By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Concord is Sony's biggest failure in gaming history.

epicurean said:
Ryuu96 said:

How so, because I said don't use "Alphabet Community" which is often used in a derogatory way towards LGBTQ+ community? Would you likewise take issue if I told someone not to call someone else a slur or severe insult such as "Cunt"? Lol. I have never seen someone use "Alphabet Community" for any other reason than to mock LGBTQ+ community and like I said, we have a number of those on these forums, including moderators.

Okay if you want me to be more specific, I think less than 10% of the gaming population cares about seeing "They/Them" on a character creation screen, Lol. You make the mistake that so many gamers make in thinking that communities like Reddit/Forums/Twitter represent the majority of gamers when in fact we are the vast minority, that's why you'll see 90% of online communities talking shit about how terrible Call of Duty is but it still sells the most every single year.

Concord failed for a dozen different and far larger reasons than "They/Them" and even if it was an great title without "They/Them" pronouns there's a strong chance it still would have failed given the market it is attacking, but as I pointed out, there are numerous titles with "They/Them" pronoun options and Non-Binary characters which didn't receive anywhere close to this level of hatred nor did they fail because ultimately the vast majority of people do not give a crap. Concord though, is a mid title that nobody is playing being crushed by its competition which has 6+ LGBTQ+ characters.

Why does Concord hate straight white men?

This dude looks pretty white male to me...

The group exists, that is factual, I don't know what it costs to put "They/Them" in some text, I'm pretty sure it won't be that expensive (Lol). You cannot make the claim that they don't exist though because they aren't playing Concord, nobody is playing Concord, Lol. Why can't I then provide a rebuttal that they do exist in massive numbers because look at how popular BG3 is?

I wouldn't do that, I ultimately don't have the numbers of how many "They/Them" or LGBTQ+ community people play videogames but I'm happy to see people feel represented, to feel like they belong, I'm not shunning these people out of videogames, I am still represented and have been represented for dozens of years, having a "They/Them" option or gay character or black character in a videogame does not affect me at all but it makes others happy and quite frankly I don't give a fuck about if bigots are upset about that, the world should move forward, not backwards.

To use an example of something else that likely doesn't make companies much money, those adaptive controllers for disabled people, but I frankly don't give a shit how much money Xbox/Sony are making from them, they're objectively a great thing to do, yet I don't see people complaining "DISABLED PEOPLE ARE A MINORITY IN GAMING WE SHOULDN'T CATER TO THEM" over something that doesn't hurt them at all.

17% of Gamers Classify as LGBTQ.

Course, we don't know how many are Trans or Non-Binary.

20% of Gamers Classify as Disabled

33% in UK and USA

But like the above, disabled is a wide term, I would classify as disabled but I can use a regular controller just fine.

Nevertheless, they're a minority, so I guess we should say "fuck you, we shouldn't cater to you, waste of money" nah we don't do that because people tend to know better than to be assholes against disabled people, but people have yet to learn that message about being assholes to other people that are different than them such as when it relates to race or sexual orientation.

The lead character designer made sure to point out he was latino and that there were no white male characters in the game.

He looked like a generic white dude to me, Lol. But anyway, Latino isn't a race, someone is Latino regardless of their race but most Latino's consider themselves white. Having said that, if the lead character designer said there's no white males in the game then there's no white males in the game.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 28 August 2024

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:
epicurean said:

The lead character designer made sure to point out he was latino and that there were no white male characters in the game.

Dude looks like a generic white dude to me, Lol.

Also, Latino isn't a race, someone is a Latino regardless of their race, but most consider themselves white.

But if he said that he ain't white then I guess he ain't white, Lol.

And to be fair, the vast majority of people who pick up the game aren't going to know. He looks white to me, too. 

Edit: Unless he has a bio or something in the game? Not sure. But most wont dig that deep.

Owner of PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Switch, PS Vita, and 3DS

epicurean said:
Ryuu96 said:

Dude looks like a generic white dude to me, Lol.

Also, Latino isn't a race, someone is a Latino regardless of their race, but most consider themselves white.

But if he said that he ain't white then I guess he ain't white, Lol.

And to be fair, the vast majority of people who pick up the game aren't going to know. He looks white to me, too. 

Edit: Unless he has a bio or something in the game? Not sure. But most wont dig that deep.

I was trying to find a bio for him actually when I was looking up the characters but could find nothing, I was trying to find one because the other user said "straight" too so I wanted to see if it says anywhere that he is gay or bi, I couldn't find anything but maybe there's something in the game itself...not enough people playing for me to find a character select, Lol.

Ryuu96 said:
epicurean said:

I was trying to find a bio for him actually when I was looking up the characters but could find nothing, I was trying to find one because the other user said "straight" too so I wanted to see if it says anywhere that he is gay or bi, I couldn't find anything but maybe there's something in the game itself...not enough people playing for me to find a character select, Lol.

I should also note....when I started hearing about this game, I did not know why people were saying it was "woke". I thought there was one robot who had they/them pronouns, which made perfect sense to me. I DID have to dig a bit....the pronouns on the selections screen were pretty easy to find, but the comments by the game designer about white supremacy took a bit (mostly twitter posts). And so far the comments on him saying their are no white male characters I've only found on forums. I've dug enough for a game I'm probably not going to buy anyway. Live service is generally not for me, but I do like to try 1st party Sony games because they are usually high quality. I'm just intrigued about the question of how much the lead character designer impacted sales of the game alone. Even if you take out any trans issues, almost universally (save IGN's review) reviews and players have bagged on the character models. He seemed to lean as much as possible into "weird". People generally dont want to play as morbidly obese or weird looking aliens. I just wonder how much things would've turned around had the characters looked more "Overwatch" and less....whatever this is. Maybe its 1% more players. Maybe its 200%. Who knows. 

Owner of PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Switch, PS Vita, and 3DS

If you have ever referred to yourself as I. Congrats you use pronouns.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

This topic took a totally different proportion, it was created to talk about the colossal flop of this game, I just checked it on steam and it has 150 players now. The peak was 697 lower than gollum, this game will bring a loss to sony around 100 million dollars, this will serve as a lesson for sony.

This topic has more replies than Concord has players on Steam.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

V-r0cK said:

If Sony wanted to up their FPS library they would've made more (and possibly spent less) if they made either a new Resistance or Killzone.

Hell, Sony could've even made more if they made a sequel to Days Gone or even The Order 1886,

If these games had performed better, then maybe. But all of these games would've had to undergone fundamental changes to exist in today's market, even SP titles, that there's no way of calculating what their budgets would've ended up being.

And the pitch for Days Gone 2 never went beyond Bend management. They were the ones who decided not to pursue it.

curl-6 said:
twintail said:

This is more an indictment of just how sorry a state gaming is in right now.

That a game needs to confirm to some set standard, outside of gameplay fun factor, to be seen as ok enough to play only continues to contribute to the homogenisation of games.

There have been factors other than just gameplay in a game's appeal for basically as long as gaming has existed.

Character designs matter, particularly for a game like this. Most people want to play as characters that are appealing and cool, not ugly and lame.

I don't disagree. But I stand by my thoughts on homogenisation.

IkePoR said:

As I asked Renamed before, can you give me a reason for why we ought to have them?

I replied directly to you twice.  You ignored both.  Why couldn't you ignore the pronoun issue just as easily?

But just because, I'll repost my replies to you.

The first why:

Renamed said:
IkePoR said:

Why ought we have pronouns in character select screens?

Why not?  We often get to choose dozens of characteristics.  A name option, 50 colors of hair in 30 styles, dozens of skin tones, etc...   Does it change the game or gameplay?  

10 seconds on a character select screen negates 50+hours of gameplay?  

The second why (reason) is in bold below:

Renamed said:
IkePoR said:

Petty theft isn't a big deal, ultimately, but it's illegal in order to discourage the behavior.  We ought to make it illegal because petty theft would be more prevalent if it wasn't.

"It's not a big deal" isn't a reason why we ought to do something.  Can you give me a reason?

Holy strawman had sex with a red herring and gave birth to a false equivalency, Batman.

If I steal your food, that's petit theft.  If I take your bill money, that petit theft.  You might miss a meal or even have your electricity turned off.  That's real world negative repercussions. But if I give you the option, the OPTION to be represented even just a little bit in a recreational distraction....

Reason?  Inclusivity.  Representation.  Validation.  Affirmation.  Maybe to have 10 seconds in the character select screen to give a person who's been shit on all their life a tiny moment of simply being seen and recognized for just existing. 

To the privileged, equality feels like oppression. 

twintail said:
curl-6 said:

There have been factors other than just gameplay in a game's appeal for basically as long as gaming has existed.

Character designs matter, particularly for a game like this. Most people want to play as characters that are appealing and cool, not ugly and lame.

I don't disagree. But I stand by my thoughts on homogenisation.

Character design doesn't have to be homogenous to be appealing. There's a huge range of character designs that are widely loved yet look nothing like each other.