By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 Pro revealed. November 7th 2024. $699

The thing I don't understand is why Microsoft refuse to make "pro model of Xbox", something like "Xbox Series M" in order to compete with PS5 Pro. They had XOX in 2017 and as for today they have nothing to offer in upper segment.

Around the Network
Zippy6 said:

Why on earth is it a 2TB SSD??? Sell it with a 1TB SSD at $599 would have been a WAY more acceptable product lol.

Not with today's SSD pricing anymore. A 1TB SSD is about $50 cheaper in retail and probably about $30 cheaper in production, so Sony would never cut down the price by $100 for an 1TB SSD. Maybe $50, but only if Sony feels generous - which as the price tag of the Pro shows, they don't

Soundwave said:
Kyuu said:

Who cares about Xbox though? PC/Steam will be fucking them up. This is the first time I'm skipping a Playstation console in favor of PC, and there are millions like me.

Sony knows they have people by the balls. $700 US/800 Euro (LOL) is a ton of money, but Sony knows full well you can't build a comparable PC for the same cost. 

AMD has basically said they're not even going to try and compete with Nvidia's flagship GPUs anymore, so Nvidia will charge through the ass for their future GPUs at $1000+ for any of the really good models. For Nvidia, gaming GPUs are becoming a tiny part of their overall business anyway, Switch + PC GPUs (gaming business) represented like only 9% of their entire revenue in their latest earnings report. Nvidia is basically going to become an AI services focused company. 

Gamers are just gonna have to accept getting fucked up the ass in pricing to have smaller and smaller tangiable graphical gains, that's all there is to it. Say bye bye to price cuts too. 

Sony thinks they have the people by the balls.

But with their games also releasing on PC now, the PS5 Pro is actually a pretty good incentive to buy a gaming PC instead. For 800€ (plus disc drive and stand probably more like 950€) you can actually build a decent PC.

I just went to Mindfactory.de and looked what I could get for a cheap price that can compete with the PS5 Pro:

• CPU: Ryzen 7 5700X3D tray (174€)
  • Mainboard: gigabyte B550 mATX (76€)
  • GPU: Radeon RX 7700XT Hellhound (399€)
  • Tower: AeroCool Shard (36€)
  • Tower Fans: 3x Xilence XPF PWM 120mm fans (11€ for 3)
  • CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Pure Rock slim 2 (24€)
  • PSU: Be Quiet! System power 750W 80+ Bronze (69€)
  • Storage: 2TB Kingston NV2 PCIe 4.0 (104€)
  • RAM: 32GB G.Skill Aegis DR4-3200 (49€)
  • OS: Linux (Garuda or Nobara distros are great both for gaming and as a daily driver, or SteamOS if you prefer): 0€

Which gives us a fully functioning gaming PC for... 942€, so just 143€ more than the PS5 Pro in Europe (and about the same as PS5 + disc drive + stand!), while probably being more powerful, especially on the CPU side. And PC games tend to be cheaper and you don't have to pay extra for such basic things like cloud saves or online play...

Edit: forgot the RAM

Random_Matt said:

I only just noticed the Xbox series X 2TB is a rip off at $599 and a lot weaker.

The XSX 2TB is a bit more powerful than the base PS5 and costs about 600€. if the 45% performance improvement over the base PS5 is true, then the PS5 Pro will be about 30-40% more powerful than the XSX for $100 more... without disc drive or stand that is. if you take that into account, then the XSX actually does look somewhat cheap compared to the PS5 Pro, especially in Europe, where a PS5 Pro with stand and disc drive is about 50% more expensive than a 2TB XSX.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 10 September 2024

Kaz is laughing and saying I told people to get 2 jobs to pay for a PlayStation console before it was cool!

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Vorodroid said:

The thing I don't understand is why Microsoft refuse to make "pro model of Xbox", something like "Xbox Series M" in order to compete with PS5 Pro. They had XOX in 2017 and as for today they have nothing to offer in upper segment.

Right now, they're looking pretty smart not having a mid-gen refresh. Especially considering how much Microsoft has been struggling to sell consoles in general. There were plans from the FTC hearings for a mid-gen refresh, but I'm guessing they saw how much it'll cost and decided not to.

I'll be shocked if PS5 Pro sells half of what the PS4 Pro did. Which was about 15 million units. 

I do think Sony deserves credit for pulling off the impossible. Getting gamers to universally agree on something is nigh impossible, well until now.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network

It seems like every few months, modern gaming takes a step further away from me. At this point, my NES and PS2 sitting over there is looking more and more like where it ends for me. I can't imagine the industry coming back from the ledge it's on.

Day 1 purchase for me. Will trade in the regular PS5.

Only downside is the lack of optical drive... No increase in DRAM capacity (Same limitation of the PS4 Pro) and no real tangible improvements to the CPU, so Ray Tracing is going to be bottlenecked on those ancient Zen2 cores.

As for the comparisons to the Series X... Remember that the Series X is often the same price as the regular PS5 and has lost in every single region in terms of sales despite offering more performance. - Clearly hardware isn't important up to a point.

Secondly... The Series X has an optical drive.

Honestly this is going to be priced out of reach for most consumers, so I expect it's success to be marginal at best.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

G2ThaUNiT said:
Vorodroid said:

Right now, they're looking pretty smart not having a mid-gen refresh. Especially considering how much Microsoft has been struggling to sell consoles in general. There were plans from the FTC hearings for a mid-gen refresh, but I'm guessing they saw how much it'll cost and decided not to.

I'll be shocked if PS5 Pro sells half of what the PS4 Pro did. Which was about 15 million units. 

I suppose it may sell a bit more than some people expect now. Let's suppose that OneX sold 5 mil units. And some gamers bought OneX because it was more powerful than PS4P then. So, in conditions without any competition it's possible that there will be 8-9 mil lifetime PS5P. Probably they will eventually release 1TB version and it will boost numbers. 

JackHandy said:

It seems like every few months, modern gaming takes a step further away from me. At this point, my NES and PS2 sitting over there is looking more and more like where it ends for me. I can't imagine the industry coming back from the ledge it's on.

I have two delidded PS3's I am using for PS2 games. It is the only platform I playing right now.

Saw the price and loled