By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - First trailer for Metroid Prime 4: Beyond, coming 2025

Chrkeller said:

Metroid isn't Halo, and that is fine. Both are superb and their own thing. Metroid is about exploration and loneliness.

I give it a try but i honestly  feel like games from those gen did not age well for me, like some of my favorite games were resident evil 4 og, MGS2 and DMC 3 which blew me away back are just that great anymore. al though i think i need to revisit halo that probably held up really well.

Around the Network
zeldaring said:
Chrkeller said:

Metroid isn't Halo, and that is fine. Both are superb and their own thing. Metroid is about exploration and loneliness.

I give it a try but i honestly  feel like games from those gen did not age well for me, like some of my favorite games were resident evil 4 og, MGS2 and DMC 3 which blew me away back are just that great anymore. al though i think i need to revisit halo that probably held up really well.

You may not enjoy it, but it has aged well for what it is.  It isn't a first person shooter.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:
zeldaring said:

You may not enjoy it, but it has aged well for what it is.  It isn't a first person shooter.  

I like exploring but combat being challenging and fun is my main draw to games. The only games i consider amazing with average combat is the zelda franchise.

22 years later people are easily duped by a perspective change. Prime isn't an FPS. It's a first-person Metroid. Just take any 2D Metroid and switch perspective.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Metroid Prime is still among the top of its genres (first person action-adventure; 3D metroidvania) because the genre is now niche and hasn't evolved much since the original Metroid Prime. Just like Silent Hill 2 is still one of the best survival horror titles, and Dragon Quest VIII is still one of the best turn-based JRPG's.

I can imagine an evolution of the genre where Metroid Prime "feels dated" but it hasn't happened yet because the genre doesn't have common releases and hasn't really evolved much since the 6th generation.

Most first person shooters are action titles, not action-adventures. Very few 3D Metroidvania's exist. The original Dark Souls felt like the evolution of the Metroidvania format (large tunneled, level-design, memorable bosses; backtracking; non-linear order) but it evolved into its own genre and has moved to an open world format.

What is a modern game that has done the 3D Metroidvania and updated upon what the original Metroid Prime offered in most aspects? I can't think of one.

Last edited by sc94597 - on 23 June 2024

Around the Network
zeldaring said:
Chrkeller said:

I like exploring but combat being challenging and fun is my main draw to games. The only games i consider amazing with average combat is the zelda franchise.

The combat isn't challenging except a few a bosses.  It may not be your thing, which is fine.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Also, comparing Metroid Prime to the bulk of the FPS genre is like comparing Super Metroid to Metal Slug and other 2D Run and Guns. Totally different experiences.

sc94597 said:

Also, comparing Metroid Prime to the bulk of the FPS genre is like comparing Super Metroid to Metal Slug and other 2D Run and Guns. Totally different experiences.

Not really comparing it to fps but every game with a combat system should have a good combat system that's not brain dead gameplay with no challenge. I'll give you a example rockstar makes the best open worlds in gaming by far, but the combat is brain dead and boring, and it's something that really bothers me. of course for most people it's about exploring the world and doing wacky things, most people love it but GTA could evolve in a huge way with a much better combat system for me.

Last edited by zeldaring - on 23 June 2024

zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

If you know what to look for it's pretty evidently a Switch 1 game, but shortly after it was shown, I saw quite a few people on forums or social media comment that it "looked too good for Switch" or that we must be looking at the Switch 2 version, and that's a testament to the skill and hard work of the team at Retro.

They have a long history of technical excellence going all the way back to Prime 1 in 2002, and its great to see that continue.

I think it's dumb that this game targets 60fps on switch that's why i thought it might be switch 2. You might ask why? well i just feel like they can do way more with 30fps on really dated tech, like better ai for enemies, much better looking and bigger environments and let the switch 2 get a huge benefit by getting the 1440p/60fps version.

Remember Breath of the Wild runs on WiiU and had impressive A.I and Physics all things considered... To early to judge the quality of the A.I yet anyway.
But Metroid tends to rely on heavy scripting for it's routines so you can assess for patterns and counter.

Metroid is a game of exploration and using your analytical and problem solving skills.

zeldaring said:

I never tried prime series only super metroid on super nes  which i thought was good but nothing amazing. I wanted to try prime but i hear that its more about exploration and the combat is really bad, so that kind turned me off.

End of the day this game should have been made with switch 2 in mind and being the main focus on it.

Super Metroid is one of the best games of all time... I would love for it to get a remake that stayed true to the original.
But otherwise it's perfect in my eyes.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
zeldaring said:

I think it's dumb that this game targets 60fps on switch that's why i thought it might be switch 2. You might ask why? well i just feel like they can do way more with 30fps on really dated tech, like better ai for enemies, much better looking and bigger environments and let the switch 2 get a huge benefit by getting the 1440p/60fps version.

Remember Breath of the Wild runs on WiiU and had impressive A.I and Physics all things considered... To early to judge the quality of the A.I yet anyway.
But Metroid tends to rely on heavy scripting for it's routines so you can assess for patterns and counter.

Metroid is a game of exploration and using your analytical and problem solving skills.

zeldaring said:

I never tried prime series only super metroid on super nes  which i thought was good but nothing amazing. I wanted to try prime but i hear that its more about exploration and the combat is really bad, so that kind turned me off.

End of the day this game should have been made with switch 2 in mind and being the main focus on it.

Super Metroid is one of the best games of all time... I would love for it to get a remake that stayed true to the original.
But otherwise it's perfect in my eyes.

Yea i didn't play super Metroid or Lttp till like 12 years ago. LTTP shocked me that a game so old could still be so amazing. Super Metroid just didn't hit for me. I still think zelda 2 is the real start of the metrovania  genre and i though that was great as well.