PlayStation 4 or Xbox One?

PS4 34 80.95%

Xbox One 5 11.90%

Tie 1 2.38%

Neither 2 4.76%

Total:42
curl-6 said:
zeldaring said:

Considering this was so damn rare and many games look more impressive and do way more with cpu this is really most likely just a less skilled port team doing the job.

If I recall, Xbox One actually has a slight CPU advantage over PS4; both use an 8-core Jaguar CPU, but PS4 is clocked at 1.6GHz while Xbox One runs slightly faster at 1.75GHz.

PS4 is still the more powerful console overall due to a beefier GPU and higher memory bandwidth, but unless I'm remembering wrong it's one of those things where it's not better in every metric, kinda like how PS3 beat the 360 in terms of CPU power but the 360 had advantages in bandwidth and memory allocation.

Ps4 also had double the ram which also much faster it really wasn't close. Like 98% of ps4 games run better.

Around the Network
zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

If I recall, Xbox One actually has a slight CPU advantage over PS4; both use an 8-core Jaguar CPU, but PS4 is clocked at 1.6GHz while Xbox One runs slightly faster at 1.75GHz.

PS4 is still the more powerful console overall due to a beefier GPU and higher memory bandwidth, but unless I'm remembering wrong it's one of those things where it's not better in every metric, kinda like how PS3 beat the 360 in terms of CPU power but the 360 had advantages in bandwidth and memory allocation.

Ps4 also had double the ram which also much faster it really wasn't close. Like 98% of ps4 games run better.

PS4 didn't have double the RAM; both had 8GB, of which around5-5.5GB was available for running games.

curl-6 said:
zeldaring said:

PS4 didn't have double the RAM; both had 8GB, of which around5-5.5GB was available for running games.

Thanks for correcting me.

Pemalite said:
zeldaring said:

Again this is subjective and really up to a developer's skill. Resident evil 4 was the best looking exclusive 6th gen GC that doesn't make it more powerful then xbox. Like how do I compare gtav vs uncharted 3 for example? I would say gtav pushes those 7th gen consoles to the max more then uncharted 3 and the results are pretty even, then you have more technically demanding games like late gen ports that both ps3/360 were pretty even like mgsv and crisis 3 for example. Sony developers are obviously way more skilled then Microsofts when it comes to making great  graphics so you are not factoring in skill of the developer.

When I mention halo 4 I said you don't think it's up there with sony best exclusives technically but other people knowledgeable about the subject do, so you opinion on it is not really a fact it's debatable and I don't think Sony has the best looking exclusives it's pretty close.

Again. It's not subjective.

Thus we can safely say that...
1) Playstation 3 had the best looking games of that console generation. God of War 3, Uncharted 3, The Last of Us and more are a step up over the Xbox 360's best looking game... Halo 4.
2) Playstation 3 had more full 1080P games of that console generation.

zeldaring said:

Resident evil 4 was the best looking exclusive 6th gen GC that doesn't make it more powerful then xbox.

The thing with the 6th generation is that all the consoles were very different from each other in terms of capabilities.

The Original Xbox was a shader powerhouse, whilst the Gamecube was extremely good at multitexturing. That TEV, despite being fixed function held it's own really well verses the nVidia SM1.4 hardware in the Xbox.

And we saw this with games... Halo 2 had superior effects to Resident Evil 4 on Gamecube with things like Depth of Field, Material Shaders, Dynamic Lighting and in some rare instances, stencil shadows.
Games like Riddick, Doom 3, Half Life 2 and even Morrowind showcased the Original Xbox was far more capable than the Gamecube... And yes that includes besting Resident Evil 4 in many aspects.

zeldaring said:

Like how do I compare gtav vs uncharted 3 for example? I would say gtav pushes those 7th gen consoles to the max more then uncharted 3 and the results are pretty even, then you have more technically demanding games like late gen ports that both ps3/360 were pretty even like mgsv and crisis 3 for example.

GTA5 isn't a technical showpiece for 7th gen, it never was.
I would argue Red Dead Redemption is the game you should be praising compared to GTA5.

zeldaring said:

Sony developers are obviously way more skilled then Microsofts when it comes to making great  graphics so you are not factoring in skill of the developer.

Microsoft has some extremely talented developers and some extremely good technology.

Microsoft pushes Direct X and it works with nVidia, AMD and Intel to build, define and develop graphics technologies... Which you guessed it, means that Microsoft helped define even the graphics technology of the Playstation 3, indirectly.

curl-6 said:

Yeah it was Assassin's Creed Unity; both consoles ran at 900p but the Xbone had a better framerate: https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfoundry-2014-assassins-creed-unity-face-off

Thought as much. There are always edge-cases on consoles where the poorer performing console (Overall) will turn out some interesting results.

Almost everyone agrees gtav was one of the most  technically impressive games of 7th gen what they did was miracle on 360/ps3 considering a few developers said making a living breathing city was the most technically demanding thing in gaming.  Sorry after saying that you completely lost any credibility for me.

Are you a developer or something? Considering many people at beyond3d which is a TECH board say comparing totally different games is meaningless to Guage hardware power but you seem to know it all  just by looking at a game. Like saying silly things like gtav is not a show case on 360/ps3 is insane to me. Looking at post from DF the most techically demanding game on 360/ps3 is the  Crysis games, but according to you it's not subjective you are the all seeing eye.

As Microsoft developers just look at Xbox one vs ps4. 

Last edited by zeldaring - on 28 July 2024

curl-6 said:
zeldaring said:

Yeah. PS4 just had faster RAM with GDDR5 vs the XBO DDR3.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
zeldaring said:

Almost everyone agrees gtav was one of the most  technically impressive games of 7th gen what they did was miracle on 360/ps3 considering a few developers said making a living breathing city was the most technically demanding thing in gaming.  Sorry after saying that you completely lost any credibility for me.

Are you a developer or something? Considering many people at beyond3d which is a TECH board say comparing totally different games is meaningless to Guage hardware power but you seem to know it all  just by looking at a game. Like saying silly things like gtav is not a show case on 360/ps3 is insane to me.

As Microsoft developers just look at Xbox one vs ps4. It makes ps4 look it's 2x Xbox one.

Crysis 3 shits all over GTA5 on Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 from a technical standpoint.

curl-6 said:

Xbox One did indeed run at 1.75Ghz verses the Playstation 4's 1.6Ghz.
The Playstation 4 also required additional DDR3 Ram and ARM CPU-Cores to do what the Xbox One did on the Jaguar cores for OS/System stuff, Microsoft's OS know-how really came to the surface this gen.

The Xbox One also had DDR3 Ram which was lower latency and could also use the 32MB eSRAM as a L3, so for latency sensitive CPU transactions that weren't in cache, the Xbox One had a sizable advantage, more than the clockspeed differentials would otherwise imply.

zeldaring said:

Only person saying anything about GTA5 is literally you. Thus "everyone" is a stretch, thought about running a Poll?

Considering how commonplace open world games were like GTA4, Oblivion, Skyrim, FarCry, Fallout, Borderlands and more... GTA5 didn't bring forth anything new in that aspect.

NPC density? You do know Dead Rising was a thing on Xbox, right?

Technically Red-Dead Redemption poops all over GTA5... And so do many other games.

zeldaring said:

Are you a developer or something? Considering many people at beyond3d which is a TECH board say comparing totally different games is meaningless to Guage hardware power but you seem to know it all  just by looking at a game. Like saying silly things like gtav is not a show case on 360/ps3 is insane to me. Looking at post from DF the most techically demanding game on 360/ps3 is the  Crysis games, but according to you it's not subjective you are the all seeing eye.

Are you a developer? Pretty loaded question that I could throw right back at you... And can have a very wide application in terms of it's definition.
A developer could be someone making a simple ASCII based text game... Or be part of a 500~ person team building Call of Duty... It could be someone doing programming on A.I routines or someone making a picture in photo-shop to go on an in-game billboard.

But yes, I have developed some small games over the years using objective C... But even further back on the Commodore 64 using beginners all-purpose symbolic instruction code... Or BASIC for short.
I have also worked in teams to build pixel and vertex shader programs in order to get demanding video games to run on GPU's they were never designed to run on. I.E. Direct X9 SM3.0 games on Direct X 8.1 SM1.4 hardware.

But my real passion has always been hardware and rendering technology, I actually wanted to become a microprocessor engineer, but the training/education opportunities weren't available here in the 90's at a university level... But I did design some rudimentary 8-bit microprocessors, micro-controllers and more in order to power robotics in the 90's.

So don't take me for someone who doesn't know anything.

Leynos said:

Higher latency though in terms of latency per cycle. - So if there was ever a mispredict or the data wasn't in the CPU's local cache, the Playstation 4 would get penalized more than the Xbox One.

The Playstation 4 however having vastly more GPU resources could do more work on the GPU, that would normally be done on the CPU... Side-stepping the CPU issues, so it was a net-win either way.

Sony made all the right choices that generation.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
zeldaring said:

Are you a developer or something? Considering many people at beyond3d which is a TECH board say comparing totally different games is meaningless to Guage hardware power but you seem to know it all  just by looking at a game. Like saying silly things like gtav is not a show case on 360/ps3 is insane to me.

As Microsoft developers just look at Xbox one vs ps4. It makes ps4 look it's 2x Xbox one.

Crysis 3 shits all over GTA5 on Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 from a technical standpoint.

curl-6 said:

Xbox One did indeed run at 1.75Ghz verses the Playstation 4's 1.6Ghz.
The Playstation 4 also required additional DDR3 Ram and ARM CPU-Cores to do what the Xbox One did on the Jaguar cores for OS/System stuff, Microsoft's OS know-how really came to the surface this gen.

The Xbox One also had DDR3 Ram which was lower latency and could also use the 32MB eSRAM as a L3, so for latency sensitive CPU transactions that weren't in cache, the Xbox One had a sizable advantage, more than the clockspeed differentials would otherwise imply.

zeldaring said:

Only person saying anything about GTA5 is literally you. Thus "everyone" is a stretch, thought about running a Poll?

Considering how commonplace open world games were like GTA4, Oblivion, Skyrim, FarCry, Fallout, Borderlands and more... GTA5 didn't bring forth anything new in that aspect.

NPC density? You do know Dead Rising was a thing on Xbox, right?

Technically Red-Dead Redemption poops all over GTA5... And so do many other games.

zeldaring said:

Are you a developer? Pretty loaded question that I could throw right back at you... And can have a very wide application in terms of it's definition.
A developer could be someone making a simple ASCII based text game... Or be part of a 500~ person team building Call of Duty... It could be someone doing programming on A.I routines or someone making a picture in photo-shop to go on an in-game billboard.

But yes, I have developed some small games over the years using objective C... But even further back on the Commodore 64 using beginners all-purpose symbolic instruction code... Or BASIC for short.
I have also worked in teams to build pixel and vertex shader programs in order to get demanding video games to run on GPU's they were never designed to run on. I.E. Direct X9 SM3.0 games on Direct X 8.1 SM1.4 hardware.

But my real passion has always been hardware and rendering technology, I actually wanted to become a microprocessor engineer, but the training/education opportunities weren't available here in the 90's at a university level... But I did design some rudimentary 8-bit microprocessors, micro-controllers and more in order to power robotics in the 90's.

So don't take me for someone who doesn't know anything.

Leynos said:

Higher latency though in terms of latency per cycle. - So if there was ever a mispredict or the data wasn't in the CPU's local cache, the Playstation 4 would get penalized more than the Xbox One.

The Playstation 4 however having vastly more GPU resources could do more work on the GPU, that would normally be done on the CPU... Side-stepping the CPU issues, so it was a net-win either way.

Sony made all the right choices that generation.

You saying red dead poops on GTAV really shows how subjective this is. I'm not talking about here but EVERY forum i visit like resetera, neogaf, and beyond3d all  have GTAV at the highest technical achievment on 7th gen consoles, and Like i said no one can look at a game and really tell how technically  demanding it is, that why it's better to use multiplatform games in a large number to compare consoles, same method used for PC'S. Did you even know GTAV uses PBR? with scale it has is insane.

scale and sadboxy-ness impose a lot more performance costs and complications, so it makes every achievemnts much more impressive. But it trully is hard to weight scope vs. detail.

If you were to put games in distinct categories though (like weight classes in combat sports) we could divide them in order of technical complexity created by scope/scale/freedom like this:

-2D games (mostly hand-crafted art);
-Fighting games;
-2.5D platformers and top down games (3d graphis with very constrained/predictable cameras);
-Free roam linear 3D games and racers;
-Open World games;
-Free roam Space Sims;
-Roy (full simulation of the universe in VR)

In GTAV's category, it pulls no punches in terms of ambition while still having asset detail at least in the same league if not better than many games that are trying to do less.

GTA has fully explorable world, no well masked invisible walls, seamless interior/exterior integration, full dynamic ToD and weather with realistic sun shadow tragectories, and it lets you both walk at a slow pace throught that world right close to everything but also fly through it at speed (real strain on streaming).

While on foot the world is highly interactive: many NPCs with high quality animations and physics (for the time) and many physically simulated 3D objects, tons of traffic, and you can also fly high enough that you can see the entire map on screen at once, and fall back down at reasonable speed without a hitch from the game and relatively discrete LOD transitions.

It tacled both Interior and exterior Urban environments, Forests, Farms, Deserts, Mountains, Rivers, Under Water etc... It does all of them very servicibly, and no city that gen looks as plausible and rich in its execution as Los Santos (no building fucking repeats ever)

I have deep respects for Rockstars achievements there, and many feel the same. It also doesn't take a genuis to tell which is one is  techically more demanding in this case.

zeldaring said:

You saying red dead poops on GTAV really shows how subjective this is. I'm not talking about here but EVERY forum i visit like resetera, neogaf, and beyond3d all  have GTAV at the highest technical achievment on 7th gen consoles, and Like i said no one can look at a game and really tell how technically  demanding it is, that why it's better to use multiplatform games in a large number to compare consoles, same method used for PC'S. Did you even know GTAV uses PBR? with scale it has is insane.

Crysis 3 literally has a better, more robust, more extensive array of visual effects, techniques and presents superior graphics on 7th gen consoles.

This isn't "subjective". This is fact. CryEngine is technically more proficient than the RAGE engine.

If you can find where GTA5 is visually more technically impressive than this... I will eat my hat... Until then. You don't have an argument.

zeldaring said:

scale and sadboxy-ness impose a lot more performance costs and complications, so it makes every achievemnts much more impressive. But it trully is hard to weight scope vs. detail.

Open world games were a dime-a-dozen on 7th gen. I already listed a heap... So I will repeat myself yet again and make a notable mention of titles such as GTA4, Oblivion, Skyrim, FarCry, Fallout, Borderlands and more.

GTA5 isn't special in this regard.

zeldaring said:

If you were to put games in distinct categories though (like weight classes in combat sports) we could divide them in order of technical complexity created by scope/scale/freedom like this:

-Fighting games;
-2.5D platformers and top down games (3d graphis with very constrained/predictable cameras);
-Open World games;
-Free roam Space Sims;

This is bullshit.

You can have some very technical 2.5D games like Links Awakening on Nintendo Switch with it's material shaders, depth of field and smart use of specular highlights, which is arguably more technically proficient than say... Mario Odyssey.

The "type" of games and how they are presented is thus irrellevent, the underlying technology is what's important.

Case in point... Gamebryo powered Oblivion... A sprawling open world game with ample use of shader model 3.0 features and bloom... Yet that same engine powered another "2.5D" game like Defense Grid... Which ironically deployed the same visual effects, but just in a different manner.

Technically same feature visual sets, artistically and mechanically very different.

And before you ask, I have very low-level understanding of Net-Immerse turned Gamebryo turned Creation Engine as I have done a ton of modding and reverse engineering of shaders.

Because apparently... Qualifications and experience means everything to you, but doesn't apply to you.

zeldaring said:

In GTAV's category, it pulls no punches in terms of ambition while still having asset detail at least in the same league if not better than many games that are trying to do less.

No one in the history of this thread has ever said that GTA5 lacked ambition or scale.

This argument is redundant.

zeldaring said:

GTA has fully explorable world, no well masked invisible walls, seamless interior/exterior integration, full dynamic ToD and weather with realistic sun shadow tragectories, and it lets you both walk at a slow pace throught that world right close to everything but also fly through it at speed (real strain on streaming).

Isn't the point of all open world games is to have an explore-able world?

Isn't the point of all games in general is to have a new world to explore?

Different scales and scope, but that tends to be the entire point of a video game environment.

Many games list everything you list on 7th gen. I mean shit... FarCry had fire propagation and moveable foliage.

zeldaring said:

While on foot the world is highly interactive: many NPCs with high quality animations and physics (for the time) and many physically simulated 3D objects, tons of traffic, and you can also fly high enough that you can see the entire map on screen at once, and fall back down at reasonable speed without a hitch from the game and relatively discrete LOD transitions.

I would argue Breath of the Wild was more interactive with significantly more simulated aspects that you can interact with.

Same goes for many other open world games like... Again. FarCry... And ironically Minecraft even.

Do you even understand how they enabled such draw distances with such seamless LOD transitions? They used a technique called "impostering" where essentially they use a 2D photo of the 3D asset... This technique got popularized with Halo: Reach and was a massive efficiency boon.

I.E. This is another cutback from Halo 3 to Halo: Reach/Halo 4, where they abandoned the use of high quality geometric assets.

zeldaring said:

It tacled both Interior and exterior Urban environments, Forests, Farms, Deserts, Mountains, Rivers, Under Water etc... It does all of them very servicibly, and no city that gen looks as plausible and rich in its execution as Los Santos (no building fucking repeats ever)

I have deep respects for Rockstars achievements there, and many feel the same. It also doesn't take a genuis to tell which is one is  techically more demanding in this case.

I am going to call you out on this lie.
Houses in Mirror Park are duplicated with some tweaks, they are the same model.

But unique assets isn't a technical achievement, it's a time/money limitation, not an engine limitation.

GTA5 is an impressive game, but it's not the most technically impressive on 7th gen, not by a long mile.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

As someone who can't stand R* tbh. GTA5 looked impressive from a typical consumer POV. I've never made a game unless you count like 2 levels;s in RPG Maker lol. Gameplay-wise wise it honestly was pretty standard fair with some bad aiming for shooting. Invisible walls on boundaries not marked. I'm not doing a direct comparison as they are different games overall. But BoTW and XCX did a better job of that one aspect of the boundaries are clearly marked without needing a map or flying a plane into an invisible wall.

GTA to me is popular because taking place in a realistic city and has common crime elements with edgy humor. It takes no real risks in setting or gameplay. It's very accessible and so it doesn't have much depth. TBH GTA mission design is dated. You have to do the mission as it wants you to despite being called "Sandbox" and you have to do the story missions in an order. This is a PS2-era logic. I don't think what you can do in the open map has changed much in 20 years down its core. Again fundamentally different games not comparing overall. But BoTW is closer to a true sandbox. Approach the problem how you want. Solve it how you want. In any order you want. Not faulting anyone who likes GTA. I liked Vice City a lot. I just get bored of open city games despite a large map. They're structured as linear games.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Pemalite said:
zeldaring said:

Crysis 3 literally has a better, more robust, more extensive array of visual effects, techniques and presents superior graphics on 7th gen consoles.

This isn't "subjective". This is fact. CryEngine is technically more proficient than the RAGE engine.

If you can find where GTA5 is visually more technically impressive than this... I will eat my hat... Until then. You don't have an argument.

zeldaring said:

Open world games were a dime-a-dozen on 7th gen. I already listed a heap... So I will repeat myself yet again and make a notable mention of titles such as GTA4, Oblivion, Skyrim, FarCry, Fallout, Borderlands and more.

GTA5 isn't special in this regard.

zeldaring said:

-Fighting games;
-Open World games;
-Free roam Space Sims;

This is bullshit.

You can have some very technical 2.5D games like Links Awakening on Nintendo Switch with it's material shaders, depth of field and smart use of specular highlights, which is arguably more technically proficient than say... Mario Odyssey.

The "type" of games and how they are presented is thus irrellevent, the underlying technology is what's important.

Case in point... Gamebryo powered Oblivion... A sprawling open world game with ample use of shader model 3.0 features and bloom... Yet that same engine powered another "2.5D" game like Defense Grid... Which ironically deployed the same visual effects, but just in a different manner.

Technically same feature visual sets, artistically and mechanically very different.

And before you ask, I have very low-level understanding of Net-Immerse turned Gamebryo turned Creation Engine as I have done a ton of modding and reverse engineering of shaders.

Because apparently... Qualifications and experience means everything to you, but doesn't apply to you.

zeldaring said:

No one in the history of this thread has ever said that GTA5 lacked ambition or scale.

This argument is redundant.

zeldaring said:

GTA has fully explorable world, no well masked invisible walls, seamless interior/exterior integration, full dynamic ToD and weather with realistic sun shadow tragectories, and it lets you both walk at a slow pace throught that world right close to everything but also fly through it at speed (real strain on streaming).

Isn't the point of all open world games is to have an explore-able world?

Isn't the point of all games in general is to have a new world to explore?

Different scales and scope, but that tends to be the entire point of a video game environment.

Many games list everything you list on 7th gen. I mean shit... FarCry had fire propagation and moveable foliage.

zeldaring said:

I would argue Breath of the Wild was more interactive with significantly more simulated aspects that you can interact with.

Same goes for many other open world games like... Again. FarCry... And ironically Minecraft even.

Do you even understand how they enabled such draw distances with such seamless LOD transitions? They used a technique called "impostering" where essentially they use a 2D photo of the 3D asset... This technique got popularized with Halo: Reach and was a massive efficiency boon.

I.E. This is another cutback from Halo 3 to Halo: Reach/Halo 4, where they abandoned the use of high quality geometric assets.

zeldaring said:

I am going to call you out on this lie.
Houses in Mirror Park are duplicated with some tweaks, they are the same model.

But unique assets isn't a technical achievement, it's a time/money limitation, not an engine limitation.

GTA5 is an impressive game, but it's not the most technically impressive on 7th gen, not by a long mile.

You said red dead is more of a show case  then GTAV which almost no one would agree with. Even a average joe can look look at both games and tell which one is doing more technically more demanding. My main point which you seem to cant understand is this subjective. every game engine is doing mutiple things that no one can really confirm which is techically more demanding just by looking at game unless one really blows the other away, crysis 3 pushed the most advanced tech for sure but it's not  replicating living breathing city with traffic, huge number of npc's that react accodingly  and the level of detail, scale and even the ai GTAV had is still better then most open world games today. yes open world games are dime a dozen but GTAV blows every single one away on 7th it's not even close. This is big budget open world  game that came out in 2020 and GTAV NPC's are still way more advanced.  if you can't see why many people think it's near the top of most impressive games that just your opinion and stop tring to act like your opinion are facts. It's probably that you never played GTAV when it came out because it was leaps above evrything else.

I think the biggest proof of what i'm saying is true is Wiiu. You had all these people that were very knowledgeable about graphics Tech making claims that all these games were far beyond ps3/360 and using a much more powerful and advanced 352 gflops GPU when it reality was not. also the most techically advanced game crysis 3 runs better on 360 so does that make 360 more powerful? like i said my method for judging console power is the best most logical method and even by the end when most developers had enough time to get used to the ps3 which was 7 years its was pretty damn close with them trading blows, so i would say ps3/360 is on par, but i would still say 360 is the superior platform for playing most games which is a fact.