By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii is a HUGE software seller!

Everyone fixates on Nintendo first party vs. third party.

The reason Nintendo has good first party games is because it has been at this for a quarter century. I also see 5-6 different IPs (at least) in that list of 5-million games -- so it shows some variation in what is selling and what is being produced.

I am not sure that Sony or Microsoft have 5-6 top-line IPs -- let alone ones that could sell 5M.

Mike

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Around the Network
mike_intellivision said:

The reason Nintendo has good first party games is because it has been at this for a quarter century. I also see 5-6 different IPs (at least) in that list of 5-million games -- so it shows some variation in what is selling and what is being produced.

I am not sure that Sony or Microsoft have 5-6 top-line IPs -- let alone ones that could sell 5M.

Mike

Sony and Microsoft don't need it, they actually have third-party support. 

the only 10+mil sellers on ps3 were 3 different GTAs and GT3: A-Spec, so not much variety

wii fit, wii sports, wii play, ssbb, mario kart, smg is fitness trainer, sports demo, mini games, fighter, racer, platformer = more variety

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp
DMeisterJ said:
Lulz.

It's not really that serious to jump on me. I just asked a question.

Sheesh.

Oh don't play dumb on us... We all know what you're trying to accomplish... Sony fanboi...

Why the hell does this topic even matter?

Around the Network
routsounmanman said:
DMeisterJ said:
Lulz.

It's not really that serious to jump on me. I just asked a question.

Sheesh.

Oh don't play dumb on us... We all know what you're trying to accomplish... Sony fanboi...

You've got me figured out...

;_;

DMeisterJ said:
mike_intellivision said:

Mike

I have more respect for a company that can make a profit when it's last in that generation and is almost only (well) supported by itself then companies that have to give out moneybags for 3rd-party games, but whatever... We all know that you dislike Nintendo so why bother?

Oh, and i just wanted to say: It's just ignorance that keeps 3rd-party devs away from Wii... They keep saying i't doesn't have 'real' games and only has casual players... Well, why don't they make a 'game' that is a 'real' game in their eyes for it! And i think RE4, Guitar Hero etc... Proof that these kind of games can actually do well on the system. And most of the 3rd-parties can only make a real good profit on Wii, especially the smaller ones!

THE NETHERLANDS

StarcraftManiac said:
DMeisterJ said:
mike_intellivision said:

Mike

I have more respect for a company that can make a profit when it's last in that generation and is almost only (well) supported by itself then companies that have to give out moneybags for 3rd-party games, but whatever... We all know that you dislike Nintendo so why bother?

Lulz.

I don't dislike Nintendo.

The third-party jab (at the OP) was just to make this thread go off-topic, since these 'Wii sells software' threads are all basically the same.  

I won't lie, and say that I love Nintendo, cause I don't; But I've got nothing against them, just people that don't acknowledge it's third-party situation.

DMeisterJ said:
StarcraftManiac said:
DMeisterJ said:
mike_intellivision said:

Mike

Lulz.

I don't dislike Nintendo.

The third-party jab (at the OP) was just to make this thread go off-topic, since these 'Wii sells software' threads are all basically the same.  

I won't lie, and say that I love Nintendo, cause I don't; But I've got nothing against them, just people that don't acknowledge it's third-party situation.

That's because the situation doesn't exist. It's another ginned-up reason to rag on Nintendo.

I think the big question is (for me): when will we see a 3rd party have the kind of breakout succuess, in terms of the uber-numbers for more "typical" gamer fare from 3rd parties?

The DS has had those sorts of titles for awhile now - your Prof. Laytons, Cooking Mama, and the like. But the Wii, thus far, just has Carnival Games (a spinoff of Wii Sports/Play), and Guitar Hero 3. Outside of that, it's been budget succuess, or games that seem to be overtracked by VGC.

Time will tell. But for 3rd party developers, seeing the top 10 or 20 being almost entirely dominated by Nintendo, while big 3rd party games are much lower on the list...Is not a good thing.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.