By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Final Fantasy VII Rebirth - State of Play

Mar1217 said:
A203D said:

I'm not sure what the temperature reading is in the gaming community, but my feeling is that the expectations are off the charts. If the reviews are what we expect them to be, then this will be the biggest Final Fantasy (not including FF14).

I also think that if Sony promote and advertise this game like they did with FF16 then this will be the most successful offline Final Fantasy. Its a great time of the year and there is not much competition this year as well.

This is the one we have been waiting for and it looks like it will be the best one.

Not meant to really rain on the parade, but that was moreso FFVII Remake thing. The hype, advertising and the pandemic at the time were more susceptible to create a more successful launch. It did great but the sequel can truly only reign in people who are in the know of the first game so I have massive doubts about its launch to be the most successful offline Final Fantasy. 

Game had total sales to about 7M sold last year in September and it's launch weekend was about 3.5M sold. 

Meantime FFXVI had a launch of 3M but dropped significantly faster than usual entries and we haven't got any numbers since.

Therefore, recent games in the series have basically been in difficulties to reach the highs people expect them to.

I really don't see how this could be different for Rebirth.

Despite what I'm saying here, there's a probability of it not being impossible to see this game get a successful similar launch to previous FF games. It's just difficult statistically wise when looking at the numbers.

Anywoo, I hope y'all enjoy the show. I'll prolly be interested to play it in the future but I wouldn't stand the whole spoilery aspects of this presentation.

I don't have any particular expectations, but we have seen sequels gain in popularity significantly before.

When it comes to the hype of the first game, it was mixed, right? Because while everyone was excited about it finally happening, there was a  portion who complained about it being multiple games, seemingly only taking place in Midgar, and that the combat system was a mix between ATB and action.

I think over the years people know that it is what it is now, and this is a portion of the original story that people liked a lot, and is perhaps a bit more marketable with the Gold Saucer and all that vs the more darker tone of the first.

Look at this nonsense. I love it.

And Final Fantasy VII Remake was on PS Plus, so a lot of people who were unsure about it got to play it for free.

Last edited by Hiku - on 06 February 2024

Around the Network

Anybody know if rebirth finishes the story or will there be more episodes?

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:

There's gonna be one more part. It's a trilogy.

The game looks great but its around 40% - 50% more expensive than FFVII Remake was at launch in my country. (£45 - £50 for Remake vs £70 for Rebirth)
With that price, I'm only getting it when it's on a big discount, that's if I don't end up just borrowing it from a friend before then.

Radek said:
Chrkeller said:

There's gonna be one more part. It's a trilogy.

Not too bad.  I was worried square would try to stretch it out over 5+ games.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:
A203D said:

Not meant to really rain on the parade, but that was moreso FFVII Remake thing. The hype, advertising and the pandemic at the time were more susceptible to create a more successful launch. It did great but the sequel can truly only reign in people who are in the know of the first game so I have massive doubts about its launch to be the most successful offline Final Fantasy. 

Game had total sales to about 7M sold last year in September and it's launch weekend was about 3.5M sold. 

Meantime FFXVI had a launch of 3M but dropped significantly faster than usual entries and we haven't got any numbers since.

Therefore, recent games in the series have basically been in difficulties to reach the highs people expect them to.

I really don't see how this could be different for Rebirth.

Despite what I'm saying here, there's a probability of it not being impossible to see this game get a successful similar launch to previous FF games. It's just difficult statistically wise when looking at the numbers.

Anywoo, I hope y'all enjoy the show. I'll prolly be interested to play it in the future but I wouldn't stand the whole spoilery aspects of this presentation.

I think 7 mil copies sold in about 3 years is solid. There was a lot of damage done to the series so it has been a long road for Final Fantasy. FF15 took about 10 years to reach 10 mil copies and that was across the Xbox platform as well. FF7 Remake is still exclusive to Playstation and PC. Also the launch was huge for FF7 Remake because the PS4 had an enormous install base, the PS5 by comparasion did not have the same install base for FF16's launch.

Honestly I think Final Fantasy is reaching new heights because while the sales of FF7 Remake are similar to previous titles, its selling more copies in the west than in its native Japan. Its a series where the sales in Japan are weakening but the western sales are breaking records for the series. Depending on the reviews we could be looking at a game with enormous staying power here in the west.

I think Rebirth is the one we have been waiting for. I hope it sells more than 10 mil copies. I really think with the level of content in this game it could become a tentpole title for the PS5, if not the quintessential Playstation 5 game.