By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gameinformer readers best games of all time list 2024 vs 2018 350k votes

https://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2018/03/19/readers-choice-top-300-games-of-all-time.aspx for 2018

it was

1. witcher 3

2. last of us 2

3. OOT

4. mass effect 2

5. skrim

6. BOTW

7. Final fanasty VII

8. Red dead 1

9.bioshock

10. bloodborn

For 2024 it seems nintendo presence got much stronger after the switch. So what do you guy think good list or not and which do you prefer.

Around the Network

Holy wow, i just saw IGN readers votes for best game of all time with 26 million votes

https://www.ign.com/articles/ign-best-video-game-of-all-time-bracket-vote-finale-results-winners-god-of-war

GOW 2018 for best game of all time is crazy. This is so shocking to me, can't believe it beat BOTW and GTAV.

The top 8 is actually pretty damn good imo, except for San Andreas which was a ton a fun back then but it's only here due to nostalgia reasons.

GTAV is one of the best selling games of all time and it's damn good.
Batman Arkham City was my favorite game from the PS3/X360 gen. Still holds today.
Witcher 3 is considered by a lot as their GOAT.
Bloodborne is the actual GOAT.

Also BOTW and COD are also loved by most.

Last edited by zeldaring - on 26 July 2024

RESETERA BEST game of all time by points. so you can compare to ign a more casual site.

Bloodborne WINNER
Final Fantasy VII 10
Resident Evil 4 9
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night 8
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 8
Chrono Trigger 7
Dark Souls 7
Portal 2 7
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 6
Street Fighter II 6
Super Mario Bros. 3 6
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate 6
The Last of Us 6
Doom 5
Mass Effect 2 5
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater 5
Red Dead Redemption 5
StarCraft 5
Super Mario 64 5
Tetris 5
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves 5
Animal Crossing: New Horizons 4
Apex Legends 4
Burnout 3: Takedown 4
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 4
Fallout: New Vegas 4
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas 4
Half-Life 2 4
Inside 4
Journey 4
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe 4
Super Mario World 4
The Sims 3 4
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag 3
BioShock 3
Diablo II 3
Dishonored 3
God of War (2018) 3
Grand Theft Auto V 3
Half-Life: Alyx 3
Persona 5 Royal 3
Rise of the Tomb Raider 3
Shadow of the Colossus 3
Sid Meier's Civilization IV 3
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 3
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt 3
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 3
Batman: Arkham City 2
Borderlands 2 2
Fable 2 2
Fortnite 2
GoldenEye 007 2
Hades 2
Halo 2 2
Metroid Prime 2
Minecraft 2
Super Metroid 2
World of Warcraft 2
League of Legends 1
Overwatch 1
Rock Band 1
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 1
Titanfall 2 1
Pokémon Yellow

They seem like pretty standard best of lists to me. Shifts probably happen due website demographics (older userbases will have OOT and FF7 where younger ones would place stuff like TLOU and BOTW) and potential boosts due to recent hits.

I think I like Resetera's the most and IGN's the least.

I would have liked a better representation of Japanese third parties, I am not expecting Ikaruga to get into these but I'd take stuff like Devil May Cry 3/5, a Monster Hunter generation, the better Yakuza games or Ninja Gaiden over many of these but I get why what got in is popular.

I personally thought TLoU 2 was meh, same with everything from Rockstar.

Zelda is always amazing as is Bloodborne.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:

TLOU2 was ruined cause of the horrible story it's so sad cause them the graphics and gameplay were good.

I can't hate on rockstar cause they do make the best most complex detailed open world in gaming by far, but damn do i wish it would have some fun combat in them with descent controls, and not aiming that was dog shit.

GOW 2018 was near a perfect game for me, and so was bloodborn, as for  botw i only have one issue the combat is weak, other wise amazing.

Shit lists. From a shit magazine. These lists on any of these websites are heavily skewed to people who have a limited range in experiencing the wide world of games. There are some amazing games on the PC 88 that no one has heard of outside of Japan. Lots of stuff is popular there no one knows here. I don't believe in a No 1 best game of all time. It's too generic. Games are so complex from genres to their wide variety of mechanics. It can't be a clear no 1 at everything. You have to go by genre at the very least. Then break down the mechanics. In another case, you need to include a narrative. Story. Music. etc What is the music trying to achieve for each game? As one example. It's not as simple as a list like that. It's too simple-minded.

These lists usually come out of the most mainstream sites with the most basic mainstream views that boil down to a recent popularity contest. So many of these sites. If they ever had an original thought, it would die of loneliness.

Last edited by Leynos - on 26 July 2024

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

zeldaring said:
Chrkeller said:

TLOU2 was ruined cause of the horrible story it's so sad cause them the graphics and gameplay were good.

I can't hate on rockstar cause they do make the best most complex detailed open world in gaming by far, but damn do i wish it would have some fun combat in them with descent controls, and not aiming that was dog shit.

GOW 2018 was near a perfect game for me, and so was bloodborn, as for  botw i only have one issue the combat is weak, other wise amazing.

For me TLOU2 was a classic example of making the sequel was too big.  The game was 5-10 hours too long.  Too many sections were boring and felt tagged on.  

I just cannot stand rockstar gameplay.  too rough.  Kudos for their ability to make massive and impressive worlds.  

I just replayed GoW on the PC.  The game, despite being 6 years old, is nothing short of stellar.  Just an amazing experience.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Leynos said:

Shit lists. From a shit magazine. Expected from milk toast masses. These lists on any of these websites are heavily skewed to people who have a limited range in experiencing the wide world of games. There are some amazing games on the PC 88 that no one has heard of outside of Japan. Lots of stuff is popular there no one knows here. I don't believe in a No 1 best game of all time. It's too generic. Games are so complex from genres to their wide variety of mechanics. It can't be a clear no 1 at everything. You have to go by genre at the very least. Then break down the mechanics. In another case, you need to include a narrative. Story. Music. What is the music trying to achieve? It's not as simple as a list like that. It's too simple-minded.

These lists usually come out of the most mainstream sites with the most basic mainstream views that boil down to a recency popularity contest. So many of these sites. If they ever had an original thought, it would die of loneliness.

well it just a lists of games that are most popular and loved. Did you see the ign list that was 27 million votes. I just wanted to get a idea of what people favorite games are when comparing the most popular and loved games.

Leynos said:

Shit lists. From a shit magazine. These lists on any of these websites are heavily skewed to people who have a limited range in experiencing the wide world of games. There are some amazing games on the PC 88 that no one has heard of outside of Japan. Lots of stuff is popular there no one knows here. I don't believe in a No 1 best game of all time. It's too generic. Games are so complex from genres to their wide variety of mechanics. It can't be a clear no 1 at everything. You have to go by genre at the very least. Then break down the mechanics. In another case, you need to include a narrative. Story. Music. etc What is the music trying to achieve for each game? As one example. It's not as simple as a list like that. It's too simple-minded.

These lists usually come out of the most mainstream sites with the most basic mainstream views that boil down to a recent popularity contest. So many of these sites. If they ever had an original thought, it would die of loneliness.

slight bit pretentious (“It’s too simple-minded”) but I totally agree with you. It’s hard to really call any game *the* best of all time. You could discuss the most innovative game(s) of all time, you could discuss the game(s) with the best story of all time,…but best overall? that is a little too broad to hold any value imo. Sounds more like “Which game *feels* like it should be considered the best of all time?”.