By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - December 2023 VGChartz Estimates Thread - Worldwide Estimates Out

curl-6 said:
zorg1000 said:

The thing about December is that they had some pretty drastic deals in order to hit those numbers, I believe S went as low as $149.99 & X was $349.99.

If you need $150 discounts in your 3rd year to hit “decent” numbers than I’m not sure the future is looking too bright.

Xbox won't have a future at all if they can't secure killer games. There's only so long you can sell hardware on the promise that maybe someday things will get better. They're running out of time to right the ship before it capsizes for good. 

I honestly see them going 3rd party in the not too distant future. Between Xbox Game Studios, ZeniMax Media & Activision Blizzard, they’ve got a massive collection of some huge franchises that span a variety of genres.

They should focus on becoming the biggest software publisher and getting Game Pass on as many devices as possible.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
curl-6 said:

Xbox won't have a future at all if they can't secure killer games. There's only so long you can sell hardware on the promise that maybe someday things will get better. They're running out of time to right the ship before it capsizes for good. 

I honestly see them going 3rd party in the not too distant future. Between Xbox Game Studios, ZeniMax Media & Activision Blizzard, they’ve got a massive collection of some huge franchises that span a variety of genres.

They should focus on becoming the biggest software publisher and getting Game Pass on as many devices as possible.

I suspect that's what will happen, but I hope it doesn't as I feel like leaving Playstation unchecked would be terrible for consumers. Monopolies are rarely a good thing.

zorg1000 said:
curl-6 said:

I now find it weird people expected Activision titles to be exclusive. Imagine Microsoft didn't buy them for a minute, how much damage would it do to Activision if they just decided to only release their games on Xbox and PC? Would MS really spend $70 billion on a company and then tank it's worth into the ground by reducing the reach and sales of its titles? Yes let's make the most expensive acquisition ever and then destroy it's revenue.

MS are investing heavily in software and it doesn't make sense to cripple your software by locking it to a console that is drowning and only sold 7.5m last year. Hardware is flopping and they've invested an ungodly amount in software, the hardware isn't worth destroying the software for anymore.

After Xbox Hardware's performance in 2023 I don't see MS taking away billion dollar titles from other consoles in the future. Xbox Series hardware isn't worth that investment anymore. If Elderscrolls VI is truly Xbox Series/PC only when it finally releases in 2026/2027 I would be shocked. Xbox Series will be lucky to pass 50m and the PS5+Switch 2 combined will likely pass 250m.

Last edited by Zippy6 - on 23 January 2024

Link to VGChartz article here.

PS5 Outsells SNES

Sony's latest video game console, the PlayStation 5,which is part of the ninth generation of video game consoles, has outsold the lifetime sales of the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES), according to VGChartz estimates

The PS5 had sold an estimated 52.96 million units worldwide through December 2023, while the SNES sold 49.10 million units lifetime.

Up next for the PS5 is the Xbox One with 57.96 million units sold, followed by the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) with 61.91 million units sold and the Nintendo 3DS with 75.94 million units sold.

Breaking down sales by region, the PS5 has sold an estimated 20.56 million units in North America, 17.38 million units in Europe, 4.97 million units in Japan, and 9.74 million units in the rest of the world. This compared to the SNES, which sold 22.88 million units in North America, 8.15 million units in Europe, 17.17 million units in Japan, and 0.90 million units in the rest of the world.

Breaking down PS5 Europe sales, the console has sold an estimated 3.65 million units in the UK, 2.95 million units in Germany, and 2.89 million units in France.

The PlayStation 5 launched in November 2020.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.