By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Black Ops 6 is coming to PS4 and Xbone

Chrkeller said:

When was the last time the wii remote, eye toy and kinect was a focal point?

While I agree about overreacting to small data samples, motion controls have evolved and remain a significant part of gaming; they're a core feature of the most successful system on the market and don't look to be going anywhere.

LegitHyperbole said:
curl-6 said:

It will be interesting to see just how long COD holds onto the legacy platforms.
The last COD on PS3/360 was Black Ops III in 2015, two years after the release of PS4/XBO. We'll be two years passed that point when Black Ops 6 launches.

Franchises with mass casual appeal often remain on old platforms for a long time; FIFA released on PS3 and 360 until 2018, 5 years post-replacement, and Just Dance released on Wii until 2019, 7 years post-replacement.

The way we are going, I doubt this will be final COD on PS4/XBO.

Yes, it'll be 4 years which is why I made this thread. It's akin to releasing the original Black OPs on the wii, PS2 and Xbox which is unthinkable.... or hell, maybe even modern warfare 3. I think the dates match up.

The original Black Ops actually did release on the Wii, as did Modern Warfare 3.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Chrkeller said:

When was the last time the wii remote, eye toy and kinect was a focal point?

While I agree about overreacting to small data samples, motion controls have evolved and remain a significant part of gaming; they're a core feature of the most successful system on the market and don't look to be going anywhere.

LegitHyperbole said:

Yes, it'll be 4 years which is why I made this thread. It's akin to releasing the original Black OPs on the wii, PS2 and Xbox which is unthinkable.... or hell, maybe even modern warfare 3. I think the dates match up.

The original Black Ops actually did release on the Wii, as did Modern Warfare 3.

I wouldn't call optional features significant.  A few games have motion controls with options to deactivate.

Calling motion controls a core feature is a gross exaggeration.  I have 30 switch games and 29 of them don't require motion.

Heck every Skyward has made motion optional.

Motion isn't core to anything.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:
curl-6 said:

LegitHyperbole said:

I wouldn't call optional features significant.  A few games have motion controls with options to deactivate.

Calling motion controls a core feature is a gross exaggeration.  I have 30 switch games and 29 of them don't require motion.

Most of the biggest Switch games feature motion controls as the default way to play; BOTW, TOTK, Mario Odyssey, Super Mario Party, Splatoon 2 and 3, Pokémon Let's Go, Luigi's Mansion 3, Ring Fit Adventure, Monster Hunter Rise, Switch Sports, the list goes on.

Having the option to forego something doesn't mean it's not a core feature. HD is technically an optional feature of the PS5, you can play it in 480p if you want, it's still a core component of the platform. Online play is optional, still a core feature.

Motion controls are alive and well and here to stay.

curl-6 said:
Chrkeller said:

Most of the biggest Switch games feature motion controls as the default way to play; BOTW, TOTK, Mario Odyssey, Super Mario Party, Splatoon 2 and 3, Pokémon Let's Go, Luigi's Mansion 3, Ring Fit Adventure, Monster Hunter Rise, Switch Sports, the list goes on.

Having the option to forego something doesn't mean it's not a core feature. HD is technically an optional feature of the PS5, you can play it in 480p if you want, it's still a core component of the platform. Online play is optional, still a core feature.

All of them are optional, except botw.  Optional features aren't really.  

Motion wasn't optional on the Wii in most games...  because motion was a core feature on the Wii.  It isn't a core feature on the switch (nor the ps5).

Playing on the go or at home is a core feature.

Motion controls a niche that have little impact.

There is a reason even Nintendo makes motion controls optional. 

Either way, Sony and graphics were doomed during the ps3 era.  Nintendo needed to go 3rd party during the Wii U era...  people overreact to small datasets.  

Edit

And to your point?  Is sub HD a core feature of ps5 games?  I can optionally go sub HD.  Of course it isn't.  Optional features are not core.  

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 06 June 2024

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:
curl-6 said:

All of them are optional, except botw.  Optional features isn't core.

No offense but it feels like you're letting a personal hatred of motion controls bias your judgement here.

If motion controls were niche or had little impact, they wouldn't be the default way to play in basically every first party Nintendo game. They wouldn't bother designing their games this way if there wasn't a demand for it.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Chrkeller said:

All of them are optional, except botw.  Optional features isn't core.

No offense but it feels like you're letting a personal hatred of motion controls bias your judgement here.

If motion controls were niche or had little impact, they wouldn't be the default way to play in basically every first party Nintendo game. They wouldn't bother designing their games this way if there wasn't a demand for it.

Optional isn't a core feature.  I just don't agree.  And hatred has nothing to do with it.  I owned, played and loved my Wii.  Galaxy is one of my all time favorite games.

People need to drop this "I am anti Nintendo" silliness.  It simply isn't true.  

Do you think the ps5 speaker controller thing is a core feature?  I don't.  It is a niche optional and inconsequential add on.  Just like motion controls.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:
curl-6 said:

Optional isn't a core feature.  I just don't agree.  And hatred has nothing to do with it.  I owned, played and loved my Wii.  Galaxy is one of my all time favorite games.

Do you think the ps5 speaker controller thing is a core feature?  I don't.  It is a niche optional and inconsequential add on.  

I don't think something has to be mandatory to be core. 

For example, I would say that HD support, 4K support, and online play are all core features of the PS5, but they're all optional.

curl-6 said:
Chrkeller said:

Do you think the ps5 speaker controller thing is a core feature?  I don't.  It is a niche optional and inconsequential add on.  

For example, I would say that HD support, 4K support, and online play are all core features of the PS5, but they're all optional.

Mandatory, no.  But a core focus.  Games in the ps5 are clearly designed with HD in mind.  Games on the Switch are not designed around motion.  A few things here and there support motion, but the games are not designed with it being the center of attention.  

Motion was a core function on the Wii.

Is the ps5 controller speaker a core feature?  

Edit

At some point we need to use common sense.  Motion was a core feature in Zack & Wiki.  Claiming motion is a core feature in LM3 is silly.  I'm assuming you can easily see the difference in design.

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 06 June 2024

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:
curl-6 said:

Mandatory, no.  But a core focus.  Games in the ps5 are clearly designed with HD in mind.  Games on the Switch are not designed around motion.  A few things here and there support motion, but the games are not designed with it being the center of attention.  

The majority of Nintendo's games are designed with motion controls as the default way to play though.

Honestly haven't played enough PS5 games yet to gauge how much Sony actually use the speaker.

curl-6 said:
Chrkeller said:

The majority of Nintendo's games are designed with motion controls as the default way to play though.

Honestly haven't played enough PS5 games yet to gauge how much Sony actually use the speaker.

We will have to agree to disagree.  Skyward on the Wii was designed with motion.  Tears isn't designed around motion, it is a simple add on.  To me there is a major difference.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED