By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Who do you believe is the most over rated developer?

Words Of Wisdom said:
naznatips said:

Yeah, you've lost this argument in quite a grand way.

First of all, you're deflecting. Your original point certainly had nothing to do with engines. Second of all, even your new point is completely wrong.

Starcraft was a 2D RTS running on a completely different engine than Warcraft 3 (a 3D RTS). Starcraft 2 had an entirely new engine developed for it. To see some stuff on how their new engine works check out the Protoss demo on Gametrailers. Heroes and items are not in Starcraft 2, as is confirmed by the developers. For an interview about the gameplay and how different it is check here. For a summary of some key differences check here.

Also, I'm not insulting you, just your points, and you arguing about something you had no knowledge of in the first place. I really hate when people argue for the sake of arguing, and I will shred even people I like (like you) when they do this.

In summary:

You are wrong that they play the same, and you are wrong that they run on the same engines. Blizzard is a high-quality developer that is devoted to making each experience unique, and they build every game from the ground up because of this.

My original point is 100% to do with engines. And I have mentioned Starcraft 2 only in passing (check above for the if it had been released after War3 catch). It's been almost 10 years since the last Starcraft, do you really think I'm suggesting they use that engine for the new one? Or do think it's more likely I was suggesting that had they chosen to do Starcraft 2 after War3 that they would have borrowed on what they built for War3? Stop trying to "win this argument" for a second and think about it logically. Do you really think so little of me that you believe I would take such a ludicrous position?

I also don't think it's fair of you to suddenly say "Oh I thought you were arguing this so you must arguing that and now you're deflecting so I win. Haha." That's not fair at all. You misunderstood what I was saying from the start and now you're playing it off as me changing my position but I'm not.

Come on Naz, I have more respect for you than that. Show me the same.

Jeeze, really pushing the limits of deflecting now. First you said the Craft games were all the same game.  Then you said it was about engines.  Now when I actually show you that all the engines are different, you say that you were never arguing that either.  Do you even have an argument anymore or are you just trying to end this conversation? 

Around the Network
Words Of Wisdom said:
Jhriad said:

Nintendo Sonic Team

"Ok guys, we need a new title. Any ideas?"

*looks around the room*

"Well the last game did well how about we add a few new characters, change the moves up a bit, and to top it off a new level or two?"

GENIUS!

Seriously, how can these story deprived, samey copies of prior generation titles NOT earn any developer the 'overrated' title?

Fixed.

Hahaha, damn.  I was just about to do the same exact thing.

Griffin said:
naznatips said:

You clearly know nothing about these games, and I highly recommend you don't continue talking about them lest you go the way of Griffin.

WTF is this suppose to mean, i gave full detail of the games i played and gave proof that i own that Zelda game.

Actually, you gave generic and not even reasonably accurate descriptions of the games you disliked. Then you gave one incorrect piece of evidence, then a correct piece of evidence, both of which could be found on youtube. Then, as Rocketpig pointed out, you failed to note that there was one thing in that game that no one would forget. Then, when asked to give the one concrete piece of evidence you own the game (a friend code) you didn't even know what it was.

Everyone seems to have noticed that you don't own these games except you Griffin. You were busted on it, and I strongly recommend you don't make up stuff to troll against other game companies in the future.  If you choose not to play these games fine, but it's pretty pathetic to lie to a bunch of people on the internet that you've played/own a bunch of games that you don't just to attack a company you dislike.

Griffin is my new favorite member of this site.

naznatips said:
Griffin said:
naznatips said:

You clearly know nothing about these games, and I highly recommend you don't continue talking about them lest you go the way of Griffin.

WTF is this suppose to mean, i gave full detail of the games i played and gave proof that i own that Zelda game.

Actually, you gave generic and not even reasonably accurate descriptions of the games you disliked. Then you gave one incorrect piece of evidence, then a correct piece of evidence, both of which could be found on youtube. Then, as Rocketpig pointed out, you failed to note that there was one thing in that game that no one would forget. Then, when asked to give the one concrete piece of evidence you own the game (a friend code) you didn't even know what it was.

Everyone seems to have noticed that you don't own these games except you Griffin. You were busted on it, and I strongly recommend you don't make up stuff to troll against other game companies in the future. If you choose not to play these games fine, but it's pretty pathetic to lie to a bunch of people on the internet that you've played/own a bunch of games that you don't just to attack a company you dislike.

The evidence i gave was not incorrect, my post was misread, and if you had the game you would of seen that i was telling the truth.  I will now take a picture of the Zelda DS game and the Orange box and post it in this thread.  I had HL1 on the PS2 back in the day and i sold it a long time ago, so i have no proof of that game, and i did play SMG, but it was not mine, and i won't be able to get you a picture of the game with my file until Tuesday. 

So give a me a couple of minutes so i can figure out how to get a picture from my phone to this site.

Around the Network
naznatips said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
naznatips said:

Yeah, you've lost this argument in quite a grand way.

First of all, you're deflecting. Your original point certainly had nothing to do with engines. Second of all, even your new point is completely wrong.

Starcraft was a 2D RTS running on a completely different engine than Warcraft 3 (a 3D RTS). Starcraft 2 had an entirely new engine developed for it. To see some stuff on how their new engine works check out the Protoss demo on Gametrailers. Heroes and items are not in Starcraft 2, as is confirmed by the developers. For an interview about the gameplay and how different it is check here. For a summary of some key differences check here.

Also, I'm not insulting you, just your points, and you arguing about something you had no knowledge of in the first place. I really hate when people argue for the sake of arguing, and I will shred even people I like (like you) when they do this.

In summary:

You are wrong that they play the same, and you are wrong that they run on the same engines. Blizzard is a high-quality developer that is devoted to making each experience unique, and they build every game from the ground up because of this.

My original point is 100% to do with engines. And I have mentioned Starcraft 2 only in passing (check above for the if it had been released after War3 catch). It's been almost 10 years since the last Starcraft, do you really think I'm suggesting they use that engine for the new one? Or do think it's more likely I was suggesting that had they chosen to do Starcraft 2 after War3 that they would have borrowed on what they built for War3? Stop trying to "win this argument" for a second and think about it logically. Do you really think so little of me that you believe I would take such a ludicrous position?

I also don't think it's fair of you to suddenly say "Oh I thought you were arguing this so you must arguing that and now you're deflecting so I win. Haha." That's not fair at all. You misunderstood what I was saying from the start and now you're playing it off as me changing my position but I'm not.

Come on Naz, I have more respect for you than that. Show me the same.

Jeeze, really pushing the limits of deflecting now. First you said the Craft games were all the same game.  Then you said it was about engines.  Now when I actually show you that all the engines are different, you say that you were never arguing that either.  Do you even have an argument anymore or are you just trying to end this conversation? 

Here's my original quote that got you riled up:  "The *craft series is the same game with a different coat of paint."

It's a car expression.  It's the "same car under the hood with a different coat of paint" expression and I stand by it.  If you want to prove me wrong go ahead.  Compare War2 and Starcraft and show me functionality that one does that the other doesn't that would require completely scrapping the base engine and starting over versus minor modifications.  If they're really as different as you're making them out to be then that should be easy right?  Do so and I will gladly admit my mistake.

What I am doing is arguing that those original games have the same base.  What I am not doing is arguing that their sequels which are coming 10 years apart are the same.  Again, I'm not about to make the ludicrous claim that an engine won't change in a decade as you are repeatedly trying to believe.

You can continue setting up your strawman and knocking him down for all I care, but address my point at least once.

RARE is obviously the most overrated developer studio. After creating so many great games they got bought out by Microsoft and made one good game (viva pinata) and then the stamper brothers left, the genii behind all the games. Now all they make (or are going to make) is crappy renditions of previous great games.

Sorry for the bad quality, my phone camera is not very good.  You will need to select view image to see it in full.

Actually I take it back.  I see where I went wrong now.  Naznatips you are completely correct.

It turns out that the original betas for Starcraft in 96 really WERE using the Warcraft 2 engine but Blizzard completely overhauled it in the Spring/Fall of 97 making it much more than a simple repaint.  I knew about the former, but never knew that they had actually rebuilt the thing for Starcraft.

Well argued.  ^_^

Rath said:
Jhriad said:

Nintendo

"Ok guys, we need a new title. Any ideas?"

*looks around the room*

"Well the last game did well how about we add a few new characters, change the moves up a bit, and to top it off a new level or two?"

GENIUS!

Seriously, how can these story deprived, samey copies of prior generation titles NOT earn any developer the 'overrated' title?

Because they are very very fun?

Ding ding ding we have a winner!

*sigh* it saddens me that people just can't have fun anymore. Where gamers rather have a frown on their face than a smile. Ah well. *continues having fun with games*

@Naznatips

I'm a big fan of Warcraft III myself. Here's hoping that Wrath of the Lich King wont take too much of the great story from IV. What am I saying? Of course it will. Ah well, I'll have fun playing it anyways. ^___^

@WoW

I'm pretty new here, but you know a community is great when people can have great arguements and then end it well. Kudos.