By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Concord is Sony's biggest failure in gaming history.

Yes it is and all thanks to the DEI policies and woke developers. Its the biggest flop in history of gaming and well deserved it

Around the Network
Machina said:

Somewhat amusingly that upcoming animated video game anthology series (from the people behind the often excellent Love, Death & Robots) for Amazon Prime apparently has a whole episode dedicated to Concord. They sure put the cart before the horse there.

Well, since it's still upcoming, they could flip the script and mention Concord as a negative example and what not to do compared to all the other ones.

Ryuu96 said:
Robert_Downey_Jr. said:

Hogwarts, Wukong, stellar blade, first descendant

Vs.

Concord, dustborn, suicide squad

One group rejected the writing consultants despite them trying to "terrify them" and they benefited greatly with their success largely attributed to staying out of the culture war bs. The other decided to go full boar into and we see the result.

*Conveniently Ignores God of War Ragnarök, Spider-Man 2 and Alan Wake.*

Never heard of the First Descendant, it currently sits at 55% on Steam...

Suicide Squad is the first game in existence to sell bad because it's average.

You people must look under your bed at night for SBI, Lmao. They're a goddamn consultancy agency with less than ~20 employees, they do not have anywhere near as major of an impact as your paranoid delusions lead you to believe, here's what happens, a developer implements something, they ask SBI if this has been implemented well, they offer their advice and the developer decides whether they want to take it. But this boogey-man is now the new thing to blame for any reason why any game is bad or fails because you're desperate to spread your hate and make everyone as bitter as yourself.

Concord has done bad because while it is seemingly an "okay-good" title based on what I've heard, that isn't good enough in a market this competitive, Hogwarts Legacy, Wukong, Stellar Blade are SP titles. Concord is competing with some of the biggest multiplayer titles in history which to this date still have millions of people playing them, Concord is competing with F2P titles with millions of players from household name studios as a $40 title from a studio nobody has never heard of with a brand new IP. Concord had poor marketing and released in quite an unfortunate time.

How do you convince Overwatch players to pay $40 to try out Concord instead of them just continuing to play Overwatch? When you don't offer nothing new or revolutionary to the genre, why would people abandon those titles they've spent years in to move over to yours? But oh my bad, it must be none of that, it's because they put a black lady in the game /s.

Btw, SBI had nothing to do with Concord.

God of War and Alan Wake are, obviously, two known and proven IP's.  Spider-Man is the single most popular Marvel character and arguably most recognizable comic book character of all time.  I wouldn't say conveniently ignored, I'd say "take into account" before mentioning.

I would agree with you that SBI isn't some boogey-man gamers should be losing sleep over.  I will say there is a heavy, HEAVY correlation with their involvement and games flopping.  It is certainly something to consider.  Games do need to be more competitive and have a special element - a huge marketing budget doesn't hurt either. 

When it comes to the whole "woke" idea... it's simple, really.  I believe "woke" to be a metric of progressive morals in which your game must measure it's excellence against.  Balders Gate 3 is considered quite woke, yet it's excellence shines far brighter and was easy to sell the game on in trailers.  Hogwarts Legacy has the trans character, something the anti-woke hates, but again, it's Harry Potter and it's quite the decent time and again, easy to market. 

The challenge with a Concord, I believe, is marketing.  It's hard to market a game that has characters that look like people that certain groups hate.  How large is that group?  Not easy to know but if we assume a silent minority also agrees with them, you create an osmosis of bandwagon effects.  People who aren't even anti-woke glom onto the opinion without even thinking because it's on vouge - "woke crap" sounds funny, and lots of people are memeing on it, so yeah I hate it too.  The most notorious example I think I can give is Donald Trump winning in 2016.

How do you convince Overwatch players to pay $40 to try out Concord instead of them just continuing to play Overwatch? - I don't know how much Sony and Firewalk considered this or if they asked themselves at all.  When it comes down to it, I think I partly agree with you - it's not "woke" killing these games, it's incompetence, a far more common and obvious idea to understand.

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

Lukas85 said:

Yes it is and all thanks to the DEI policies and woke developers. Its the biggest flop in history of gaming and well deserved it

OF COURSE you had to politicize this. You just can't help it.

Anytime someone says DEI/Woke they should have their butt cheeks glued shut so they can taste the shit that comes out of their mouth.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
Lukas85 said:

Is Overwatch's success all due to its "woke characters, developers and DEI policies" then?
This is a tiresome baseless argument that you guys only pull out when it suits you, and stay quiet when a game does well.

Concord's character design looks uninspired. Overwatch's characters are quite popular, whether they are LGBT, white, black, asian, etc.
Having to pay $40 when its competitors are free is a very tough sell. It would have been an uphill battle even if it was a free game.

Last edited by Hiku - on 26 August 2024

We can all be sure that politics had absolutely nothing to do with how Concord performed.

But really it can't be claimed that DEI is the thing that killed the game because player numbers are far far too low. There's more gamers who support DEI or don't give a shit than otherwise.

The game didn't sell because it appeals to basically nobody for a while variety of reasons.

Last edited by Zippy6 - on 26 August 2024

IkePoR said:

God of War and Alan Wake are, obviously, two known and proven IP's.  Spider-Man is the single most popular Marvel character and arguably most recognizable comic book character of all time.  I wouldn't say conveniently ignored, I'd say "take into account" before mentioning.

I would agree with you that SBI isn't some boogey-man gamers should be losing sleep over.  I will say there is a heavy, HEAVY correlation with their involvement and games flopping.  It is certainly something to consider.  Games do need to be more competitive and have a special element - a huge marketing budget doesn't hurt either. 

When it comes to the whole "woke" idea... it's simple, really.  I believe "woke" to be a metric of progressive morals in which your game must measure it's excellence against.  Balders Gate 3 is considered quite woke, yet it's excellence shines far brighter and was easy to sell the game on in trailers.  Hogwarts Legacy has the trans character, something the anti-woke hates, but again, it's Harry Potter and it's quite the decent time and again, easy to market. 

The challenge with a Concord, I believe, is marketing.  It's hard to market a game that has characters that look like people that certain groups hate.  How large is that group?  Not easy to know but if we assume a silent minority also agrees with them, you create an osmosis of bandwagon effects.  People who aren't even anti-woke glom onto the opinion without even thinking because it's on vouge - "woke crap" sounds funny, and lots of people are memeing on it, so yeah I hate it too.  The most notorious example I think I can give is Donald Trump winning in 2016.

How do you convince Overwatch players to pay $40 to try out Concord instead of them just continuing to play Overwatch? - I don't know how much Sony and Firewalk considered this or if they asked themselves at all.  When it comes down to it, I think I partly agree with you - it's not "woke" killing these games, it's incompetence, a far more common and obvious idea to understand.

Removed my quoted post because it screwed up with huge spacing.

My point in mentioning God of War, Alan Wake, Spiderman are more that all 3 of them had SBI's involvement and yet all 3 were widely well received by both critics and fans so if SBI is responsible for the bad like some like to claim then they must be responsible for the good too, they can't pick and choose what they're responsible for when it suits them.

However, I don't believe they're responsible either way, as they are a 16 employee consultancy studio, they have no real power over these developers, they offer advice and advice doesn't have to be implemented, their input in the grand scheme of things will be minor to the overall product of the videogame, plus SBI is just one of dozens of consultancy agencies, there's likely dozens of consultancy agencies providing studios with tips on inclusion but SBI is the current target of peoples hate because it's the one people can notice right now.

Other games SBI has been involved with were equally poorly received by reviewers, the same people complaining about SBI would also tell you about how reviewers are biased too and trying to ram their "political agenda" down your throat, now if that was true, why would the reviewers give these games bad scores? Flinctlock for example has a 69 OpenCritic, Suicide Squad has a 59 OpenCritic. The reason they failed is easily explained by the fact that they are simply not good enough titles at their core.

In regards to Concord, I'm here defending SBI and inclusion but even I don't think Concord's characters looked good, the character designs were boring, bland, etc. That has a larger impact than "being things that certain groups hate" They're simply boring, as Hiku mentioned, Overwatch has just as much LGBTQ characters and diversity but their characters are well designed.

I think we're mostly in agreement, though I wouldn't put it all down to incompetence, sometimes even good games don't sell well. All throughout gaming history games have failed for various reasons, whether because their market was too hard to get into, or yes, poor leadership and development. Only now games apparently only fail cause "Woke/DEI" Lol.

I think even if Concord was a great title with appealing characters it would have had a tough battle to compete with the big boys like Overwatch. This is partly why I believe Sony approved so many GAAS...They know a bunch will fail, they're going to throw them all at the wall until something sticks, Helldivers 2 stuck, Concord failed, onto the next GAAS. Until they have a few long-running, high-income producing GAAS titles.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 26 August 2024

Zippy6 said:

We can all be sure that politics had absolutely nothing to do with how Concord performed.

But really it can't be claimed that DEI is the thing that killed the game because player numbers are far far too low. There's more gamers who support DEI or don't give a shit than otherwise.

The game didn't sell because it appeals to basically nobody for a while variety of reasons.

Review bombing.

User defined tags means I can add the tag "Zippy" and upvote "Politics" without owning the game.
This game currently only has 140 players on Steam. One 4chan thread is enough to make any tag trend.

I bet even a low activity site like ours could get a tag into the top 10 if we tried.

Last edited by Hiku - on 26 August 2024

Arkane was closed due to the failure of Redfall, I hope this studio doesn't last 2 months to learn to stop doing shit like that