipments for the quarter? Must have been alot of PS3 extra stock at some point

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Not really, PS3 & PS2 shipments have been neck and neck for the last three quarters now. I expect both PS3 & PS2 will beat Sony's low forecasts this FY.

BKK2 said:

Not really, PS3 & PS2 shipments have been neck and neck for the last three quarters now. I expect both PS3 & PS2 will beat Sony's low forecasts this FY.

By the looks of it, all three will surpass their projections, PSP not by as much but only because they just raised it.

Around the Network

VGChartz numbers are just about in-line with the shipped numbers (~700k off for 360, ~600k off for PS3).

Tretton on PS3:

"We are tracking at 100 percent up over last year," he told Reuters. "... About 30 percent ahead of where we should be. So sales could slow down and we will still hit our number.

"I'd say we are able to meet somewhere between 80-90 percent demand, based on how things are trending,"

If things continued trending at 30% above their forecast that would mean another 9m for the rest of the year, but only being able to meet 80-90 percent of that means they'll only be able to ship 7.2m - 8.1m in the final two quarters. That puts an upper limit of 12m for the FY, and if we take the middle number would be 11.65m. That would be 10% above what they forecast for the second half of the year compared to the 30% seen in the first half, so there should be enough demand to ship all of what they produce.

This leads me to expect somewhere around 11.65m PS3s shipped this FY.

When is Nintendo's due? 9-10 hours?

6 hours.

Whenever 3pm JST is...

Found this gem on Seeking Alpha a moment ago (link below)

Nintendo (NTDOY.PK) shareholders are skittishly awaiting tomorrow’s scheduled earnings forecast. On August 29th the company raised its forecast fiscal 2009 sales by 11.1% and its net income by 26.2%.

A large part of the forecast growth in net income occurred because Nintendo management revised expected exchange rates to 105 yen per U.S. dollar from 100 and to 160 yen per euro from 155. As of today the actual rates are 97 yen per dollar and 125 yen per euro.

The surging value of the yen and the rapidly deteriorating economic conditions spell trouble for Nintendo. Shareholders now need to hope that Nintendo has not lost money by investing its cash hoard in any financial instruments that have collapsed in value.

The recent collapse in the price of Nintendo stock to 22,000 yen on October 28th strongly suggests that shareholders need to brace themselves. The stock reached a high of 73,200 yen on November 1, 2007; therefore, it has fallen 70%.

Nintendo has no debt and had $12.5 billion in cash as of March 31, 2008, so it is well positioned to survive this worldwide economic collapse. In fact there is probably not a company in the world with as strong a balance sheet as Nintendo.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/102649-shareholders-await-nintendo-forecast?source=yahoo

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu