By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 36, 2024 (Sep 02 - Sep 08)

Around the Network

Those PS5 sales are painful. The price increase really hurt sales, but we shall see for how long. Looks like Xbox Series X|S sales have bounced back a bit.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Astro bot is a flop in Japan.

Yeah, it's a shame that Astro didn't sell better but the PS5 is just not the console Japan wants and even a fantastic exclusive isn't going to change that. The writing is on the wall already and GTA6 won't be able to save it in this region. If Switch 2 gets MHW day one, other similar titles will follow suit and then it's curtains for the PS5 in Japan.

Wow terrible sales for Astrobot. I was expecting it could move at least 50k units. Japan is a lost cause for Sony

Around the Network

I don't see the Switch sell less than 3M this year anymore, even just a small increase during the holidays is already enough now to get it over that mark. Crazy for a console in it's 8th year!

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 12 September 2024

Sony has a pricing issue in Japan. It's not only hardware.

In the US, Mario Kart & Astro Bot are both $60

In Japan Astro is approx 20% more expensive than Mario Kart, or any typical Nintendo priced game.

IcaroRibeiro said:

Wow terrible sales for Astrobot. I was expecting it could move at least 50k units. Japan is a lost cause for Sony

Might have a longer tail considering how well received the game is. Sony pretty much chose the worst week to hike the price of their console, which is seriously hampering Astrobot's sales in Japan.

Small IP's like AstroBot wouldn't necessarily do well even on the Switch, let alone the comically expensive PS5.

The new baseline will be a disaster. PS5 may rest in peace before the Switch 2 is launched lol.

Last edited by Kyuu - on 12 September 2024

I guess they're waiting for the PS5 Pro's launch before purchasing a console and Astro Bot.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.