By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 27, 2024 (Jul 01 - Jul 07)

zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

Game quality is a matter of opinion. For a lot of folks, something like Suika Game or Momotaro is a better experience than something like RE4 or Elden Ring.

We are not talking about what someone thinks is more fun. We are talking about quality here something like resident evil 4, witcher 3 remake or BOTW has much higher quality then something like super meat boy or momotaro cause of the budget, and size of team making the game. Example someone might not like nintendo games  but we should still  recognize they make quality games. Of course everything can be argued, and is subjective in the end. it's also just not that it's devs that earned their respect by making hit after hit for generations.

Quality =/= bigger budget...

I do agree the state of the PS brand in Japan is sad but there's no one to blame but Sony themselves. It's a decline happening since the PS3/PSP days, too. What I'm wondering is how bad can things get on the PS6, especially if the third party support on the Switch 2 is better.

Around the Network
RedKingXIII said:
zeldaring said:

We are not talking about what someone thinks is more fun. We are talking about quality here something like resident evil 4, witcher 3 remake or BOTW has much higher quality then something like super meat boy or momotaro cause of the budget, and size of team making the game. Example someone might not like nintendo games  but we should still  recognize they make quality games. Of course everything can be argued, and is subjective in the end. it's also just not that it's devs that earned their respect by diffuclutmaking hit after hit for generations.

I do agree the state of the PS brand in Japan is sad but there's no one to blame but Sony themselves. It's a decline happening since the PS3/PSP days, too. What I'm wondering is how bad can things get on the PS6, especially if the third party support on the Switch 2 is better.

It's a combination  of factors budget, skill of the team and time which requires more money. I really think there is no comparison and those game are more mobile games then real AAA console games.

I really don't agree with sony is too blame, games and console is selling great WW and when you look at the ps2 it had a  monopoly on the industry with every developer being exclusive from west to east and it only managed 23 million, it  was only downhill from there, with games taking much longer to make and handhelds getting closer to home console games. keep in mind N64, GC were massive failures in japan, and wii sold very little as well, it's a very  difficult market for a home console.

Last edited by zeldaring - on 16 July 2024

zeldaring said:
RedKingXIII said:

It's a combination  of factors budget, skill of the team and time which requires more money. I really think there is no comparison and those game are more mobile games then real AAA console games.

I really don't agree with sony is too blame, games and console is selling great WW and when you look at the ps2 it had a  monopoly on the industry with every developer being exclusive from west to east and it only managed 23 million, it  was only downhill from there, with games taking much longer to make and handhelds getting closer to home console games. keep in mind N64, GC were massive failures in japan, and wii sold very little as well, it's a very  difficult market for a home console.

"Only" 23 million???? What are you talking about???? The PS2 is the best selling home console in Japan EVER. It's a country that has always prefered handhelds and a population of ~126m... This 23m number is GREAT.

And yes, Sony can only blame themselves. The PS5 is a huge ass console that is too expensive in a country that really loves handhelds and is really price sensitive. Going back, the PS decline is also their fault. They stopped making handhelds, with Japan Studio also failing to deliver anything successful during the PS4/Vita generation, so Sony shut the studio down. I do love some Gravity Rush but these games did nothing for the success of the PS4 or the Vita in Japan or anywhere. Their western studios don't make any games that cater to the japanese. The Vita being a massive failure and fuck up also didn't do any wonders for them.

Honestly? Depending on the Switch 2 third party support things will only get worse with the PS6. But that's fine... the PS consoles and Japanese studios can find success in other platforms and places of the world.

I also disagree with your logic that games with bigger budgets = better games. There's tons of AAA games that are terrible and tons of indie games that are way better while having a fraction of the budget. I'd take Super Meat Boy, a game that you cited in another post, over a Call of Duty any day.

RedKingXIII said:
zeldaring said:

"Only" 23 million???? What are you talking about???? The PS2 is the best selling home console in Japan EVER. It's a country that has always prefered handhelds and a population of ~126m... This 23m number is GREAT.

And yes, Sony can only blame themselves. The PS5 is a huge ass console that is too expensive in a country that really loves handhelds and is really price sensitive. Going back, the PS decline is also their fault. They stopped making handhelds, with Japan Studio also failing to deliver anything successful during the PS4/Vita generation, so Sony shut the studio down. I do love some Gravity Rush but these games did nothing for the success of the PS4 or the Vita in Japan or anywhere. Their western studios don't make any games that cater to the japanese. The Vita being a massive failure and fuck up also didn't do any wonders for them.

Honestly? Depending on the Switch 2 third party support things will only get worse with the PS6. But that's fine... the PS consoles and Japanese studios can find success in other platforms and places of the world.

I also disagree with your logic that games with bigger budgets = better games. There's tons of AAA games that are terrible and tons of indie games that are way better while having a fraction of the budget. I'd take Super Meat Boy, a game that you cited in another post, over a Call of Duty any day.

I really don't think 23 million is much considering it sold 160 million ww and  it had a monopoly with every game being exclusive with zero competition.  Obviously it was gonna be downhill cause that wasn't gonna happen again. Just for reference nes and super nes did 17.5 and 19.5 million considering console sales doubled from that era WW, the amount Japanese exclusives ps2 had, i would hardly call that impressive or optimistic for sony future in japan at least a traditional home console. 

It really depends  on the genre. If you prefer platformers obviously  you will prefer to super meat boy but there aren't many multiplayer military shooters that are better then cod, same with open world games or horror games. With 2d platformers you can make great ones on a small budget.

Last edited by zeldaring - on 16 July 2024

RedKingXIII said:
zeldaring said:

We are not talking about what someone thinks is more fun. We are talking about quality here something like resident evil 4, witcher 3 remake or BOTW has much higher quality then something like super meat boy or momotaro cause of the budget, and size of team making the game. Example someone might not like nintendo games  but we should still  recognize they make quality games. Of course everything can be argued, and is subjective in the end. it's also just not that it's devs that earned their respect by making hit after hit for generations.

I can still see the PS6 get all of the big third party titles as the Switch 2 will still be behind the PS5/Xbox Series X in terms of raw specs. How big the difference is yet to be determined. The problem would be how would the output be moving forward? Budgets aren’t going to go down, inflation or not. There are companies seeking bigger games and realistic graphics. Spider-Man 2 had a budget of hundreds of millions (even if you consider the licensing). That’s not feasible long term. We’ve seen games like Suicide Squad and Redfall fall flat on their faces. We’ve seen games like Starfield and FFVII Rebirth fall short of certain expectations, whether critical, commercial, or both. The industry is in need of a balancing act. We’ll see how things go..

Around the Network

Why is everyone talking about quality and not "what games are most fun to play"

No one really cares about budget or scope or how many A's are tacked onto a game.

Also, having spoken to an Asian person, they tell me that customer goodwill is a lot more important over in Japan, and with how Sony has been treating the Japanese market for the past few years, shipping less ps5 systems to Japan in the early years of the systems life, to undershipping games like stellar blade, closing a lot of it's Japanese studios and having a lot of their games "cater to the west"

Is it really any wonder why games on playstation are not doing as well as they could be.
And I'll say it again, PlayStation's failings are Sony's fault and has nothing to do with Japan being a handheld/mobile country

This is a wild conversation. It’s up to Sony to sell more systems in Japan, market better and understand the market.

Sony’s current place in the Japan market is ALL on Sony. I guess you could blame Nintendo for marketing so well making it more difficult for Sony, but that’s iffy. With all the third party support and exclusives it really is a tremendous failure by Sony in the Japan market.

Double post - delete prease

When we look at the taste of Japan we also have to consider that it is very much a mono culture, really only a very few percentages of foreigners live there permanently and most of them are Asians. In the US and Europe we have a diverse culture and lots of interracials. That automatically creates a very diverse taste for things.

Kneetos said:

Why is everyone talking about quality and not "what games are most fun to play"

No one really cares about budget or scope or how many A's are tacked onto a game.

Also, having spoken to an Asian person, they tell me that customer goodwill is a lot more important over in Japan, and with how Sony has been treating the Japanese market for the past few years, shipping less ps5 systems to Japan in the early years of the systems life, to undershipping games like stellar blade, closing a lot of it's Japanese studios and having a lot of their games "cater to the west"

Is it really any wonder why games on playstation are not doing as well as they could be.
And I'll say it again, PlayStation's failings are Sony's fault and has nothing to do with Japan being a handheld/mobile country

I disagree  ps2 sold 160 million WW and litterly  had every single big Japanese and western game exclusive, as well as Sony making more Japanese style games, with only 23 million coming from japan so of course they are going to focus on the west and need a bigger console for more power meaning and western games. Still it's crazy to me that having every thirdparty game exclusive for generations cause Xbox is dead there and still can't break 12-15 million, and almost impossible to have a huge success with a western game as well in Japan. So no I don't Blame Sony. Let's not also forget that n64, wii, GC sold like horrible in Japan compared to the rest of the world, if your not a handheld you are dead in Japan.