By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics - Israel-Hamas war, Gaza genocide

Israeli soldier dies from injuries sustained in Gaza: Army

A 21-year-old soldier injured during combat in the southern Gaza Strip has succumbed to his wounds, the Israeli military says. Captain Yarden Zakay, a platoon commander in the Givati Brigade, was seriously injured on September 17.

In the same incident, four other soldiers were killed, and several others were wounded. The Times of Israel newspaper, citing an army probe, said the soldiers were hit by weaponry that detonated inside a building in Rafah.

This brings the total number of Israeli soldiers killed since October last year to 778.


Israeli military targets market in Gaza City’s Sheikh Radwan area

Footage verified by Al Jazeera’s fact-checking news agency, Sanad, shows the aftermath of an Israeli strike on a market in the Sheikh Radwan area, west of Gaza City. Local activists reported that Israeli drones dropped bombs on citizens in the market.

A local activist published a video showing a citizen running while carrying an injured child.


Three Palestinians killed in Israeli strike on southern Gaza’s al-Mawasi area

At least three people have been killed and others injured in an Israeli strike on a vehicle in the al-Mawasi area, west of Khan Younis in the southern Gaza Strip, our colleagues on the ground report. Their bodies were taken to Nasser Hospital in Khan Younis, the official news agency Wafa said.


Gaza death toll rises

At least 43,259 people have been killed and 101,827 injured in Israel’s attacks on Gaza since October 7 last year, the besieged coastal enclave’s Health Ministry says. At least 55 of those were killed in the past 24 hours and 186 were injured, it added.


At least 10 killed at school-turned-shelter in Gaza’s Nuseirat camp

At least 10 Palestinians have been killed in an Israeli strike targeting the entrance of a school sheltering displaced people in the Nuseirat refugee camp in the central Gaza Strip, our colleagues at Al Jazeera Arabic are reporting.

AJA’s correspondent said Israeli shelling is targeting many areas in the Nuseirat area, which has caused many casualties and injuries since dawn.


At least 14 killed in Israeli attacks on central Gaza’s Nuseirat

As I’m talking, I can hear a huge explosion just taking place in the Nuseirat refugee camp, which is eight kilometres (about 5 miles) away from Deir el-Balah, where we are right now.

According to medical officials in al-Awda Hospital, at least 14 Palestinians have been killed since the early hours of this morning in just the Nuseirat refugee camp alone. At least 70 others were also wounded.

The area is witnessing huge Israeli attacks from naval warships alongside Israeli ground forces. People are arriving to the hospital in carts pulled by animals, because it’s quite hard for civil defence and front-line emergency workers to reach the area, as Israeli military drones are actively operating there.


At least three killed in Israeli attack near Gaza City’s Firas market

At least three people have been killed and a number of others injured in an Israeli bombardment in the vicinity of the Firas market in Gaza City, according to our colleagues at Al Jazeera Arabic.

They quoted local sources as saying that journalist Bilal Rajab was among the dead.



Around the Network

Israeli military carries out arrests during raid on Nablus

The Israeli military has arrested three men in the vicinity of the Balata camp in the occupied West Bank city of Nablus, the Wafa news agency reports.

Israeli forces raided homes and opened fire as they stormed several neighbourhoods in the city, resulting in clashes with Palestinian fighters, before withdrawing from the area.

An Israeli military raid has also been reported in the city of Qalqilya, where snipers have been deployed and homes stormed.


Israeli military sends reinforcements as town raided near Jenin

Israeli forces have raided the town of al-Yamoun, west of Jenin in the occupied West Bank, our colleagues on the ground are reporting. Local sources told Al Jazeera that Israeli soldiers sent military reinforcements towards al-Yamoun.

The sources also said that Israeli special forces raided a house in the town.


Death toll in occupied West Bank’s Nur Shams rises to three

Earlier, we reported that two people had been confirmed killed following an Israeli drone attack and clashes with fighters in the Nur Shams refugee camp in the occupied West Bank.

The death toll has now risen to three, with the killing of a 32-year-old man, according to the Wafa news agency. The agency reported that the two other casualties were 22 and 18 years old.

The Israeli military said it has wrapped up a daylong raid in the camp near Tulkarem, where it claimed to have killed three gunmen.


Four Palestinians arrested, 15 vehicles seized north of Ramallah

Israeli forces have stormed the village of Abwein, north of Ramallah, in the occupied West Bank, raiding homes, arresting four Palestinians and seizing 15 vehicles, according to the Wafa news agency.

Security sources told the agency that those arrested were: Hassan Khaled Sahweil, Abdul Jawad Saleh, Omar Ahmed al-Tayeb and Mahmoud Ayman Nimr.


Israeli settlers attack Palestinian homes in occupied West Bank

Armed settlers attacked several Palestinian homes in Surif, northwest of Hebron, in the occupied West Bank.

Municipal Council member Mahmoud Naji told Wafa news agency that dozens of armed people from the Bat Ayin illegal settlement, under the protection of the Israeli army, attacked Palestinian homes in the Deir al-Nil area and shot at them.

Resident Abdullah Ghneimat said the settlers broke the windows of his house and set fire to a nearby area. He said residents extinguished the fire before it reached the house.

Settlers have ramped up their attacks on Palestinians in the West Bank, often under the protection of Israeli soldiers, as Israel continues its bombardment of Gaza. Over the past year, at least 1,423 incidents of settler violence in the occupied West Bank were recorded – an average of four a day, according to data from the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs.

Last edited by SvennoJ - on 01 November 2024



Israeli strike levels building in southern Lebanon’s Tyre city

The air attack levelled the building on the city’s seafront, where rescuers and paramedics were seen pulling people from under the rubble, the AFP news agency reports.

Lebanon’s National News Agency (NNA) said two buildings were targeted in one raid near Imam Hussein Mosque in Tyre’s Raml neighbourhood.


At least 10 people killed in Israeli strikes in eastern Lebanon

Lebanon’s Health Ministry says 10 people have been killed by Israeli strikes in the country’s east. Most of the casualties were reported in a single village.

“Ten martyrs and 26 wounded in a preliminary toll for today’s Israeli enemy strikes on the Baalbek-Hermel region,” the ministry said, adding that eight of those killed died in the village of Amhaz.

Israel had not issued evacuation orders for eastern Lebanon today.


Israeli army blows up mosque in southern Lebanon’s Dhahira

Israeli platforms have published footage of the rigging and detonating of a mosque in the village of Dhahira, in the Tyre district of southern Lebanon. The footage, verified by Al Jazeera, shows the moment the Israeli army blew up the mosque and surrounding houses.

Israeli air strikes pummelled the area around the southern port city of Tyre following an evacuation warning.


Lebanon says Israeli attacks kill 30 people in 24 hours

Israeli attacks have killed 30 people in the past 24 hours, Lebanon’s Health Ministry says.

Since October last year, at least 2,897 people have been killed and 13,150 wounded in Lebanon by Israeli attacks.



Situation in northern Gaza is ‘apocalyptic,’ UN leaders warn


A Palestinian child sits next to the shrouded bodies of people killed in an Israeli strike in northern Gaza on Thursday.

The situation in northern Gaza is “apocalyptic,” a group of 15 United Nations heads warned Friday.

A letter signed by leaders from UN organizations including OCHA, the UN’s humanitarian affairs body, UNHCR, the UN’s high commissioner for refugees, and the World Health Organization (WHO), warns that “the entire Palestinian population in North Gaza is at imminent risk of dying from disease, famine and violence.”

Northern Gaza has been under siege by the Israeli military for almost a month. Hundreds of people have been killed, hospitals have been hit, and schools sheltering displaced families have been attacked.

People are desperate for food because “livestock are also dying, crop lands have been destroyed, trees burned to the ground, and agrifood systems infrastructure has been decimated,” the letter stated.

The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) said it launched operations after detecting Hamas members in the area at the beginning of October. The IDF has said it is “doing everything possible to avoid causing harm to uninvolved civilians.”

The UN leaders called on Israel to “cease its assault on Gaza and on the humanitarians trying to help,” adding that the area has been “denied basic aid and life-saving supplies while bombardment and other attacks continue.”

“International humanitarian law, including the rules of distinction, proportionality and precautions, must be respected,” the letter said. International humanitarian law obligations “do not depend on reciprocity. No violation by one party ever releases the other from its legal obligations,” it said.

Hamas official says Gaza ceasefire proposal does not meet demands

Hamas official Sami Abu Zuhri tells Al Jazeera that the ceasefire proposal presented to the group does not meet its demands.

Abu Zuhri said Hamas would not accept a temporary truce in exchange for the release of Israeli captives in Gaza because Israel would then resume its bombing campaign.

Israel’s Mossad spy chief and the CIA director this week attended talks in Qatar’s capital – the first high-level talks since ceasefire efforts aimed at ending the war in Gaza broke down in August.

Families of nearly 100 Israeli captives who remain in Gaza have put pressure on the Israeli government to sign a deal to secure the release of their relatives.

Hamas official Abu Zuhri also added that the group was aiming to “stop the war of extermination” against the people of Gaza and would therefore not accept anything short of a permanent truce.

He said Hamas believes Israel does not want a ceasefire agreement but is looking to return the captives home without an end to the war, which the group rejects. Abu Zuhri added that the US was not interested in a real agreement.



Around the Network

Israeli army says it killed senior Hamas official

Israeli army claims to have killed a senior Hamas official in an air strike in Khan Younis. The army described Izz al-Din Kassab as one of the last high-ranking members of Hamas responsible for coordinating with other groups in Gaza.

There has been no comment from Hamas on the claims.

Five Palestinians killed in Israeli raids on Beit Lahiya

Israeli air strikes on the northern Gaza city of Beit Lahiya have killed at least five Palestinians and wounded several, according to Wafa news agency. The report added that the raids targeted a group of people in the Mashrou neighbourhood.

In southern Gaza, Israeli bombing targeted a group of people north of Rafah, near Hamza Mosque in the Khirbet al-Adas area, causing a number of casualties, the agency said.


Another Palestinian journalist killed in Israeli strike on Gaza City

Gaza media office has confirmed journalist Bilal Rajab, of al-Quds al-Youm TV channel, was killed in an Israeli bombardment in the Strip.

Our colleagues at Al Jazeera Arabic earlier reported that a strike in the vicinity of the Firas market in Gaza City had killed three people, among whom local sources said was Rajab. The office said the total number of journalists and media workers who have been killed in Gaza since October 7, 2023, now stands at 183.

It called on the international community to intervene to stop the killing of Palestinian journalists reporting on the war in Gaza, which is the deadliest conflict for media workers.


Three killed by Israeli bombardment in Nuseirat

Our colleagues on the ground are reporting that at least three people, including two children, were killed and many others wounded in an Israeli bombardment that targeted a house north of the Nuseirat camp.

Several casualties in Israeli strike on Jabalia

Several people have been killed and wounded in an Israeli strike on the Jabalia refugee camp in northern Gaza. The bombing took place in the Tall az-Zaatar area of the camp, our colleagues on the ground reported.

The Palestinian Wafa news agency said Israeli air strikes also targeted al-Rafei School, which shelters displaced people in the town of Jabalia, killing several people.


Fifty children killed in Israeli attack on northern Gaza

Two Israeli attacks on residential buildings in northern Gaza have killed 84 Palestinians, including more than 50 children, Gaza’s Government Media Office says.

The Government Media Office added that the two multistorey buildings were sheltering at least 170 people when they were targeted.

It said 84 people were killed in what it described as “massacres” as no civil defence crews, medical services or other relief services are available in the area amid an Israeli siege and continuing bombardment.

It did not specify the location of the buildings but said they belonged to the Shalayel and al-Ghandour families.

The government called on the international community to uphold its obligation to protect civilians and said it held Israel and its allies – the US, France, the UK and Germany – responsible for the ongoing “genocide” in Gaza.



Main points for November 1st

  • Israel’s assault on Gaza has continued, including attacks on residential buildings in the north that have killed 84 people, including more than 50 children, according to the Government Media Office.
  • Israel says it has killed Izz al-Din Kassab in an air strike in Khan Younis, describing him as one of the last high-ranking members of Hamas responsible for coordinating with other groups in Gaza.
  • Senior Hamas officials have said Israel is not taking Gaza ceasefire negotiations seriously, offering a temporary truce that falls short of demands for a permanent halt to Israel’s war on the enclave.
  • Israel’s Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich has said “Gaza must be reoccupied” and the “Israeli army will remain in the Gaza Strip for many years to ensure security”.
  • Israeli strikes in northeast Lebanon’s Baalbek-Hermel region killed 52 people and wounded 72 on Friday, Lebanon’s Health Ministry has said.


Israel is apparently now going after Haaretz for being critical of the government




Translation (google image translate)

in honor of

Attorney Gali Beharev Miara Legal Adviser to the Government

Hello,

Israel

Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Justice

Jerusalem

20th of Tishrei Tashfia 2024 October 31

At issue: legislation against encouraging and supporting the imposition of sanctions on the State of Israel

I would like to contact you regarding the matter in question as follows:

1. Last night it was published that Haaretz newspaper columnist Amos Shokan called on a soldier to impose sanctions on the State of Israel and Israeli leaders. This is not the first time that Israeli citizens act in this way. 2. As you know, for more than a year the State of Israel has been in a war on a number of fronts against murderous terrorism, including against the Hamas organization.
A call to impose sanctions on Israel, its leaders, members of the security forces and Israeli citizens is a blatant violation of a citizen's most basic duty of loyalty to his country. It means encouraging and promoting a move whose purpose is the actual denial of Israel's right to self-defense. This is especially serious when it is done during an existential war, and while our daughters and sons are held in inhumane conditions by a murderous terrorist organization.

3. In view of all this, I would like you to urgently forward to me the draft of a memorandum of law, which would state that actions by Israeli citizens in order to promote or encourage the imposition of international sanctions on Israel, its leaders, the members of the security forces and the citizens of Israel, will constitute a criminal offense punishable by a prison term of ten years. I will also request that such an offense in time of war be an aggravating circumstance that will allow doubling the punishment.

greetings,

MK Yariv Levin

Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Justice

29 Saladin St., P.O. 49029 Jerusalem Zip Code 9711052, Tel.: 073-3925527, Fax: 02-6285438 Fax



I'm honestly surprised they haven't gone after Haaretz sooner. They, from what I've seen at least, have unbiased reporting when it comes to Israel's actions.



Sirens sound near Tel Aviv, several injured as missiles strike two Israeli cities: Reports

Several rocket attacks have been detected in central Israel over the past hour, according to Israeli authorities and media reports.

The Israeli Home Front Command has said sirens are sounding in several areas north of Tel Aviv. The Israeli military has also said it has detected three rockets launched from Lebanon towards the central Israeli city and intercepted “some of them”.

Rockets have reportedly struck the cities of Tira and Hasharon, both northeast of Tel Aviv, causing damage to buildings.

It’s not yet clear if there are any casualties. Initial reports suggest at least seven people have been injured in Tira, according to news outlet Israeli Army Radio.


Number of people injured in Tira rocket attack rises

At least 11 people are now confirmed injured after a rocket struck an apartment building in the city of Tira in central Israel, the Israeli Public Broadcasting Corporation reports.

Earlier, we reported several rocket attacks had been detected in central Israel, with the Israeli military saying sirens were sounded north of Tel Aviv after three rockets were launched from Lebanon towards the area.

A rocket also struck the city of Hasharon, northeast of Tel Aviv. No casualties or injuries have been reported so far in that attack.


Israeli authorities say 19 injured in Hasharon rocket attack

Israeli police have confirmed that at least 19 people have been injured following a rocket attack in the Israeli city of Hasharon, northeast of Tel Aviv.

Earlier, we reported several rocket attacks had been detected in central Israel, with the Israeli military saying sirens were sounded in areas north of Tel Aviv after three rockets were launched from Lebanon.

At least 11 people were also injured after a rocket struck an apartment building in the city of Tira, northeast of Tel Aviv in central Israel. Dashcam video geolocated by CNN shows an explosion near a row of shops in the city, which is about 24 kilometers (15 miles) northeast of Tel Aviv, and whose residents are Palestinian citizens of Israel.

Four of the 19 injured people remained in a moderate condition, according to Israeli police, with the rest suffering light injuries.