By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 4, 2024 (Jan 22 - Jan 28)

People focusing on The Nintendo Switch vs The PS5 this year and forgetting that The Switch is surppassing The 32 Million this week in Japan !! only One Million to beat The Nintendo DS there!

Around the Network

I wonder how much of Yakuza's 1m first week sales are from Japan, probably approaching 300k?

Top 30 software now posted

Switch: SW-3707-5131-3911
XBox: Kenjabish

Pinkie_pie said:
Shtinamin_ said:

Right now if you go to the Hot Topics page, it is titled
"JAPAN Console Showdown 2024: January 28th" and is a poll, with the data already up.
XtremeBG does an amazing job and is charming to follow the process.

I had a look and seems like everyone thinks it will be very close between switch and PS5. I forgot about the PS5 pro could be releasing this year so with that I think PS5 gonna outsell switch this year in Japan. Switch around 2.5m and PS5 2.6m

Japan's January is essentially over, 4 weeks have past in Japan and we were given the Famitsu sales all the way to Jan 28. So next week in Famitsu it will say Jan 29-Feb 4. 3 days in Jan and 4 days in Feb. That is majority Feb. So it should be a February week.

Switch sold 241,282 units
PS5 sold 185,480 units
Xbox Series sold 7,654 units
PS4 sold 2,574 units
3DS/2DS sold 57 units.

In comparison YoY
Switch -23.3% decline
PS5 -1.5% decline
Xbox Series +178.5% increase

If this trend is to continue throughout the year the totals of each console will be:
Switch 3.03M
PS5 2.50M
Xbox Series 252k.

Very impressive for the Switch to be holstering ~-20% in its 7th year. And a very impressive Xbox Series month, hopefully Microsoft can keep the hype over in Japan.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

Otter said:

I wonder how much of Yakuza's 1m first week sales are from Japan, probably approaching 300k?

More like 400-450k across all platforms. Opening week digital ratios on PS alone can reach 40%, 50% and sometimes 65%. Add PC (which is big in Japan these days) and Xbox to the equation and I think 400k+ is realistic. But it goes without saying, some games perform better on PC than others and we have no idea how popular Yakuza/Like a Dragon is among Japanese PC gamers.