By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - First trailer for Metroid Prime 4: Beyond, coming 2025

sc94597 said:
Chrkeller said:

Day 1. Hoping it is the same game on S2 and just runs better like ps4 to ps5 games. I don't want to buy two copies.

Looks like this is targeting 720p 60fps on  Switch, given the released screenshots. 

>1080p 60fps definitely a possibility for a  Switch 2 version, given that.

I wonder if they might even have some sort of ray-tracing implementation for a Switch 2 version. Could make the game look amazing lighting-wise.

I don't think they'll go for a 120fps performance mode because of the way these old engines tie physics and animations with framerate. Makes too much work for QA to sort out bugs. 

If they want to show off some ray tracing functionality on the Switch 2 chip, this would probably be the game to do it with. 

Even increasing the resolution is a bit of a waste, just take the stock 540p-720p undocked and docked 720p-900p and let DLSS do the work of the higher resolution, you don't need to use any pixels there. It's already 60 fps from the the looks of things. 

Around the Network

If the trailer was running at 720p, then it was running on Switch 1. I think some people are overstating how good Prime Remastered looks when they say it looks pretty much the same as the Prime 4 trailer. I really don't think so. Prime 4 looks like a pretty substantial improvement on Prime Remastered in terms of graphics to me.

I wonder if Monolith Soft is helping at all. The environments look like something out of a Xenoblade game.

h2ohno said:

If the trailer was running at 720p, then it was running on Switch 1. I think some people are overstating how good Prime Remastered looks when they say it looks pretty much the same as the Prime 4 trailer. I really don't think so. Prime 4 looks like a pretty substantial improvement on Prime Remastered in terms of graphics to me.

It does look a bit better than Metroid Prime Remastered, but I think that can be put down to Retro having more experience with the hardware by this point, more time, and a bigger budget.

Around the Network

Hard to tell from a short video but P4 seemed to have better textures, volumetric and particles effects.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:

Hard to tell from a short video but P4 seemed to have better textures, volumetric and particles effects.

It is indeed hard to tell from what we've seen, but to me, just by eye, the graphics look slightly better than Remastered, the main difference being that it has much more happening on screen.

This sort of mirrors what we saw going from Prime 1 to Prime 2 on Gamecube; the amount of stuff on screen scaled up a bit as they got more experienced at leveraging the hardware.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 20 June 2024

The Talon overworld look alike nailed the feel for me. Loved the music of that place in the trailer.

curl-6 said:
Chrkeller said:

It is indeed hard to tell from what we've seen, but to me, just by eye, the graphics look slightly better than Remastered, the main difference being that it has much more happening on screen.

This sort of mirrors what we saw going from Prime 1 to Prime 2 on Gamecube; the amount of stuff on screen scaled up a bit as they got more experienced at leveraging the hardware.

Absolutely.  And particles, volumetric really pop on a big screen with high contrast.  Via YouTube the visuals look subtle but in real play it can be quite impressive.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:
curl-6 said:

Absolutely.  And particles, volumetric really pop on a big screen with high contrast.  Via YouTube the visuals look subtle but in real play it can be quite impressive.

Yeah games will almost always look better on a TV than on Youtube.

I did find a higher quality version of the trailer with less compression: https://assets.nintendo.com/video/upload/Nintendo%20Direct/2024/06-18-2024/video/spotlight-04.mp4

Last edited by curl-6 - on 20 June 2024