By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Bestselling Console In The United States By Year Since 1986

javi741 said:
Quaellezed said:

Quick question, and food for thought. With the rise of handled PC gaming (ie steam deck and co), would it be interesting to add it to the hardware sales and compare it to the switch sales ? Or since the end of PSP & 3DS and the rise of the switch which is a hybrid home & handled console, handled console hardware sales has no reason to appear as a different category I believe.

Wouldn't be a fair contest at all, these handheld gaming PCs will sell only around 5 Million at best compared to Switch's 150 Million plus.

If anything, Quest 2 should be included in sales data, given that, so far, it sold ~20 millions.

Around the Network
HoloDust said:
javi741 said:

Wouldn't be a fair contest at all, these handheld gaming PCs will sell only around 5 Million at best compared to Switch's 150 Million plus.

If anything, Quest 2 should be included in sales data, given that, so far, it sold ~20 millions.

Quest 1+2 as of March 2023 were 20m, but yes the vast majority of those are Quest 2 headsets and it's remarkable how well it's done. 20m sales in under 4 years is outperforming consoles like the GameCube, Xbox and obviously the Vita/WiiU.

Quaellezed said:

Quick question, and food for thought. With the rise of handled PC gaming (ie steam deck and co), would it be interesting to add it to the hardware sales and compare it to the switch sales ? Or since the end of PSP & 3DS and the rise of the switch which is a hybrid home & handled console, handled console hardware sales has no reason to appear as a different category I believe.

We don’t get any sales numbers from Steam Deck or similar devices and they are likely so small that it would a useless comparison. Similar to how we never tracked Nokia N-Gage, Tapwave Zodiac, Nvidia Shield or Steam Machines

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Quaellezed said:

We don’t get any sales numbers from Steam Deck or similar devices and they are likely so small that it would a useless comparison. Similar to how we never tracked Nokia N-Gage, Tapwave Zodiac, Nvidia Shield or Steam Machines

That answers a lot to a question I had about this site ahile ago. 

BiON!@ 

Zippy6 said:
HoloDust said:

Quest 1+2 as of March 2023 were 20m, but yes the vast majority of those are Quest 2 headsets and it's remarkable how well it's done. 20m sales in under 4 years is outperforming consoles like the GameCube, Xbox and obviously the Vita/WiiU.

Yeah, I was interpolating from that data as well (IIRC, 18 millions are from Quest 2), and given that March 2023 was a long time ago, I figure Quest 2 is most likely at least at 20 millions after holidays.

It is often overlooked, although indeed beating a lot of traditional consoles - and VR console is what Quest really is, being standalone, cordless, with quite a few good titles, with an added bonus of being able to be used as a PC VR headset as well.