By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - April Circana (NPD) 2024 Thread + Predictions

April 2024 Circana (NPD) covers the April week period from April 7 to May 4 and will be released on May 29.

Since Circana (NPD) leaks don't happen nearly as often as it used to and hardware revenue is something we do get, be sure to include revenue in your predictions.

Feel free to also predict what you think the top software games will be for the month.

Example prediction:

[Total Hardware Revenue]

1. [#1 selling console] XXX,000
  2. [#2 selling console] XXX,000
  3. [#3 selling console] XXX,000

RESULTS:

TLDR:

Units: PS5 > NS > XSX|S
Revenue: PS5 > XSX|S > NS

Link to the VGChartz article here.

PS5 Best-Selling Console in the US in April, Stellar Blade Best-Selling Game

The PlayStation 5 was the best-selling console in the US in April 2024 in terms of units sold and dollar sales, according to figures from Circana (formerly The NPD Group). Circana includes the dates for the five week period of April 6 to May 4.

The Nintendo Switch was second best-selling console in terms of units sold, however, it ranked third in terms of dollar sales. This does mean the Xbox Series X|S came in third in terms of units sold, but came in second in terms of dollar sales.

All three consoles dropped by a minimum of 26 percent year-on-year in terms of dollar sales. The Switch had the biggest year-on-year decline with it being down 69 percent.

Data provided by Circana Executive Director and Video Game Industry Analyst Mat Piscatella shows that the standard PS5 accounted 65 percent of all PS5 hardware sales, while the PS5 Digital Edition accounted for 35 percent. The Xbox Series X accounted for 60 percent of all Xbox Series X|S sales, while the Xbox Series S accounted for 40 percent.

Overall spending on video games in April was down three percent year-on-year from $4.20 billion to $4.10 billion. Spending on video game content increased two percent from $3.68 billion to $4.74 billion, while video game hardware sales was down 43 percent from $368 million to $208 million. Spending on accessories decreased four percent from $159 million to $152 million.

"Projected total US spending on video game hardware, content and accessories fell 3% in April 2024 vs YA, to $4.1B," said Circana Executive Director and Video Game Industry Analyst Mat Piscatella. "A 2% increase in content spending could not offset a 43% drop in hardware and a 4% dip in accessories."

Piscatella added, "The content spending growth was led by mobile, with gains from this segment offsetting a 24% year-on-year dip in content spending on Console platforms."

The PlayStation Portal was the best-selling Accessory of April in terms of dollar sales, as well as for the 2024 year-to-date.

Stellar Blade debuted as the best-selling game of April 2024 and is the 15th best-selling game of 2024. The game was the only new release in April to rank in the top 20 best-selling premium titles. It was the worst selling number one ranked game in the month of April since April 2012 when Prototype 2 was number one.

Helldivers 2 was the second best-selling game of April 2024 and remains the best-selling premium game of 2024. Dollar sales for the game fell 70 percent compared to March 2024.

Sea of Thieves of the fourth best-selling game of the month, following the launch on the PlayStation 5. The game was third best-selling game on PlayStation platforms for the month.

Grounded also saw strong sales for the month with it jumping up from 167 place in March to number 12 in April due to the launch on new consoles. It was the ninth best-selling game on PlayStation platforms in April.

The popularity of the Fallout TV series helped boost sales for the Fallout video games. Fallout 5 shot up the charts from 87th in March to fifth place in April. Fallout 76 jumped up from 159th in March to eighth place in April.

Here are the top 20 best-selling games in terms of dollars for April 2024:

Here are the top 20 best-selling games in 2024 year-to-date:

Here are the top 10 games played on the PlayStation 5 ranked by monthly active users:

Here are the top 10 games played on the Xbox Series X|S ranked by monthly active users:

Here are the top 10 games played on Steam ranked by monthly active users:

Here are the top 10 best-selling premium games on PlayStation platforms in April 2024:

Here are the top 10 best-selling premium games on Xbox platforms in April 2024:

Here are the top 10 best-selling premium games on Nintendo platforms in April 2024:

Last edited by trunkswd - on 29 May 2024

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

PS5 - SW - XBS Ratio

4.5 - 3 - 1

[Total Hardware Revenue] 230M

[Total Hardware Units]

1. PS5 265,000
  2. Switch 199,000
  3. Xbox Series 185,000

[Top 10]

1. HellDivers II
  2. Sea of Thieves
  3. Princess Peach: Showtime!
  4. Stellar Blade
  5. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III
  6. Minecraft
  7. Super Mario Bros. Wonder
  8. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
  9. GTA V
  10. Grounded

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

225 million

PS5 250k
Switch 175k
Xbox 175k

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Final reminder as April Circana (NPD) 2024 will be posted tomorrow (Wednesday).

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

Cincara April 2024 results are out.

PS5- #1 In both Units and Dollars.
Switch- #2 units and #3 revenue
xbox- #3 units and #2 revenue

All 3 platforms fell a minimum of 26% year-on-year, with Switch showing the strongest year-on-year decline (-69%).

Switch and Xbox being around a measly ~ 120,000 is surely a vibe.

Going by VGC numbers the PS5 must be the least-declining platform right? Else the Xbox wouldn't be (barely) below the Switch. Even then it's at just ~ 245,000, so a huge drop month-on-month.

Also a pretty dire month for Nintendo software.

A very poor month for console sales. Sales being down YoY is to be expected, but not by that much. I am working on the main article right now and will have it up soon. Then I will work on our Americas estimates and have that up later today. 

OP updated with the results.

Geralt99 said:

Cincara April 2024 results are out.

PS5- #1 In both Units and Dollars.
Switch- #2 units and #3 revenue
xbox- #3 units and #2 revenue

All 3 platforms fell a minimum of 26% year-on-year, with Switch showing the strongest year-on-year decline (-69%).

Nintendo knows its time....  Switch 2 isn't going to be put off, any longer than possiblely needed too.
If they could launch this year holidays, I think they just might.