By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Digital Foundry: Hellblade II - "A defining moment in the evolution of realtime graphics"

Mountain ridges and the ground at her feet are pretty bad as well. The rock is laughable.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

Chromatic aberration is something most people aren't going to notice I expect; it stands out in stills, but in motion is much less visible.

I had to look up what CA was. I tend to not notice it.  I've toggled it on and off in RE remakes and couldn't figure out what was even different.  

It is interesting that people claim there isn't differences between medium and ultra settings, but find CA obvious.

I'm the opposite. Ultra settings are glaring and obvious, but with CA I have to play "where's Waldo" to notice.

This isn't a jab at anyone. Just a comment on how different people notice different things.

I can't wait to see graphics continue to improve and push UE5.  This is just the beginning.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Some clips in motion

curl-6 said:

Chromatic aberration is something most people aren't going to notice I expect; it stands out in stills, but in motion is much less visible.

More and more games are giving the option to disable it so people are noticing it otherwise the option would not be becoming more common.

Around the Network
Leynos said:
curl-6 said:

More and more games are giving the option to disable it so people are noticing it otherwise the option would not be becoming more common.

Many games have anti-aliasing options too, but the average joe doesn't have a clue what MSAA or TSSAA means. Us enthusiasts who notice this stuff don't represent most gamers.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 26 May 2024

curl-6 said:
Leynos said:

Many games have anti-aliasing options too, but the average joe doesn't have a clue was MSAA or TSSAA means. Us enthusiasts who notice this stuff don't represent most gamers.

I'm talking strictly about console games.

Leynos said:
curl-6 said:

Many games have anti-aliasing options too, but the average joe doesn't have a clue was MSAA or TSSAA means. Us enthusiasts who notice this stuff don't represent most gamers.

I'm talking strictly about console games.

Graphics options are becoming more common in console games in general. It's perfectly valid to dislike CA, I just doubt it its presence here will be a problem for most players. I doubt the majority of gamers even know what it is.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 26 May 2024

Chrkeller said:

I had to look up what CA was. I tend to not notice it.  I've toggled it on and off in RE remakes and couldn't figure out what was even different.  

It is interesting that people claim there isn't differences between medium and ultra settings, but find CA obvious.

I'm the opposite. Ultra settings are glaring and obvious, but with CA I have to play "where's Waldo" to notice.

This isn't a jab at anyone. Just a comment on how different people notice different things.

I can't wait to see graphics continue to improve and push UE5.  This is just the beginning.

The weird thing is its a artifact from camra lenses that the movie industry views as a mistake, and tries to get rid of it.
Games dont naturally have it, so you have to spend gpu resources to make this fake lense effect a camra captureing a movie would make.

So the movie industry is like, the eye doesn't work like this, and this artifact shouldnt be in here, how do we reduce/remove it.
While the gameing industry is like, this makes our games look like it was a film! lets add tons of it.

People are pretty split on it...  I think its much more noticeable in screenshots than in actual motion. 
I'm not a big fan of it myself, if its there its there, if I can turn it off I do, if I can't its whatever.

JRPGfan said:
Chrkeller said:

The weird thing is its a artifact from camra lenses that the movie industry views as a mistake, and tries to get rid of it.
Games dont naturally have it, so you have to spend gpu resources to make this fake lense effect a camra captureing a movie would make.

So the movie industry is like, the eye doesn't work like this, and this artifact shouldnt be in here, how do we reduce/remove it.
While the gameing industry is like, this makes our games look like it was a film! lets add tons of it.

People are pretty split on it...  I think its much more noticeable in screenshots than in actual motion. 
I'm not a big fan of it myself, if its there its there, if I can turn it off I do, if I can't its whatever.

It does sound like an odd thing to add.  I guess it is intended to be more cinematic?

The same is probably true with film grain, which I always turn off.  First two things I turn off is blur and film grain.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED