By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Astro-Bot or Zelda EoW? Clash of the 2024 September Titans

Which will sell more? Which will perform better with critics?

Astro Bot (Sales & Critical Reception) 19 22.35%

Zelda (Sales & Critical Reception) 29 34.12%

Astro Bot (Sales), Zelda (Critical Reception) 3 3.53%

Astro Bot (Critical Reception), Zelda (Sales) 34 40.00%

Total:85

This is very tricky. Astro bot looks solid if a bit basic for a 3d platformer and currently I haven't seen anything that would really push it high critically. Whereas zelda looks like it is really pushing what a top down zelda can be which if they pull it off could make it score very highly critically but it also increases the chances that they might potentially alienate people as well. Commercially I have no idea which way this will go, astrobot has never had a standard release on a normal console before so itis very difficult to predict how it will sell. Zelda I feel like will sell around links awakening remake levels.
I think astro bot will score in the mid/late 80s and zelda late 80s/ early 90s.

Around the Network
Lukas85 said:

Zelda both categories will destroy astrobot

Stop trying to cause arguments 

Astrobot 1 was a fantastic experience on PS VR. Astrobot on PS5 is probably the most fun tech demo I've ever played, but it's definitely more of a tech demo. That said, if they take what they did with the tech demo, but expand upon that significantly like the trailers suggest, then I think Astrobot could get low 90s easily. I also think Sony wants that critical acclaim too, so they are going to be pushing the highest quality for this release that they reasonably can.

That's not to say that Nintendo won't want this for Zelda, but Zelda has less hanging on the line than Astrobot. Also, I think this quirky new Zelda formula will be fun, but I have a feeling some reviewers won't take to it. Therefore, I predict Astrobot will have the higher average rating. Zelda will be high 80s. Astrobot higher 80s or low 90s.

Saleswise, PS5 owners are a bit starved for first party content and if this is quality they could eat it up. Bonus, lots of PS5 owners are now exposed to the IP due to the tech demo. I'm giving it to Zelda though, as Zelda is an established IP. Links Awkening sold, what, 7M? I'm not confident Astrobot will sell 7M, but I think Zelda can.

So, Astrobot gets critical acclaimed and Zelda gets sales for me. Would be great if both were even though and sold 20M and got 99 meta lol

Zelda's score will depend if they fixed some of the tech problems of Link's Awakening. If they did not I expect a high 80 score, If they did I think it will be in the 90's. Reviewers like new gameplay ideas and Zelda usually delivers well on those. I expect Zelda to be a 5-6 million seller in the first 6 months.

The critical reception of Astrobot will depend if the game is just a bigger version of the PS5 pack-in or if it will provide new gameplay ideas. If it's just a bigger version of what is known I think it will be in the 80's. If it provides sufficient new gameplay ideas it will be in the 90's. Sales expectations are hard. We know from Sony's own reporting that Gaas games are the most played in several regions, next to established franchises like EA sport games, call of duty, etc. Still though, I estimate that Astrobot will sell 4-5 million in the first 6 months, also due to a lack of other first party Sony games.

So critical reception is a coin toss, but I give it to Zelda in that it looks more innovative at first what critics like. Sales wise Zelda wins due to the install base and that the game is more in line with 'typical Nintendo' Switch owners preferences.

Tober said:

Zelda's score will depend if they fixed some of the tech problems of Link's Awakening. If they did not I expect a high 80 score, If they did I think it will be in the 90's. Reviewers like new gameplay ideas and Zelda usually delivers well on those. I expect Zelda to be a 5-6 million seller in the first 6 months.

The critical reception of Astrobot will depend if the game is just a bigger version of the PS5 pack-in or if it will provide new gameplay ideas. If it's just a bigger version of what is known I think it will be in the 80's. If it provides sufficient new gameplay ideas it will be in the 90's. Sales expectations are hard. We know from Sony's own reporting that Gaas games are the most played in several regions, next to established franchises like EA sport games, call of duty, etc. Still though, I estimate that Astrobot will sell 4-5 million in the first 6 months, also due to a lack of other first party Sony games.

So critical reception is a coin toss, but I give it to Zelda in that it looks more innovative at first what critics like. Sales wise Zelda wins due to the install base and that the game is more in line with 'typical Nintendo' Switch owners preferences.

Just for comparison 'it takes two' and 'mario 3d world +browsers fury' only got 89 on meta so it'll be very tough for 'astro bot' to go above that from what I've seen so far. From what I've seen in the gameplay demos it seems more like the recent 3d kirby (which was still great) than something like Mario galaxy. Critically I'm thinking 85-88 for it unless they are hiding something special.

Around the Network

Well Links Awakening sold 6.5m on Switch and that could be a good mark for what to expect this Zelda game to sell around, possibly less due to the nature of the game.

It might be pretty close, I do think Astrobot could eventually reach 5m, but I would think Zelda selling more than Astrobot lifetime is more likely than not.

Zippy6 said:

Well Links Awakening sold 6.5m on Switch and that could be a good mark for what to expect this Zelda game to sell around, possibly less due to the nature of the game.

It might be pretty close, I do think Astrobot could eventually reach 5m, but I would think Zelda selling more than Astrobot lifetime is more likely than not.

I feel like I'm going the opposite way to a lot of people here. I think astro bot has a lot of potential to outsell zelda and I think zelda will most like be more critically acclaimed than astro bot. I think astro bot has a more broad appeal and looks like a very easy to pick up and play. Whereas top down zelda seems to have a more limited appeal and this game is going in strange directions that while I think will be very appealing to critics may alienate some fans.

pikashoe said:

I feel like I'm going the opposite way to a lot of people here. I think astro bot has a lot of potential to outsell zelda and I think zelda will most like be more critically acclaimed than astro bot. I think astro bot has a more broad appeal and looks like a very easy to pick up and play. Whereas top down zelda seems to have a more limited appeal and this game is going in strange directions that while I think will be very appealing to critics may alienate some fans.

I agree that from the style of game alone Astrobot would have wider appeal than the new Zelda, but Astrobot is not a big established brand like Zelda and that has a lot of selling power. I do wish great success for Astrobot though as we're in dire need of more 3d platformers and especially more fun family friendly titles by Sony and not just AAA blockbusters.

The directions of the new Zelda game is why I think it may sell less than the Link's Awakening remake.

Zippy6 said:
pikashoe said:

I agree that from the style of game alone Astrobot would have wider appeal than the new Zelda, but Astrobot is not a big established brand like Zelda and that has a lot of selling power. I do wish great success for Astrobot though as we're in dire need of more 3d platformers and especially more fun family friendly titles by Sony and not just AAA blockbusters.

The directions of the new Zelda game is why I think it may sell less than the Link's Awakening remake.

Astro's playroom being a pack in title I think could boost sales of this game quite a bit. Pretty much everyone that owns a ps5 has some experience playing that game so the ip is already pretty well established with people that own the console. I could be wrong but I have a feeling that astro bot could sell a lot more than people expect.

pikashoe said:
Zippy6 said:

Astro's playroom being a pack in title I think could boost sales of this game quite a bit. Pretty much everyone that owns a ps5 has some experience playing that game so the ip is already pretty well established with people that own the console. I could be wrong but I have a feeling that astro bot could sell a lot more than people expect.

I haven't played Astro. It never crossed my mind. When I first got the PS5 I just wanted to play the games I bought and tried out many PS4 games upgraded for PS5. It wouldn't surprise me if more than half of PS5 owners haven't played Astro