By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 Pro revealed. November 7th 2024. $699

method114 said:
G2ThaUNiT said:

Hmmm, PS5 Pro pre-orders are still available for purchase. I was figuring pre-orders would have at least sold out by now as any console typically does.

Did the Pro consoles sale out last gen though? Mid gen refreshes are a new thing so we can't really compare it to a normal console release.

I walked into Gamestop a day or two after the PS4 pro came out, traded in my PS4 and walked out with the 4 pro for about 175 after trade in.

Around the Network
method114 said:
G2ThaUNiT said:

Hmmm, PS5 Pro pre-orders are still available for purchase. I was figuring pre-orders would have at least sold out by now as any console typically does.

Did the Pro consoles sale out last gen though? Mid gen refreshes are a new thing so we can't really compare it to a normal console release.

Pre-orders I remember sold out, but they were readily available at launch. Like you could walk into a store at launch and still get a PS4 Pro.

What's also different this time around though is the pre-orders for the PS4 Pro were where you would expect such as GameStop, Amazon, Best Buy, etc. but with the PS5 Pro, you can currently only buy it on the PS Store. Which with their only being a single source to buy the console, I figured pre-orders would at least have still sold out.

We obviously don't know how many pre-order units Sony made available for either PS4 Pro or PS5 Pro. They could have had few available for retailers in 2016 but a huge amount available on PS Store in 2024, so there's still question marks until sales figures start to come in. 

G2ThaUNiT said:
method114 said:

Pre-orders I remember sold out, but they were readily available at launch. Like you could walk into a store at launch and still get a PS4 Pro.

What's also different this time around though is the pre-orders for the PS4 Pro were where you would expect such as GameStop, Amazon, Best Buy, etc. but with the PS5 Pro, you can currently only buy it on the PS Store. Which with their only being a single source to buy the console, I figured pre-orders would at least have still sold out.

We obviously don't know how many pre-order units Sony made available for either PS4 Pro or PS5 Pro. They could have had few available for retailers in 2016 but a huge amount available on PS Store in 2024, so there's still question marks until sales figures start to come in. 

Yea we really wont not for certain until numbers come out. Will be interesting to see how it performed one way or the other. I know people are pissed about the price but I don't have much of an issue with it since it's not mandatory and IMO the base PS5 works very well (while the base PS4 was a PIA to use). I already have mine preordered but I plan on selling my slim PS5 and thankfully I still have the box and everything. I had to buy a new PS5 this year (thunderstorm took out my original) knowing the pro was also coming. 

BraLoD said:

They just need to sell a modular disc player like they are already doing, but that can read cds and dvds too, let emulation take care of the rest.

The PS5 drive can already read DVDs.

And I'm pretty sure that there is no hardware incompatibility for reading CDs... Sony just decided to not offer that feature with their software.

Conina said:
BraLoD said:

They just need to sell a modular disc player like they are already doing, but that can read cds and dvds too, let emulation take care of the rest.

And I'm pretty sure that there is no hardware incompatibility for reading CDs... Sony just decided to not offer that feature with their software.

I remember some people saying PS4 could not run cds or dvds from PS1 and PS2 because it lacked the laser compatibility or something like that, and after all this years I was never able to see a hacked PS4 playing PS1 or PS2 emulated games directly from discs, so I dunno.

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
Conina said:

I remember some people saying PS4 could not run cds or dvds from PS1 and PS2 because it lacked the laser compatibility or something like that, and after all this years I was never able to see a hacked PS4 playing PS1 or PS2 emulated games directly from discs, so I dunno.

Must be software as the specs say the laser can read CDs

You need the red laser for DVD (blue laser for Blu-ray) which can also read CDs.

With PS5 however Sony might have found a way to use the blue laser to read DVDs. There's no mention of CDs in the Laser section of the PS5 HW specs. Or maybe they just left it out this time.

To be fair, it is kind of a bad console design having it need the stand in the first place.
I don't mind the design of the PS5 even if it looks like a large router. But I find it strange that they keep the design so similar between the Pro, Slim and original models. There was a lot of initial backlash for it if I remember correctly. Someone skipping the thing because of how it looks in the living room will keep on not picking up the new models.

SvennoJ said:
BraLoD said:

Must be software as the specs say the laser can read CDs

You need the red laser for DVD (blue laser for Blu-ray) which can also read CDs.

With PS5 however Sony might have found a way to use the blue laser to read DVDs. There's no mention of CDs in the Laser section of the PS5 HW specs. Or maybe they just left it out this time.

I would definitely love to be able to play all my PS physical discs on the PS5 or PS4, that would make things so convenient.

I used to keep multiple systems hooked up but since I got the PS5 I've only kept the PS5 and the Switch plugged all times, I can easily pick up the PS3 and PS4 when I need and plug them using the PS5 cables, so I can play PS1, PS3 and PS4 games with ease, but sadly my PS3 is not the early models blessed with PS2 BC so it would help me a lot there.