By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii is a HUGE software seller!

I like how 3 of them have Wii in the title, and 3 have Mario.... That tells you something doesn't it? The only software that is really selling is made by Nintendo.

Around the Network

Can someone please tell me what big third party games has been released for the wii. Maybe that answer will lead us to why these games dont sell as much as the wii's first party games.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Username2324 said:
I like how 3 of them have Wii in the title, and 3 have Mario.... That tells you something doesn't it? The only software that is really selling is made by Nintendo.

So in order for a game to be "really selling" it has to pass the 5 Million mark?

So I guess that only 3 games (2 of which are Microsoft published) are "really selling" on the XBox 360, and no games are "really selling" on the PS3 ...

bigjon said:
Could GH4 sell be a 5 million seller on the Wii? GH3 sold almost 4 million on the PS2, and will end up selling 3 or on the Wii... I see no reason why the next GH won't sell more on the Wii than PS360 combined. The will most likely gain a huge hunk of those PS2 GH fans.
 GH4 could sell 4 million on Wii but it will need DLC and to be priced less than the PS3 and 360 versions.   GH Aerosmith is priced the same for all 3 systems but will likely sell best of Wii because GH3 didn't offer DLC on Wii. 

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

Viper1 said:
Tuulikk said:
Viper1 said:
This might be the 3rd time I've posted this today.

All big budget 3rd party titles out right now were planned and in development prior to the launch of the Wii. At that point most developers/publishers had wrote off the Wii and very few put much budget into their Wii titles.

Now that they know the success of Wii, we've read how they've tripped over themselves to reallocate resources to Wii development.

Big budget development is a 2-3 year investment and we will start to see those on Wii later this year to early next year.

True. But what if thy look at the few third party hardcore titles there are, their sales and don't believe in Wii still?

Well, some nice stuff, third party and second party will come, but the belief that Wii will fail is still heavy and it has already affected the console even if it gets better and maybe Nintendo could have done something about it with more deals like Red Steel, Disaster: Day of Crisis and Fatal Frame 4 and gotten some of it out earlier instead of just Nintendo core series.

Not likely.  A console can't sell dozens of millions and not be able to sell big budget titles.    Publishers are already happy with sales of the mid budget Wii titles so why woudl they assume their bigger budget Wii titles would sell less?   Bigger budget titles get bigger marketing and we know how that can help even lousy games sell well......I'm looking at you Kane and Lynch.

We read about it all the time, the disbelif in Wii and if I'm not mistaken, IGN hinted about publishers looking at software sales on Wii and therfore not wanting to make or publish real hardcore titles on Wii.

Obscure: The Aftermatch is a title I thoght would sell more then 300 000, and look at it now.

But you got a point that big budget titles do sell, and if they fail, then they should sell more then 400 000 anyway. Wii only got only a few big budget titles. Multiplatform games has a problem in sales, and that might stay.

Around the Network
Username2324 said:

I agree that it reveals something about the Wii (although please note that few games on any platform sell at least five million, so our sample is hardly representative of third-party sales). That said, I don't think you're taking the appropriate lessons from the data. I concede that most of the big sellers for the Wii are first-party efforts, but tell me honestly, how many third-party Wii games do you think "deserve" to go platinum? And if your response is "But Carnival Games sold one-million", perhaps you should think about what that really says, namely that far from Wii owners not "rewarding" good efforts with sales, they're willing to spend their money on games that so many of you feel don't deserve a dime. Isn't that the precise opposite of "third-party games don't sell on the Wii"?

DmeisterJ, its ps3 dickriders like you and username who are soi fucking annoying. I swear.

Damn things have changed since 2009 began. Here are my new visions for the end of the generation.

Wii: 135 mil

Ps3: 85 mil

360: 60 mil

True Genius
daactualfact said:
DmeisterJ, its ps3 dickriders like you and username who are soi fucking annoying. I swear.

No need for name calling here. I disagree with both of them on this issue, and I doubt they have any worthwhile reasons to back up their assertions, but I could be wrong. Even if I'm not, it's best to keep discussions civil. If things get to the point where you simply can't stand a poster anymore, do what I do and skip his or her posts. You blood pressure goes down, your forum browsing becomes more enjoyable, and God saves a kitten.

3rd party sales last week from the top 50 list.

PS3 - 190,586
X360 - 389,497
Wii - 437,291

Can all you haters shut the hell up for once?

The rEVOLution is not being televised

HappySqurriel said:
Username2324 said:

So in order for a game to be "really selling" it has to pass the 5 Million mark?

So I guess that only 3 games (2 of which are Microsoft published) are "really selling" on the XBox 360, and no games are "really selling" on the PS3 ...

I never said that, but if we look at top 15 sellers for the Wii, how many aren't made by Nintendo and don't have mario in the title?

Now let's look at the next 10, how many of those aren't sequels, how many are the first of their kind?

I'm just sayin, 3rd party games aren't selling very well compared to the Wii's userbase, as its been said before, the attach rate for the PS3 and 360 is higher than the Wii. Not to mention alot of crap has been put on the Wii since it's so cheap, which just makes it harder for new games to get established.