By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 Pro revealed. November 7th 2024. $699

Mr.GameCrazy said:
VersusEvil said:

But just think how good those PS4 games will look!!

Who cares about PS4 games!? Where's the new games (besides Astro Bot)!?

FF7 Rebirth is getting an upgrade, Alan Wake 2, DD2. 

Around the Network
Wman1996 said:
Soundwave said:

You're never going to see a Sony console will a disc drive standard ever again, so you might as well say bye bye to that idea period. High chance PS5/Pro are even the last systems where it will be an option period. 

99% chance PlayStation is done with built-in disc drives from PS5 Pro onward. 

50% chance PS6 won't have a disc add-on. 

It's obvious Microsoft and Sony wanted no built-in disc drives (potentially even no add-ons) from the start of this generation. But they read the room and know they have to wait. 

I think they keep the addon disc drive permanently from here on out. I don't think they get rid of it until they see physical sales drop much lower. They are still to high to ignore.

method114 said:
Wman1996 said:

99% chance PlayStation is done with built-in disc drives from PS5 Pro onward. 

50% chance PS6 won't have a disc add-on. 

It's obvious Microsoft and Sony wanted no built-in disc drives (potentially even no add-ons) from the start of this generation. But they read the room and know they have to wait. 

I think they keep the addon disc drive permanently from here on out. I don't think they get rid of it until they see physical sales drop much lower. They are still to high to ignore.

Too high? Digital PlayStation sales have already eclipsed 80%. And with the Pro model not coming with a disc drive by default, Sony is quite quickly joining MS in their push for a digital future. 

I still think PlayStation has 1 more generation of disc drives being a separate add-on though. 

It'll be a great exercise in showcasing how much gamer enthusiasts is willing to swallow before the pill is simply too big to even get into your mouth.

Of course, the 2TB SSD is definitely worthy of note for the reason which is why we ain't seeing the awaited 599 price instead. Nonetheless .... Of course they gotta fuck up everyone else with the exchange rates as well.

699£ is just astonishing how bad this is getting. 800 Euros is gonna price out the majority of the EU market. There's also the thousand mark being likely for both Canadians and Australians .... Just wow.

And the cherry on top ... 120,000¥ ?!!! This is basically unachievable for the great majority of Japanese players.

Appart from launch and maybe the holiday bump, this will be an almost unnoticeable presence to the overall PS5 sales. Not even 10% of the total sounds like a real possibility.

Last edited by Mar1217 - on 10 September 2024

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

G2ThaUNiT said:
method114 said:

Too high? Digital PlayStation sales have already eclipsed 80%. And with the Pro model not coming with a disc drive by default, Sony is quite quickly joining MS in their push for a digital future. 

I still think PlayStation has 1 more generation of disc drives being a separate add-on though. 

Where are you getting 80% from? Last I read it was 70% digital

Also I'm not so sure Sony looks at a situation like this and judges it as a whole. For instance if in China Physical sales were still very high compared to the rest of the world I don't think they go all digital as quickly. I could be wrong though I'm not sure what their mindset is with that. IMO it would be dumb to even consider it until MS cuts off physical first and I don't think they even consider going all digital until MS does first.

Around the Network
method114 said:
G2ThaUNiT said:

Where are you getting 80% from? Last I read it was 70% digital

Also I'm not so sure Sony looks at a situation like this and judges it as a whole. For instance if in China Physical sales were still very high compared to the rest of the world I don't think they go all digital as quickly. I could be wrong though I'm not sure what their mindset is with that. IMO it would be dumb to even consider it until MS cuts off physical first and I don't think they even consider going all digital until MS does first.

That was the average for the full year of 2023. Q1 FY24 PlayStation eclipsed 80% digital sales. Still, looking at that chart, seeing it going from a measly 19% to 70% in just 8 years is an insanely striking number to look at. 

But yeah, MS does tend to bite the bad news bullet first lol. They'll be the first to go all digital, then PlayStation will most likely soon follow.

Digital ratios are misleading because they account for the smaller titles that are only available in digital format.

The ratio for full priced games that are also available in disc format is closer to 45:55 in digital's favor. Sony ditching physical too soon would be suicidal.

Kyuu said:

Digital ratios are misleading because they account for the smaller titles that are only available in digital format.

The ratio for full priced games that are also available in disc format is closer to 45:55 in digital's favor. Sony ditching physical too soon would be suicidal.

Your 100% right about this and I completely forgot about this. 

Kyuu said:

Oooof, yeah very good point! 

drkohler said:
Soundwave said:

$699 for Americans isn't even that bad, lol, look at the Euro pricing 800 EUROs. LMAO.

US: $700 without tax.

Europe: Euro 800 with tax. Tax is roughly in the 15-20% range in EU countries, so without tax it is in the $600-640 range.

(It will actually be interesting to see the Swiss price, as taxes are only around 9% and $/SFr exchange rate is rock bottom currently. I can see Germans smuggling PS5Pros across the border...)

That would be true if 1 dollar = 1 Euro. But that's not the case, 1 Euro equals 1.11 dollar right now.

In other words, the price of the PS5 Pro in Europe equals $888. Even with a 22% tax rate that would result in over $700.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 10 September 2024