By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - HDR or 4K gaming? You have to choose one.

I choose

HDR 12 44.44%

4K 7 25.93%

Neither impress me. 8 29.63%

Total:27

If you were to have to choose between a good HDR display or an SDR 4k display which would you choose? 

Frankly, I feel HDR makes the biggest difference, Games that look meh like Elden Ring Graphics wise look so beautiful because of good HDR, like a bright vivid painting. 4k is nice and all for text, HUD and the like when the option presents itself but I rarely feel a wow factor from it where as with HDR I'm constantly going wow, that's good HDR. Like a lightning storm in Red dead 2 gets enhanced to feel like you're in an actually lightning storm, HDR effects the mood and atmosphere to a great degree which can improve the way you feel about a game, essentially effecting your enjoyment. 4k does very little but make things look more defined, tidier and sharp. If I had to choose between a 1080p or 4k display I'd choose to downsample with HDR at 2k. When it's done really well it enhances a game to a degree that you'd think it looks remastered. I'm playing Ni ni kuni 2 and the colour contrast is stunning, the luminosity in the contrast makes everything look surreal. Easily the best modern display upgrade and I don't even have that great of a TV, OLED HDR /Dolby vision are both even more impressive. We will never see 8k take over cause getting to 4k is already just over kill, even for film content or perhaps developers have to better utilise it in the future and aren't doing so now.

Of course it's great to have both but does anyone else feel this way or is 4k the goal for ya? And do you think the Switch 2 will have a HDR display?

Last edited by LegitHyperbole - on 30 July 2024

Around the Network

Neither.

120 fps is the correct answer.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:

Neither.

Yeah, but HDR takes a minimal amount of power. You can have 120fps with HDR for little stress on the system. So SDR 120fps or HDR 120fps?

HDR.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Definitely HDR. I go for quality mode anyway, 4K doesn't add much.

HDR in VR makes a massive impact. Lighting is always more important than resolution.

Around the Network

A decent HDR monitor (HDR1.000 with at least a 10 bit panel) tends to be a 4K panel. Things like HDR400 8 bit screens are arguably worse than SSR screens.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

LegitHyperbole said:
Chrkeller said:

Neither.

Yeah, but HDR takes a minimal amount of power. You can have 120fps with HDR for little stress on the system. So SDR 120fps or HDR 120fps?

Optimal for me is 1440p, HDR and 80 to 120 fps.

4k is overkill unless someone has a 75 inch TV. 

And make no mistake, 4k takes a huge amount of resources.  I get 40 to 60 fps on TLoU at 4k.  1440p I get almost a locked 120 fps.  

Higher fps is absolutely game changing.  It impacts gameplay.  My accuracy in games, like RE4, is so much higher at 120 fps.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

SvennoJ said:

HDR in VR makes a massive impact. Lighting is always more important than resolution.

They have HDR in VR now? Which headset?

Chrkeller said:
LegitHyperbole said:

Optimal for me is 1440p, HDR and 80 to 120 fps.

4k is overkill unless someone has a 75 inch TV. 

And make no mistake, 4k takes a huge amount of resources.  I get 40 to 60 fps on TLoU at 4k.  1440p I get almost a locked 120 fps.  

Higher fps is absolutely game changing.  It impacts gameplay.  My accuracy in games, like RE4, is so much higher at 120 fps.  

Yep, 4k is definitely for TV console gaming but I'd say depends on distance. 4k on a 43" is still a massive improvement but you really need like 50" + to start seeing the gains. I'm 10 feet from a 50" and find it's a great sweet spot but alas, this is mostly TV cause PRO is usually 1300p or 1800p. 

LegitHyperbole said:
SvennoJ said:

They have HDR in VR now? Which headset?

PSVR2 supports HDR. GT7, RE8, CyubeVR, Propagation Paradise hotel all wow me with their HDR implementation. There are more but those four had many draw dropping moments.

PSVR2 is rated at 265 nits, while not at bright as a TV, it does feel as bright in the headset. In comparison Quest tops out at 100 nits. And the OLED panels in PSVR2 do a great job at reproducing HDR color.