By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why do Disk Drives matter?

Would you quit gaming if the industry went full digital?

Yes 22 28.21%

No 44 56.41%

Unsure 12 15.38%

Total:78
DroidKnight said:
Azzanation said:

3) Those that quit gaming over how they own a game are not true gamers.

This seems like a really silly thing to say. 

I agree, giving up a medium because of a format is very silly.

Leynos said:
Azzanation said:

3) Those that quit gaming over how they own a game are not true gamers.

You're a child.

Azzanation said:

Physical media today still requires you to download the game off a server.

Wrong.

/SIP

Or maybe... get this, those acting like children because of a format choice. No really, think about it. Imagine complaining or giving up gaming because of it. Don't hate me, I am just pointing it out. I don't understand that mentality. You should be gaming for the entertainment, not staring at the box on your shelf, and there is nothing wrong with being a collector either but collecting and playing are two very different extremes.

How long do you think those statistics of physical is going to stay that way? Your console needs to be plugged in, you need internet access to access majority of its features, and unless you are gaming in the dark ages, you would be silly playing games without there day one patches and updates. Physical media is nothing more than a case these days with a picture on it.

Sorry to give you the bad news, but your physical games today are just as useless without the internet. It's like a Smart phone without internet access. I bet whatever console you own its connected to the internet. It's a little ironic since it does not affect you in any way shape or form. 

Last edited by Azzanation - 3 days ago

Around the Network
Cobretti2 said:

I've mentioned this several times over the years, 100% agree. I have also said if we ever go digital I will go PC exclusive as Steam as example isn't tied up to a fixed period in time. I can revisit games I played in the 90s and enjoy them without too much worry.

I've also said if console manufactures want us to go digital they need to give us freedom to backup our data easily (updates, bug fixes, extra purchases etc) and not tie it to the hardware it's on or a digital user ID that does not log in once online services are down.

I can understand locking it to a console to protect sales, but when a generation ends, firmware should be released that allows us full freedom of our data to be used as a retro console on any console an not locked just to yours, i.e. in case your hardware fails and you ned to replace it.

Also you bring up a good point I failed to mention in my post; Why do cloud saves even cost money on a console?.

On PC my cloud saves across multiple clients cost nothing, and I'm still able to access them years later with no need for paying a sub fee to access them or to have them taken away from me, but on consoles it can cost money, and even then, when you stop paying you can lose them, which makes no sense to me as to why a few kb's of save data should cost anything.

Also yeah, totally agree, when a console gen ends, the firmware should be made public, because otherwise you're just going to lose everything in one go, which would be a death blow to a console players digital library.

Going forward, the 3 consoles need a more unified store system, one where the cloud saves cost nothing, where you can always download games you own digitally, even when they get delisted (seriously, delisting a game and yoinking it from a customers library should be downright illegal to do, but I've seen it happen on both PC & consoles).

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Azzanation said:
DroidKnight said:

This seems like a really silly thing to say. 

Your comment is what was silly, not someone's choice that goes against what you have determined defines a gamer.  

As for me personally, I never said I would quit gaming, I said I would never purchase a "digital only console".  

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

DroidKnight said:
Azzanation said:

Your comment is what was silly, not someone's choice that goes against what you have determined defines a gamer.  

As for me personally, I never said I would quit gaming, I said I would never purchase a "digital only console".  

To anyone willing to give up Gaming over something that offers the exact same experience are not true gamers. It should not matter of the format on how you game as long as the experience is worth it. The video game is supposed to offer you a Story, Gameplay, Sound and Music, the format it comes on, does not change what that video game offers. 

If a game interests me enough, I don't care if I have to play it via Digital, Physical, Streaming etc. 

Azzanation said:
DroidKnight said:

To anyone willing to give up Gaming over something that offers the exact same experience are not true gamers. It should not matter of the format on how you game as long as the experience is worth it. The video game is supposed to offer you a Story, Gameplay, Sound and Music, the format it comes on, does not change what that video game offers. 

If a game interests me enough, I don't care if I have to play it via Digital, Physical, Streaming etc. 

Well it does. Some Gamers also collect. They like to have a nice physical collection on display in their game room. It is part of the experience.