By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you prefer single or multiplayer games?

Do you prefer single or multiplayer games?

Single Player 410 84.89%

Local Multiplayer 46 9.52%

Online Multiplayer 27 5.59%

Total:483

Going to try to do more smaller oriented polls to make sure I keep on these. Sorry for the delay on this one. It's been a weird week or so. Sorry guys. 

Around the Network

My best gaming memories have always been with friends or cousins growing up with local multiplayer. Whether at LAN parties or going at a midnight launch and playing that entire night doing co-op of the games story campaign or PvP, nothing beats that experience.

I'll always love single player games as well but I'll always prefer local multiplayer.

This is an easy one for me. I prefer games with excellent single-player campaigns.

Single-player > cooperative multiplayer > competitive multiplayer
Local multiplayer > online multiplayer

While I enjoy multiplayer games, I definitely like single player games more. Usually the single player experiences tend to be much more memorable.

As a kid, I preferred local multiplayer by far. Sharing a console with multiple siblings plus having a gaming cousin meant multiplayer was the standard. Also, back then it was probably easier to find easy local multiplayer games because single player games had less difficulty options in terms of accessibility.
Since my late teens, I've preferred single player by a country mile. The stories, vibes, open areas (in open games), etc.
Online multiplayer is far more convenient, so I suppose I prefer it over local multiplayer. Be that as it may, if my fellow adult family members had more time and I had more space, local multiplayer would be so awesome. It's a rare thing nowawadays for me.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 161 million (was 73 million, then 96 million, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million, then 156 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network

I come from the era where the hallmark of a great game was whether or not it could engross the player in its universe and not let go. Games where you wanted to turn off the lights, alone, in your tiny little bedroom so you could get sucked into another world for hours on end. So I vote single player.

I so rarely play online. My best friend of 14 years is the only one and even then it's sparse. Aliens Fireteam Elite a few months ago then you have to go back 8 years with Guilty Gear Xrd. Played online in other stuff over the years but can count on 1 hand. The genres and games I like are single-player focused. Focused on a world or characters or story or all of them. But they also have gameplay to match. Esp helps that I collect games physically so no point in buying an online multiplayer-focused game. Esp these days when all of those are GaaS. yuck.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

As the years go by and the responsibilities get bigger, Multiplayer games are the go to for my gaming fix. I usually go through all the story games I'm interested in when I'm off work for a week or 2 which is a rare occasion.

Nowadays single player is nearly all I play. Back in the day, when I could dedicate many more hours to gaming, I played much more multiplayer, but alas, life goes on.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

The only real multiplayer games I played were Unreal Tournament and World of Tanks, and those were 10 and 20 years ago respectively.

Other than those, it's almost all singleplayer with some rare multiplayer games (like Wii Sports, Just Dance or Mario Kart) when someone comes over and wants to play.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 18 July 2024