By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Can The Switch become the best selling video game console in North America?

Can the Switch become the best selling video game console in North America?

Yes, Switch for #1 >57.92M 17 39.53%

No, Behind the NDS <57.92M 24 55.81%

No, Behind the PS2 <53.65M 2 4.65%

Total:43
javi741 said:
Shtinamin_ said:

Your synopsis is well-rounded. Outstanding.

I agree that South America and Mexico will be what push Switch to be the best selling in the Americas. The US market seems rather "full", with other console options, other game options, lack of money, and less children. 

On a different note 4.5M doesnsss't seem like a lot for 26 countries. Granted it is a population 656.24M people with citizens that have different priorities than the average US citizen. I was gonna compare it to China which sold 4M as of Dec 2021 (are they still selling in China?), but China has 2.2x more population so its not a fair comparison.

So for Nintendo to start selling more outside the US, Nintendo needs to get more advertising out there? Hopefully the Legend of Zelda movie can come quickly (obviously done with care). I think something Nintendo can do is to place region specific price cuts. Like Mexico, Central America and South America would receive a 15% price cut for all versions of Switch ($169 Lite, $259 Switch, $299 OLED), and 10% off Nintendo software. (This is me being too optimistic). The Latin countries are the Switch's hope to surpass NDS and PS2. Mexico is the Switch's hope to surpass the NDS and PS2 to become the best selling NA console. 

I feel like more of the reason why it'll be a bit difficult for Switch to outsell the DS in the U.S is mainly because the DS was a handheld only device, which means that consumers were more likely to buy a DS for themselves rather than sharing it with a family like you would with a home console, so handheld sales are always bound to recieve a bit more sales because it is less likely to be shared and purchased per person rather than per family. My household brought 4 DS consoles alone because my family members all wanted their own personal DS, and I upgraded with a new DSI model. 

The DS was also just far cheaper for most of its life which certainly helped as well, it was very easy to buy the DS as an impulse buy product.

The Switch doesn't have these advantages as much, yea the Switch is a part handheld as well and I'm sure there's a good deal of household with multiple personal Switch's, but the Switch also being a bit more pricey and having a home console form makes it more likely to be a device to share amongst a household rather than having multiple people buying them on an individual basis.

If the Switch gets a good price cut however, I'll say it's far more likely for the Switch to outsell the DS in the U.S, I just don't think Nintendo is gonna do it with the Switch and I think they're gonna want to just force people to buy the Switch 2 which likely wouldn't be that much more expensive than the 300$ Switch.

Agreed, the DS was at the right place, right time, and right price.

The Switch is at the right place, right time, but not the right price (especially in the economic turbulence the US is having). And yes there are many households that have multiple Switch consoles in their home, its mostly acting as a digital babysitter so all the kids can be quiet and having fun, etc. Hopefully the market can grow to attract more girl gamers with the release of Princess Peach, though it probably wont increase by much.

I think once the successor arrive the Switch will receive price cuts. How much, idk. But I assume it'll be around $149, $249, $299 for Lite, V2, OLED respectively. (I'd like $99, $199, $249, but that is way too optimistic). And yes the successor is rumored to be about $100 more than the Switch rn.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

Around the Network

I wouldn’t expect the princess Peach game by itself to grow the market that much, but Nintendo has done a great job increasing the market. I do remember seeing articles about a slight majority of switch owners being female (among early adopters there was a majority of males).

I would be quite curious how it compares between different countries but I assume the regional demographics among switch haven't been revealed. From my own subjective experience I know mostly other girls who owns a switch.

I wouldn’t expect the princess Peach game by itself to grow the market that much, but Nintendo has done a great job increasing the market. I do remember seeing articles about a slight majority of switch owners being female (among early adopters there was a majority of males).

I would be quite curious how it compares between different countries but I assume the regional demographics among switch haven't been revealed. From my own subjective experience I know mostly other girls who owns a switch.

Niever said:

52% of Switch owners in the US are female, as of June last year. Couldn't find much data about other countries though.

That's compared to 45% of Xbox Series owners and 41% of PS5 owners.

Great poll. I was thinking that the switch was already the number one best selling console all time for some reason.

BiON!@