By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best new IP of the 7th generation

Souls games, TLOU and Uncharted games have all been great, and i consider every main entry in those franchises an absolute blast, so that would be the answer for me.

Also Shovel Knight. It was my Indie Darling back in the day and it stayed that way until Hollow Knight took over. 

Mass Effect was good as well I guess, until it wasnt.

Dragon Age is a hit/miss for me, but the highs are very high so its worth a mention. 

I liked Dead Space 1 quite a lot and the remake is great. 

Bioshock and Gears are alright. 

Last edited by Jpcc86 - on 26 August 2024

Around the Network
Jumpin said:

Personally - I’d say Xenoblade.

But I also see Xenoblade as the third iteration of the “Xeno” branding within the Xeno-franchise; branding switches with the move to different parent companies. 

[snip]

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. To me, Xenoblade Chronicles is the best game of the 7th gen, but it arguably falls under an existing franchise.

So, I would have to go with BioShock, followed by Demon's Souls.

If we're not talking about individual games but rather the best IP that started in the 7th generation, I'd say Demon's Souls followed by Gears of War.

Since most home console/PC IPs have already been mentioned, let's remember that we got quite a few gems in the portable space too:

Professor Layton
Danganronpa
Dissidia: Final Fantasy
The World Ends With You
Hotel Dusk/Last Window
Zero Escape (999)
Radiant Historia

Vodacixi said:

Since most home console/PC IPs have already been mentioned, let's remember that we got quite a few gems in the portable space too:

Professor Layton
Danganronpa
Dissidia: Final Fantasy
The World Ends With You
Hotel Dusk/Last Window
Zero Escape (999)
Radiant Historia

Excellent choices, although I’m unfamiliar with Dissifia Final Fantasy and Danganronpa. But have played Professor Layton, TWEWY, Hotel Dusk (I also liked Another Code), 999, and Radiant Historia, annd found they were all great.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Gears of War is my personal pick with additional details in my original post, but the other IPs that have stood out to me the more I think about it, that haven't really been mentioned so far would be

Portal
Left 4 Dead - probably the best co-op shooting experience to date still
Dishonored
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Prototype
F.E.A.R.
Borderlands

Around the Network
123tbones said:

I would also include the Wii series. I know it’s not our first choice but I’m sure it was most of the world’s first choice.

Actually, I agree; I don't know how on Earth I forgot Wii Sports, it's a classic and undoubtedly one of the most important games of the generation, if not THE most important. I have added it to the OP; my bad.

Playing that game for the first time was one of the biggest wow moments of my gaming life. 

curl-6 said:
123tbones said:

I would also include the Wii series. I know it’s not our first choice but I’m sure it was most of the world’s first choice.

Actually, I agree; I don't know how on Earth I forgot Wii Sports, it's a classic and undoubtedly one of the most important games of the generation, if not THE most important. I have added it to the OP; my bad.

Playing that game for the first time was one of the biggest wow moments of my gaming life. 

You also missed Minecraft...best selling game of all times and the most influential game of last 15 years.

I'm guesstimating you're considering it 8th gen, though it launched in 7th gen.

HoloDust said:
curl-6 said:

You also missed Minecraft...best selling game of all times and the most influential game of last 15 years.

No that one I just straight up forgot about since I have never had any interest in it haha

curl-6 said:
HoloDust said:

No that one I just straight up forgot about since I have never had any interest in it haha

I get where you're coming from, I've pretty much ignored Minecraft up until around 2011-12, and while I did play it for a while, I was never really sucked into it (well, I'm lying, once redstone has been introduced, I went silly for a while with making all sort of contraptions - but honestly, I was just using MC to play what is quite different game than originally created). And of course, obligatory playing coop with my kids.

MC is not something that I would put in any of my favourite lists, but undoubtedly title that had enormous impact in gaming industry.

HoloDust said:
curl-6 said:

I get where you're coming from, I've pretty much ignored Minecraft up until around 2011-12, and while I did play it for a while, I was never really sucked into it (well, I'm lying, once redstone has been introduced, I went silly for a while with making all sort of contraptions - but honestly, I was just using MC to play what is quite different game than originally created). And of course, obligatory playing coop with my kids.

MC is not something that I would put in any of my favourite lists, but undoubtedly title that had enormous impact in gaming industry.

Oh yeah it's definitely a huge game, and I have added it to the OP. It just didn't even occur to me as I was making the topic as I was thinking back to the IPs I remembered from Gen 7, and I never cared for MC so it didn't spring to mind.