By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best new IP of the 7th generation

curl-6 said:

Don't forget to elaborate on what's so great about your pick; makes for a more interesting thread. :)

Dead Space - At first I didn't liked it, but after a second try, it became one of my favorite franchises. It's creepy, scary, and the gameplay is just a lot of fun with the weapons and upgrades you get along the way.

Alan Wake - Amazing story and characters, outstanding soundtrack, and overall one of the most beautiful games I ever played. One of my favorite games ever.

Borderlands - Same as Dead Space, didn't liked at first, but after a couple of tries, I had a insane good time with all Borderlands games. The mix of shooter and RPG works really great.

Metro - Another game with a rich story and a great mix of action and plot missions. I still need to play Exodus, gotta try it later this year, since now I should be able to play it on my PC.

Mass Effect - Even if I just played the first game so far, I can say it was a revolution for it's time. A game where you travel to planets, take decisions that change the plot, and great visuals. I enjoyed it a lot.

Gears of War - Probably one of my favorite third person shooters. Great gameplay and probably one of the reasons people loved the Xbox 360.

The Walking Dead - I think it's the best adventure game ever made. Later seasons weren't really impressive, but it started with a big bang.

Around the Network
BFR said:
curl-6 said:

Don't forget to elaborate on what's so great about your pick; makes for a more interesting thread. :)

It's simple. I liked the story in TLOU P1 more than the story in P2. But Curl, let me ask you: What is your pick? Hey, you started this thread.

Sure thing; my pick is Bioshock.

The first game and Infinite are in my opinion 2 of the best games ever made due to their awesome settings, (Rapture and Columbia are two of the most beautifully realized places in all of gaming for me) great stories with engaging characters, interesting themes, and thrilling twists and turns, and satisfying combat with lots of tactical options, cool powers, and punchy weapons.

2 might not be quite as mind-blowing as 1 and Infinite due to the re-used setting, but its still a well made and very enjoyable adventure.

It's a tough choice though as the likes of Mass Effect, Xenoblade, and Bayonetta are also all time greats in my opinion.

Xenoblade- One of the best running RPG series and got the JRPG genre out of the 7th gen rut

VanQuish- Best playing TPS ever made to this very day

The Last Story- AN amazing game and maybe the best RPG on Wii

Gears of War- Great series that inspired a lot of games that gen

Dragon's Crown- A great successor to D&D Tower of Doom

Bayonetta-It took the creator DMC to make a series on DMC's level of excellence

Blue Dragon-Fantastic offering from Mistwalker

Lost Odyssey- The best FF game that gen despite not holding the FF name.

Darksiders- The M rated Zelda for those begging should play

Fragile Dreams- Amazing game no one played. Sad as can be but it's a beautiful journey

Zack & Wiki- Second best Capcom game on Wii behind Tatsunoko vs Capcom. Since the Vs series predates 7th gen. Zack & Wiki a really good Point and click.

Last edited by Leynos - on 25 August 2024

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

The Last of Us for me, and I loved the second game as well.

Tlou2 built greatly on the first game, for once not dodging the consequences of 'collateral' damage. Of all the new IPs in the 7th generation, I'm most looking forward to where The Last of Us will go.

Runner up: DriveClub. The last of the great track racers :/ And still unbeaten in weather effects.

SvennoJ said:

Tlou2 built greatly on the first game, for once not dodging the consequences of 'collateral' damage. Of all the new IPs in the 7th generation, I'm most looking forward to where The Last of Us will go.

Runner up: DriveClub. The last of the great track racers :/ And still unbeaten in weather effects.

Driveclub is 8th gen

Around the Network
Leynos said:
SvennoJ said:

Driveclub is 8th gen

Doh, it feels older. Must be the VR version that makes it look like a ps3 game :p

I change my runner up to Motorstorm, frigging loved the first and second game.

SvennoJ said:
Leynos said:

Driveclub is 8th gen

Doh, it feels older. Must be the VR version that makes it look like a ps3 game :p

lol One of the funniest Giant bomb VR Rodeos was Jeff playing DC on VR and you're right it looked bad and he kept sinking into the seat in game. To the point of just seeing the steering wheel. I played non VR DC on PS+. Looked great at the time. Not played since tho.

Leynos said:
SvennoJ said:

lol One of the funniest Giant bomb VR Rodeos was Jeff playing DC on VR and you're right it looked bad and he kept sinking into the seat in game. To the point of just seeing the steering wheel. I played non VR DC on PS+. Looked great at the time. Not played since tho.

He was lucky, mine also drifted to the right. By the end of the race I would be looking straight out the side window. I had to sit sideways by the end of the race to be able to look forward! I remember the sinking as well, also in GT Sport. I had to press reset view once or twice a lap before sinking too low.

Still was pure magic!

It's a shame they didn't port the 60fps for the VR version back to the main game. DC would still stand up on the PS5 now in 60fps.

From an outsider looking in on many of these games I would have to say The Last of Us. I remember so much news surrounding it. Became a huge hit, got it's one show..that was actually good, and people always speak good things of it.

The NINTENDO PACT 2015[2016  Vgchartz Wii U Achievement League! - Sign up now!                      My T.E.C.H'aracter

The Last of Us is the first one that comes to mind. I remember finally playing it around 4 or 5 years ago and after listening to all the hype, it definitely delivered! The second game I've heard a ton of hate for and while I do understand it's not a game for everyone, I'm glad it was for me. I loved it even more than the first game. I think what keeps me coming back to both games is the mix of awesome storytelling and really good, addictive gameplay. As a third person shooter fan, it might be my favorite.

The Souls series come to mind as well. My first one was the first game they made in Demon's Souls. It's still my favorite of the genre but I haven't played that many. I feel like after a while, the gameplay system has kinda lost its luster for me. I don't see myself playing any official Souls game in the future aside from Demon's again and maybe Bloodborne.