By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - LEGO Horizon Adventures announced for PS5, PC, and Switch

KrspaceT said:
zeldaring said:

It differently interesting but I won't count on Sony releasing there system sellers ip on switch. This is gonna do much better on Switch then ps5 imo, if Sony releases god of war of zero dawn then that would be a radical shift for sony.

This does make me wonder if we might see Switch 2 have some port of say, Horizon Zero Dawn, Spiderman PS4, Miles Morales, or GoW 2018 on it. Honestly I think they could probably get Forbidden or Ragnarok to run on it via the PS4 versions as a base, but if they are only deciding to do it now they might see it as better to work on Switch 2 versions. 

..Though that would be a world, wouldn't it? 

curl-6 said:

Yeah I don't expect the big stuff like God of War or mainline Horizon to come to Nintendo, at least not in the near term. 

I do think this could potentially set a precedent for less high profile stuff to make the jump in the future though; like how Microsoft brought Grounded and Pentiment to Switch/PS. True and complete exclusivity is growing increasingly rare in today's market as dev costs rise.

Honestly something like this probably costs a lot less than the above titles to make, even with Lego fees. But if you need to sell, IDK, 12 million units of the next Horizon game to break even, it might be considered profit efficient to port the earlier games to Switch 2 for both more cash flow and advertisement. 

It's possible but I don't think it's a good busniess model if they wanna sell Playstation consoles. Gow, Spider-Man and Horizon are system sellers the whole generation,  no one is buy Playstation for a Lego game and while it does have alloy it's still a Lego game main audience being children.

Around the Network
zeldaring said:
KrspaceT said:

This does make me wonder if we might see Switch 2 have some port of say, Horizon Zero Dawn, Spiderman PS4, Miles Morales, or GoW 2018 on it. Honestly I think they could probably get Forbidden or Ragnarok to run on it via the PS4 versions as a base, but if they are only deciding to do it now they might see it as better to work on Switch 2 versions. 

..Though that would be a world, wouldn't it? 

curl-6 said:

Yeah I don't expect the big stuff like God of War or mainline Horizon to come to Nintendo, at least not in the near term. 

I do think this could potentially set a precedent for less high profile stuff to make the jump in the future though; like how Microsoft brought Grounded and Pentiment to Switch/PS. True and complete exclusivity is growing increasingly rare in today's market as dev costs rise.

Honestly something like this probably costs a lot less than the above titles to make, even with Lego fees. But if you need to sell, IDK, 12 million units of the next Horizon game to break even, it might be considered profit efficient to port the earlier games to Switch 2 for both more cash flow and advertisement. 

It's possible but I don't think it's a good busniess model of they wanna sell Playstation consoles. Gow, Spider-Man and Horizon are system sellers the whole generation.

On that same note, having the PS5 set titles like Ragnarok and Forbidden West end up on PC before the PS6 launches is also a problem. But they are doing it, and limiting FOMO as a result. 

They opened that door, so they might as well step into it further. Once you give up exclusivity to sell your stuff, you can only far farther. You get less money from console sales as people wait for PC, so you need to sell more copies somewhere which feeds the problem further. 

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

KrspaceT said:
zeldaring said:

It's possible but I don't think it's a good busniess model of they wanna sell Playstation consoles. Gow, Spider-Man and Horizon are system sellers the whole generation.

On that same note, having the PS5 set titles like Ragnarok and Forbidden West end up on PC before the PS6 launches is also a problem. But they are doing it, and limiting FOMO as a result. 

They opened that door, so they might as well step into it further. Once you give up exclusivity to sell your stuff, you can only far farther. You get less money from console sales as people wait for PC, so you need to sell more copies somewhere which feeds the problem further. 

Pc is a entirely different beast though. Once you  are PC gamer you are never going back Playstation or Nintendo eco system it's just so much better they know it's a lost cause. Free online cheaper games, and just being On a open system gives so many more choices for emulation where you get so many options .

zeldaring said:
KrspaceT said:

Pc is a entirely different beast though. Once you  are PC gamer you are never going back Playstation or Nintendo eco system it's just so much better they know it's a lost cause. Free online cheaper games, and just being On a open system gives so many more choices for emulation where you get so many options .

Nintendo also is the last bastion of exclusives, meaning that unless you want to pirate you have to buy the Switch and frankly as Yuzu showed pushing too much on that front is a gamble. 

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

KrspaceT said:
zeldaring said:

Nintendo also is the last bastion of exclusives, meaning that unless you want to pirate you have to buy the Switch and frankly as Yuzu showed pushing too much on that front is a gamble. 

Yuzu got banned cause he was making money on it.  You can download it easily if you look though. Plus there is a number of other emulators just need a more powerful rig then yuzu.

It's just not switch though, you have ps2,  wii, 3ds, Gamecube, 360 and even ps3 all available on pc

Last edited by zeldaring - on 08 June 2024

Around the Network

I think in the future we'll probably see a tiered system where the headline blockbusters remain exclusives (at least in the short term) while "smaller" first party titles like this are released on other platforms to reach a wider audience, basically an acceleration of what's already happening with the likes of Grounded, Pentiment, MLB, this, Hifi Rush, Sea of Thieves, etc.

In short, games will be handled on a case by case basis; for something like this, for example, which aims to introduce one of Sony's core IP to kids in order to grow their audience, it makes sense to take advantage of Switch's massive install base; it's unlikely many people would buy a PS5 to play LEGO Horizon, so it doesn't really hurt them at all.

LEGO games sell the most on Switch, makes sense to release it there if they want to maximize revenue and give Aloy more exposure outside the PS audience.

It seems to me that a Switch version is about extending the growth of the IP as a means to returning back to the main series on PS consoles.

There's no PS4 version, presumably because there's not a large enough audience left to migrate to PS5 for the future of the series.

There's no Xbox version because... Lols I guess. No reason to put their stuff on a competing system.

I doubt we'll see the mainline games move from PS and PC, at least not on any immediate timeframe I feel.

twintail said:

It seems to me that a Switch version is about extending the growth of the IP as a means to returning back to the main series on PS consoles.

There's no PS4 version, presumably because there's not a large enough audience left to migrate to PS5 for the future of the series.

There's no Xbox version because... Lols I guess. No reason to put their stuff on a competing system.

I doubt we'll see the mainline games move from PS and PC, at least not on any immediate timeframe I feel.

something like half of active playstation users are still on ps4.
There is 60m+ ps4 users, yet to upg to ps5.

maybe sony wants a few games to push people to want to upgrade.

im just surprised if this is one of those.

JRPGfan said:
twintail said:

something like half of active playstation users are still on ps4.
There is 60m+ ps4 users, yet to upg to ps5.

maybe sony wants a few games to push people to want to upgrade.

im just surprised if this is one of those.

Without any extra data it's hard to say what these PS4 users comprise of.

Considering how PS5 heavy the sales of Sony cross-gen games were, I don't imagine there's remotely a large enough buying audience on the platform. And so I doubt something like Lego Horizon pushes ppl to upgrade to a PS5. If you aren't buying PS4 games now, what makes you a PS5 game purchaser? 

Most of the current PS4 audience is, imho, compromised of those in either yearly releases (like EA football or CoD) or playing F2P stuff like Fortnite.

But of course, that's just how I surmise the situation haha