By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 Pro is still far cheaper than a PC

RedKingXIII said:

.; you'll be able to play games from the PS6 generation if you lower the settings while you can't do that with a PS5.

The jury is still out on that one, considering how long the cross-gen phase lasted this gen.

Around the Network
haxxiy said:
Chrkeller said:

I read a couple of tech articles; they have the ps5 pro GPU same as a RX6800. Amazon has one for £350, which is not remotely close to a £1,000 GPU.

The PS5 Pro is 60 CUs RDNA3.5, according to leaks, the closest equivalent being a slightly underclocked RX7800 with better RT.

Since I have a 4090, which isn't even twice as fast on raster, I'm not going to complain on their premium pricing.

Good for you. The market for 4090 owners is basically the same market that will buy the PS5 Pro anyway = people who like burning money and telling people about it.

The graphics performance described is about comparable to an RX 7700XT. 

Here is a PC for about $900 that should be roughly comparable. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dtLtwg

Yes, still more than $700, but I picked the parts in 5 minutes and didn't look for any deals. Add on a few years of PS Plus and it is a wash, pretty much. 

Edit: I plan to get a PS5 Pro anyway, because I need a second PS5 for my partner's house and I am hoping for better native resolution in VR titles. 

sc94597 said:

Yes, still more than $700, but I picked the parts in 5 minutes and didn't look for any deals. Add on a few years of PS Plus and it is a wash, pretty much. 

Edit: I plan to get a PS5 Pro anyway, because I need a second PS5 for my partner's house and I am hoping for better native resolution in VR titles. 

Yeah if you shop around, take your time, wait for all the parts to arrive, build, install, configure, maintain. It's not hard work but it is time consuming (and sometimes it does turn into a lot of trial and error). If you only have little time to play, consoles are still the best way to go.

Btw, you still need OS, Keyboard, Mouse, Controller, HDMI cable to complete the PC. PS5 Pro comes with a controller ($75) and HDMI 2.1 cable.

And then while it's comparable, performance will always be more stable on console until you have plenty overhead on PC.

I will get one for PSVR2, that's where the biggest difference will be. On TV I don't see the difference between 1440p and 4K anyway, plus 30 fps on TV doesn't bother me. VR is a different beast. Hopefully more PSVR2 titles will be native 90 fps on the pro, yet 60 with higher resolution is fine too.

I have the means to buy/build a big VR capable PC, just don't have / don't want to spend the time on it. Time > Money in my current stage of life. Plus I do like physical editions, so hard to find now for PC :/ (Nor does my gaming laptop have a disc drive lol)

SvennoJ said:
sc94597 said:

Yeah if you shop around, take your time, wait for all the parts to arrive, build, install, configure, maintain. It's not hard work but it is time consuming (and sometimes it does turn into a lot of trial and error). If you only have little time to play, consoles are still the best way to go.

Btw, you still need OS, Keyboard, Mouse, Controller, HDMI cable to complete the PC. PS5 Pro comes with a controller ($75) and HDMI 2.1 cable.

And then while it's comparable, performance will always be more stable on console until you have plenty overhead on PC.

I will get one for PSVR2, that's where the biggest difference will be. On TV I don't see the difference between 1440p and 4K anyway, plus 30 fps on TV doesn't bother me. VR is a different beast. Hopefully more PSVR2 titles will be native 90 fps on the pro, yet 60 with higher resolution is fine too.

I have the means to buy/build a big VR capable PC, just don't have / don't want to spend the time on it. Time > Money in my current stage of life. Plus I do like physical editions, so hard to find now for PC :/ (Nor does my gaming laptop have a disc drive lol)

The nice thing about gaming PC's is that most of these accessories are forward compatible. If somebody has owned a console since the Xbox 360 they can use that controller on a PC for just about any game. The same isn't true for consoles, so attaching the controller with the platform is an obligation on the platform holder. OS used to be a significant cost, but SteamOS (or any other Linux Distro) is free, and Windows licenses cost about $20 if one doesn't want to go the Linux route.

Isn't the disc drive a separate $80 purchase on the PS5 pro?

But yeah, if one wants a seamless experience without tinkering or doesn't get enjoyment from building a PC, consoles  make more sense. 

Was mostly just focusing on the cost-analysis. 

Around the Network
sc94597 said:

The nice thing about gaming PC's is that most of these accessories are forward compatible. If somebody has owned a console since the Xbox 360 they can use that controller on a PC for just about any game. The same isn't true for consoles, so attaching the controller with the platform is an obligation on the platform holder. OS used to be a significant cost, but SteamOS (or any other Linux Distro) is free, and Windows licenses cost about $20 if one doesn't want to go the Linux route.

Isn't the disc drive a separate $80 purchase on the PS5 pro?

But yeah, if one wants a seamless experience without tinkering or doesn't get enjoyment from building a PC, consoles  make more sense. 

Was mostly just focusing on the cost-analysis. 

True, I'm still using my 90's ACER mechanical keyboard, now with ps/2 to USB adapter plugged into my laptop. Mice don't last that long though, neither do controllers. Actually I am also still using the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro flight stick for FS2020, originally bought for FSX. And I do use a wired 360 controller for PC games! (Bought it new though, my original 360 controllers don't support data over the cable)

And yes, Disc Drive sold separately for PS5 Pro :/

Anyway yeah, you can get close when shopping around, which is pretty crazy. But for me, time to pick up PS5 Pro and plug it in is negligible compared to time to build/setup/maintain PC. Time is money, part of the cost analysis for me :)

Anyway fresh new controller, 2TB storage space, and better PSVR2 performance overall. I'm in.

SvennoJ said:
sc94597 said:

It isn't hard to build a PC.  I built my first one last year and it took at most 2 hours.  

Also windows OS is free. It has a stupid water mark but it is free.

5 years of PSN is $400, so I wouldn't worry about the cost of an HDMI cable.  

If people want to argue consoles are cheaper, I honestly think it depends on what type of gamer a person is. 

Ps5 pro + online (5 years) + Xbox Series X + Nintendo online (5 years) 

The above is $1,850, which builds a great PC that will out class consoles.  And I can play Sony and MS games.  Online is free.  And all those great Nintendo classics -> retroarch 

The above may not be applicable to you, which is fine.  But personally I found the value of PC through the roof as a result of what I can use it for.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

SvennoJ said:

I will get one for PSVR2, that's where the biggest difference will be.

.... if the popular PSVR2 games get Pro patches.

Chrkeller said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Do we know if it's really upscaling only?

I mean, AMD has also introduced frame generation, so I guess it's not impossible PSSR also has this feature.

That was the way I interpreted the reveal.  I mean if it does more than resolution, Sony did a poor job at explaining.

Well, they were promoting the power of the console, wouldn't look so well if they would show that they had to "cheat" with additional AI frames to reach the framerates they were advertising.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Chrkeller said:

That was the way I interpreted the reveal.  I mean if it does more than resolution, Sony did a poor job at explaining.

Well, they were promoting the power of the console, wouldn't look so well if they would show that they had to "cheat" with additional AI frames to reach the framerates they were advertising.

Fair point.  Though I'm going to laugh if the pro still can't hit 60 fps.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED