By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 Pro is still far cheaper than a PC

So did a Neo Geo and a Panasonic 3D0. Still too much for most people. Esp as everything is rising in price even basic groceries. Min wage in some areas working 60 min affords you a gallon of milk. Anyone who brings up a phone comparison is short-sighted. Phones are a necessity these days. Consoles are not.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
crissindahouse said:
only777 said:

No, and if that's what you took away from my post then you are making the same mistake at lot of uninformed commentators are making.

No, the PS5 Pro is not nearly as good as an RTX 4080.  But it doesn't need to be to get the same result; and that's the point here.

Think about it.  Sony / Nixxes themselves say that to get 4k / 60fps with high Ray Tracing on PC with Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart, you will need:

Source: https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/games/ratchet-and-clank-rift-apart/pc/

But look at the videos both Sony and CNet have released of the same game running on PS5 Pro.

It is also running at 4k 60 fps with high Ray Tracing.

But because the PS5 Pro GPU & CPU are much lower than this, then how is it able to do it?

--------

The answer is PSSR.

And this is where a lot of people are getting it wrong. 

Unlike a 4080 which is natively rendering a 4K image, the PS5 Pro is not.  It's using AI to upscale a lower resolution up to 4K.

This is the big paradigm shift in graphics rendering.  AI is upscaling a lower resolution image to make it look identical to a native 4K image.

So no, the GPU is PS5 Pro is no where near a 4080.  But it doesn't need to be because this is the start of the big AI paradigm shift in graphics rendering.

Just use the same native resolution on PC as the PS5 Pro version runs and also upscale it on PC to 4k then? Why do you look at the results of native 4k on PC to compare it to upscaled to 4k on PS?

I'm sure games will look and run very nice on PS5 Pro but this just doesn't make any sense. You act as if PS5 Pro is the first machine which will let you upscale your resolution with AI

We are loooking at DLSS 3 quality upscaling here with PSSR.

It seems you its you that's actually unsure, because DLSS 3 is only offered on RTX 40 series cards

Source: https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/technologies/dlss/

Which is why its in the Recomended spec for Ratchet & Clank Rift aprt!

Sony want to make money by selling art, Nintendo want to make money by selling fun, Microsoft want to make money.

only777 said:
crissindahouse said:

Just use the same native resolution on PC as the PS5 Pro version runs and also upscale it on PC to 4k then? Why do you look at the results of native 4k on PC to compare it to upscaled to 4k on PS?

I'm sure games will look and run very nice on PS5 Pro but this just doesn't make any sense. You act as if PS5 Pro is the first machine which will let you upscale your resolution with AI

We are loooking at DLSS 3 quality upscaling here with PSSR.

It seems you its you that's actually unsure, because DLSS 3 is only offered on RTX 40 series cards

Source: https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/technologies/dlss/

Which is why its in the Recomended spec for Ratchet & Clank Rift aprt!

DLSS 3 upscaling is literally available on every single RTX card. Only Frame-Generation requires RTX 40 cards...

Pemalite said:

So Op. Why didn't you do an Apples to apples and use an AMD Radeon that is PS5 Pro equivalent and is cheaper than the RTX 4080?

Why an Intel CPU and not an AMD one?
Why 32GB of Ram and not 16GB?

You made the PC faster and wondering why it's more expensive?

I am doing apples to apples.  What you need for the same results (i.e: 4k 60fps).

I'm not using 16gig of RAM, because that's not what the spec says:

What people seem to be tripping up over is that we need to look at what is being produced on PS5 Pro (4k 60fps with high ray tracing), then what do we need on PC to recreate that same output.

Sony want to make money by selling art, Nintendo want to make money by selling fun, Microsoft want to make money.

only777 said:
Pemalite said:

So Op. Why didn't you do an Apples to apples and use an AMD Radeon that is PS5 Pro equivalent and is cheaper than the RTX 4080?

I am doing apples to apples.  What you need for the same results (i.e: 4k 60fps).

What people seem to be tripping up over is that we need to look at what is being produced on PS5 Pro (4k 60fps with high ray tracing), then what do we need on PC to recreate that same output.

What you seem to trip over or can't wrap your head around is that the PC requirements you post above are for native 4k/60FPS with high RT, while the one on the PS5 Pro are upscaled 4k/60FPS with an unknown amount of RT. That's not Apples to Apples, that's comparing a melon to a watermelon and saying because both contain 'melon" in their name they are the same thing.

You need much less performance if you just upscale to 4K from a smaller resolution (like 1440p for instance), and we don't know how much raytracing is being used in the PS5 Pro version of the game, which could very well be less than the high RT setting on PC. Adding both together and your GPU needs drop down considerably to more something like a 7700XT instead of an 4080 or 7900XTX.

Around the Network
only777 said:
Pemalite said:

Agreed.  And the answer ISNT 4080.  It is a 4070 or 7700.  Both are $500, not $1000.

Fact is you are wrong in your OP.  Just own it.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Bofferbrauer2 said:
only777 said:

What you seem to trip over or can't wrap your head around is that the PC requirements you post above are for native 4k/60FPS with high RT, while the one on the PS5 Pro are upscaled 4k/60FPS with an unknown amount of RT. That's not Apples to Apples, that's comparing a melon to a watermelon and saying because both contain 'melon" in their name they are the same thing.

I said it was upscaled!  But have you used DLSS3?  This is what people are saying PSSR is the same as.

Anyone that actaully used DLSS3 has will tell you that trying to tell the difference between Native 4K and DLSS3 is practically impossible.  So for all intents and purposes, the PS5 Pro is doing 4K at 60fps with high Ray Tracing.  The same as a 4080.

only777 said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

I said it was upscaled!  But have you used DLSS3?  This is what people are saying PSSR is the same as.

Anyone that actaully used DLSS3 has will tell you that trying to tell the difference between Native 4K and DLSS3 is practically impossible.  So for all intents and purposes, the PS5 Pro is doing 4K at 60fps with high Ray Tracing.  The same as a 4080.

I'm not sure what logic you don't understand.  A 4070 can do ratchet at 1440p 60 fps, use upscaling to produce a 4k image.  JUST LIKE THE PS5 PRO.

A 4080 at 1440p upscaled to 4k will be 100 to 120 fps, not 60 fps.  Hence the Pro ISNT a 4080.

You are wrong.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:

Agreed.  And the answer ISNT 4080.  It is a 4070 or 7700.  Both are $500, not $1000.

Are you blind?

only777 said:
Chrkeller said:

Are you blind?

That is NATIVE.  If you do 1440p upscaled the 4080 is going to be 100 to 120 fps, not 60 fps.

You are flatly wrong.  

A 4070 using upscaling matches the Pro at $500.  And I'm being nice because Nvidia crushes AMD with RT.  This will likely hold, I suspect AMD hasn't suddenly made drastically improvements to RT. 

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 12 September 2024

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED