By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 Pro is still far cheaper than a PC

Chrkeller said:
twintail said:

Are there mini PCs comparable to the power output of a PS5 Pro? Genuinely curious about this.

Depends what you mean by mini.  I built a 4070 rig for my daughter that is using a fractal Terra.  Kind of the size of two gamecubes.  

A 4070 is probably still ahead of the Pro.  

interesting, I'll look into this, thanks. 

Around the Network
twintail said:
Chrkeller said:

Depends what you mean by mini.  I built a 4070 rig for my daughter that is using a fractal Terra.  Kind of the size of two gamecubes.  

A 4070 is probably still ahead of the Pro.  

interesting, I'll look into this, thanks. 

Visual size comparison of FD Terra, FD Ridge, NZXT-H1 vs PS5 and XSX:

https://comparesizes.com/comparison/NZXT-H1-vs-PlayStation-5-vs-Xbox-Series-X-vs-Fractal-Design-Terra-vs/1691089327983

There's videos out there with 4080 in Ridge and 4080S in Terra, so you can really go high end in such a small cases.

With how underpowered the CPU for the PS5 is, it doesn't matter how strong the GPU is.

It will be equal to an undervolted 4070 to keep heat in check.

After that, sure you get more performance than a base PS5 and a RX 6700 xt / rtx 3070 but a 4070 will still clear the PS5 by a bit.

And at that point, with how much a PC can do... You can't really justify upgrading if you already have something similar + a base PS5.

I'm starting to believe that the PS5 pro is a marketing tactic by Sony, they put such an outrageous price on the thing so you look at the Base PS5 and say "Damn, this is the better deal".

This is clearly a product for the enthusiasts.
Can't afford it, don't buy it. No point crying about it.

Geralt99 said:

Enthusiast what? Enthusiast PlayStation fans? I you're an enthusiast gamer who's willing to spend top dollar for high performance, there's no reason you shouldn't spend the bit extra to build a high level PC rig which would offer a lot more.

Be honest, this product is only aimed at the rich and lazy or irrational fanboys. This is basically just Sony testing the waters for how much arrogance they can currently get away with, and how much of their current market is willing to be milked. Just the thought of that should disturb you.

Around the Network
Shaunodon said:
Geralt99 said:

Enthusiast what? Enthusiast PlayStation fans? I you're an enthusiast gamer who's willing to spend top dollar for high performance, there's no reason you shouldn't spend the bit extra to build a high level PC rig which would offer a lot more.

Be honest, this product is only aimed at the rich and lazy or irrational fanboys. This is basically just Sony testing the waters for how much arrogance they can currently get away with, and how much of their current market is willing to be milked. Just the thought of that should disturb you.

Yeah, enthusiast for Playstation.  My brother doesn't want to deal with PC and is considering the Pro.  It is a jump for sure.  

He isn't lazy nor a fanboy.  He has a collection of ps5 games and wants the fidelity boost.  I don't see what is wrong with that.  

Nvidia sells a 4050 and a 4090.  Different hardware for different people.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Just to respond to the title : No.

Crown said:

Just to respond to the title : No.

Sony should have called the PS5 Pro the PS5 No at this point

Chrkeller said:
Shaunodon said:

Yeah, enthusiast for Playstation.  My brother doesn't want to deal with PC and is considering the Pro.  It is a jump for sure.  

He isn't lazy nor a fanboy.  He has a collection of ps5 games and wants the fidelity boost.  I don't see what is wrong with that.  

There's nothing wrong with that. It's just a hard pill to swallow for most considering they paid only $400 for an "enthusiast" device in 2016, and this time around, those same gamers are being asked to pay nearly double. More than double in certain countries. 

G2ThaUNiT said:
Chrkeller said:

There's nothing wrong with that. It's just a hard pill to swallow for most considering they paid only $400 for an "enthusiast" device in 2016, and this time around, those same gamers are being asked to pay nearly double. More than double in certain countries. 

Personally, I find it more difficult to pay for online.  Paying for online is a scam and one of the reasons I went PC.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED