By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Biden vs Trump 2024 Political Platforms, Policies and Issues

Chrkeller said:

There are multiple.  UK being an example.  I have a UK driver's license and took the written test.  You are 100% wrong.  How many years have you lived in Europe?

One of the questions in the test is what to do when you get a flat.  You call someone, you are 100% not suppose to change your tire.  It is a government regulation.  I remember because I clicked "change your tire" and got it wrong on my test.  

I've never lived in Europe. I have a few friends who do. 

My best friend has lived in the UK their entire life, and they were confused when I told them about what you said.  

Are you sure, the correct answer wasn't something like pull over to somewhere safe? You'd need to do that before changing your tire.  

Around the Network
the-pi-guy said:
Chrkeller said:

There are multiple.  UK being an example.  I have a UK driver's license and took the written test.  You are 100% wrong.  How many years have you lived in Europe?

One of the questions in the test is what to do when you get a flat.  You call someone, you are 100% not suppose to change your tire.  It is a government regulation.  I remember because I clicked "change your tire" and got it wrong on my test.  

My best friend has lived in the UK their entire life, and they were confused when I told them about what you said.  

Are you sure, the correct answer wasn't something like pull over to somewhere safe? You'd need to do that before changing your tire.  

It is part of the highway code.  I'll bet you every penny I have.  I'm not wrong.  The answer it walk to the nearest phone and tell the operator where you car is located.

I'm calling BS with your friend story.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:
the-pi-guy said:

It is part of the highway code.  I'll bet you every penny I have.  I'm not wrong.  

If a tyre bursts while you are driving, try to keep control of your vehicle. Grip the steering wheel firmly and allow the vehicle to roll to a stop at the side of the road.

If you have a flat tyre, stop as soon as it is safe to do so. Only change the tyre if you can do so without putting yourself or others at risk - otherwise call a breakdown service.

The Highway Code - Annex 6. Vehicle maintenance, safety and security - Guidance - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Ryuu96 said:
Chrkeller said:

It is part of the highway code.  I'll bet you every penny I have.  I'm not wrong.  

If a tyre bursts while you are driving, try to keep control of your vehicle. Grip the steering wheel firmly and allow the vehicle to roll to a stop at the side of the road.

If you have a flat tyre, stop as soon as it is safe to do so. Only change the tyre if you can do so without putting yourself or others at risk - otherwise call a breakdown service.

The Highway Code - Annex 6. Vehicle maintenance, safety and security - Guidance - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Correct.  You aren't suppose to change the tire but call breakdown service.  Cars don't have spare tires.  If you click "change tire" in the test you get the question wrong.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Are you sure the test wasn't something like in the context of getting a flat tyre in the middle of the road or motorway? Lol.

FWIW, I don't drive, but I've just looked for myself and it seems it's legal to change a tyre yourself.

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
Ryuu96 said:

Correct.  You aren't suppose to change the tire but call breakdown service.  Cars don't have spare tires.  If you click "change tire" in the test you get the question wrong.  

????

Only change the tyre if you can do so without putting yourself or others at risk

it literally says right there that you CAN change the tyre yourself, as long as you don't put yourself or others at risk.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 20 May 2024

I have the highway code from practicing my test. The answer is call an operator. Changing tire is the wrong answer. I literally have a UK license.... and people who don't and haven't taken the test are telling me I'm wrong. Lol.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Once you've come to a stop, you need to assess if it's actually safe enough for you to change your tyre. The Highway Code urges drivers only to “change the tyre if you can do so without putting yourself or others at risk—otherwise call a breakdown service.”

Indeed, you should avoid changing your tyre on the hard shoulder of a motorway or at the side of the road, as you might get in the way of oncoming traffic—leading to catastrophic results. Additionally, if you're driving at night, don't risk changing a tyre in the dark. Even with a reflective vest, oncoming traffic might find you hard to spot. So, if you're not entirely sure it's safe enough for you to change your tyre, call a breakdown service, such as the RAC or the AA. It's always better to be safe than sorry!

If, on the other hand, you've got adequate space and you're sure you're not getting in anyone's way, you're almost at the stage in which you can change your tyre!

What To Do If You Get A Flat Tyre | Resources | PassMeFast

In the UK, you can legally change your tyre on any public land where it is safe to do so. You must ensure that you are not causing any obstruction or endangering the lives of other road users. It is important to be aware of any local bylaws where possible. And pay attention as parking restrictions may apply.

Where can I legally change my tyre in the UK? | Blackcircles.com

Chrkeller said:

I have the highway code from practicing my test. The answer is call an operator. Changing tire is the wrong answer. I literally have a UK license.... and people who don't and haven't taken the test are telling me I'm wrong. Lol.

...I just gave you the Gov.Uk Highway Code which says you CAN change a flat tyre yourself.

This is literally from the UK Government, Lol.

Ryuu96 said:

Are you sure the test wasn't something like in the context of getting a flat tyre in the middle of the road or motorway? Lol.

FWIW, I don't drive, but I've just looked for myself and it seems it's legal to change a tyre yourself.

I didn't say it was illegal.  I said you are not supposed to.  They want you call an operator. 

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED