By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Official Big 3 Quarterly/Annual Results for shipments to date & projections

dallas said:
TheSource said:
So this is just hours away then...

I assume that Sony is going to announce the shipments w/ its earnings as it has previously, and this isn't a matter of hours away, in fact the announcement is coming at the end of Oct.

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/info/calendar/index.html

When he made the post nearly four months ago Sony's earnings announcement was indeed just hours away. The preceeding post even gave the date of May 14, so it should be pretty clear that this isn't a recent post.

Around the Network

I-Sheng is the Taiwanese company that supplies the power cables for PS3. In a financial article they report that they had orders for 1,000,000 in July and August, but this increased by 500,000 to 1,500,000 in September.

Chinese
Google Translation

It doesn't really tell us much about retail shipments, but does give us an insight in to production shipments. It seems that they are ramping up production from 1m/month to 1.5m/month, which makes sense with Q4 almost upon us.

Driven by solid demand by video games, and the appeal of the Blu-ray disc movie system built into the devices, PlayStation 3 sales are some 30 percent better than Sony's plan so far in its fiscal year, according to Jack Tretton, Chief Executive of Sony Computer Entertainment of America.

As a result, he anticipates sales of the PS3 to reach a previously announced target of 10 million units by the end of the year, in March 2009.

"We are in good shape for that number worldwide," he said in an interview. "We are tracking at 100 percent up over last year ... about 30 percent ahead of where we should be. So sales could slow down and we will still hit our number."

They shipped 2.02m in the first two quarters of FY07, so that should put them at ~4m for the first two quarters of FY08. Q1 they shipped 1.56m, so if he's being honest then we should expect ~2.5m shipped in Q2.

BKK2 said:
Driven by solid demand by video games, and the appeal of the Blu-ray disc movie system built into the devices, PlayStation 3 sales are some 30 percent better than Sony's plan so far in its fiscal year, according to Jack Tretton, Chief Executive of Sony Computer Entertainment of America.

As a result, he anticipates sales of the PS3 to reach a previously announced target of 10 million units by the end of the year, in March 2009.

"We are in good shape for that number worldwide," he said in an interview. "We are tracking at 100 percent up over last year ... about 30 percent ahead of where we should be. So sales could slow down and we will still hit our number."

They shipped 2.02m in the first two quarters of FY07, so that should put them at ~4m for the first two quarters of FY08. Q1 they shipped 1.56m, so if he's being honest then we should expect ~2.5m shipped in Q2.

But i think they will be setting aside some units for Holiday quarter... so i think we will be seeing shipment in around 1.75 to 2m atmost.. more towards the lower end..

Noobie said:
BKK2 said:

But i think they will be setting aside some units for Holiday quarter... so i think we will be seeing shipment in around 1.75 to 2m atmost.. more towards the lower end..

Well, they had to restock the channel with the new 80Gb last quarter after clearing the channel of the old 40Gb the previous quarter, so I can see it being over 2m. It probably isn't as high as 2.5m though, as I'd expect Tretton to be rounding up to 100%.

As for stockpiling for the holiday season, it seems that they recently upped production for the holiday quarter, but he says they may have some minor shortages, so I'm not so sure that they have adequate stockpiles for the this period. We will see in their earnings release how much inventory they have, so we should get a rough idea from that.

Around the Network
BKK2 said:
Noobie said:
BKK2 said:

Well, they had to restock the channel with the new 80Gb last quarter after clearing the channel of the old 40Gb the previous quarter, so I can see it being over 2m. It probably isn't as high as 2.5m though, as I'd expect Tretton to be rounding up to 100%.

As for stockpiling for the holiday season, it seems that they recently upped production for the holiday quarter, but he says they may have some minor shortages, so I'm not so sure that they have adequate stockpiles for the this period. We will see in their earnings release how much inventory they have, so we should get a rough idea from that.

its hard for me to believe that last quarter when Sony had major releases like GTA and MGS they shipped only 1.5x m units of PS3 and this quarter they will ship 2m units..

i think it will be very hard for Sony to have more shipment then last quarter..

Nintendo's shipment results are tentatively scheduled to arrive on October 30th. Anyone know when Sony and Microsoft will report their info?

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

TheSource said:

Nintendo's shipment results are tentatively scheduled to arrive on October 30th. Anyone know when Sony and Microsoft will report their info?

http://www.microsoft.com/msft/default.mspx
Microsoft Q1 Earnings
Thursday, October 23, 2008
- After Market Close (4PM ET)

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/info/presen/index.html
Sony Q2 Earnings
Wednesday, October 29, 2008
- After Market Close (3PM JST)

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/schedule/index.html
Nintendo Q2 Earnings
Thursday, October 30, 2008
- After Market Close (3PM JST)

Hmm we're getting pretty close to Microsoft's results then. Should be interesting.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Cool microsoft's results are coming.