By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Game Awards Thread (2023)

Baldurs Gate 3 game mechanics are pretty much the same as Divinity: Original Sin II released in 2017.

The only difference is that the general audience and critics did not have Divinity: Original Sin II on their radar to notice how samey it is.
But thanks to some funny romance options and therefore memes, BG3 did get attention and blew up.

But obviously there was criticism how TotK and BotW have similarities, were mechanically they are much more different.

Around the Network

IGN posted that this Game Awards were about 18% awards and that checks out. They really need to do a Winter Fest and focus more on the awards than everything else. A few trailers are cool to keep the flow but when you are announcing 3 games in a row and then just spitfire award winners, it’s probably not the best formatting. 

IDGAF who won, I didn't play BG3 and I'm sure it's a great game. ToTK didn't strike with me like BOTW did but I'll be damned if someone doesn't give Ultrahand it's due. It's THE most impressive mechanic in any game right now. Just from the sheer programming side of that is a fucking nightmare and then some. That is something many devs thought was not even possible on PS5/XSX let alone a Switch. You can have your qualms about the game around the mechanic but holy shit ultra hand proves Nintendo is just a master of the craft so few can live up to if any.  Again this post has nothing to do with who won or not. Just when people downplay ultra hand they have no idea what a marvel and achievement that mechanic is.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:

IDGAF who won, I didn't play BG3 and I'm sure it's a great game. ToTK didn't strike with me like BOTW did but I'll be damned if someone doesn't give Ultrahand it's due. It's THE most impressive mechanic in any game right now. Just from the sheer programming side of that is a fucking nightmare and then some. That is something many devs thought was not even possible on PS5/XSX let alone a Switch. You can have your qualms about the game around the mechanic but holy shit ultra hand proves Nintendo is just a master of the craft so few can live up to if any.  Again this post has nothing to do with who won or not. Just when people downplay ultra hand they have no idea what a marvel and achievement that mechanic is.

I'm very aware that it's a technical marvel, but that doesn't mean I enjoyed it in the game. I think it would've been much better off in its own game than slapped onto Zelda.

Nah it's perfect for Zelda because the series has always reinvented itself before people grew up with the OoT stale and tired formula. It was about experimentation and exploration of NES. Then it was a side scroller. Series always messed around with new mechanics but for a long time they limited themselves to a familiar formula and the new mechanic was a new item. It's good they broke free because it's clear for once I was in the majority who were bored with the tired old recycled formula since the 90s of the linear game pushing block puzzles. SS tried something new but again too linear and held hands too much. I just found totk overhwelming but it's still very much in the classic Zelda spirit.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

Didnt care much for the awards but there were some announcements and trailers for games and DLC that got me interested in.

High Priority
-Final Fantasy VII Rebirth (PS5)
-Metaphor ReFantazio (PC)
-Dragon Ball Z Sparking Zero (PC)
-Visions of Mana (PC)
-Final Fantasy XVI DLC (PS5)

Medium Priority
-Marvel's Blade (XS)
-Monster Hunter Wilds (PC)

Low Priority
-Hellblade 2 (XS)
-God of War Ragnarok Valhalla (PS5)
-No Rest for the Wicked (PC)
-Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
-Exodus (PC)
-Suicide Squad (PC)
-Jurassic Park Survival (PC)
-The First Berserker (PC)
-The First Descendant (PC)
-Lost Records (PC)
-Light No Fires (PC)

axumblade said:

IGN posted that this Game Awards were about 18% awards and that checks out. They really need to do a Winter Fest and focus more on the awards than everything else. A few trailers are cool to keep the flow but when you are announcing 3 games in a row and then just spitfire award winners, it’s probably not the best formatting. 

The issue with it just being awards, or even mostly, is that isn't what people want anymore. Maybe back in the day, but viewer numbers for award shows have dropped in parallel to an increased politicizing of the platform by winners or other speakers. The less these people have time to speak, the less political they can get, and the less viewers will get offended.

There are others where the politics don't impact them, but they just don't want to watch it. Having dozens of world premiers is probably why 90% of the people watch this. It's just good business sense, even if award show purists don't like it.

Dulfite said:
axumblade said:

The issue with it just being awards, or even mostly, is that isn't what people want anymore. Maybe back in the day, but viewer numbers for award shows have dropped in parallel to an increased politicizing of the platform by winners or other speakers. The less these people have time to speak, the less political they can get, and the less viewers will get offended.

There are others where the politics don't impact them, but they just don't want to watch it. Having dozens of world premiers is probably why 90% of the people watch this. It's just good business sense, even if award show purists don't like it.

I’ve seen a lot of people commenting about the award show not having enough focus. There has got to be a better balance than what they put on for this year’s presentation. The fact that they were spit balling constant awards, instead of actually presenting them to the people that get them takes away from those developers. If anything, they should do what some other awards shows and if a game won another category, announce that while the winner is walking up to the stage so it gives time to put another award in the show

axumblade said:
Dulfite said:

I’ve seen a lot of people commenting about the award show not having enough focus. There has got to be a better balance than what they put on for this year’s presentation. The fact that they were spit balling constant awards, instead of actually presenting them to the people that get them takes away from those developers. If anything, they should do what some other awards shows and if a game won another category, announce that while the winner is walking up to the stage so it gives time to put another award in the show

Yeah, there was one speech in the middle of thanking their art director or something like that, "who passed away last month", while the Game Awards had the "Wrap it Up" sign going.

They could have not had the puppet show or something else to give each winner some more time.

~Edit~

This:

Last edited by Hiku - on 09 December 2023

Hiku said:
CaptainExplosion said:

It's still a photorealistic depressant,

If Elden Ring is a "brown game", or "photorealistic depressant", then I must have reverse color blindness.

Just say you didn't play the games.

Some people actually don't play many games. They just post their comments based on generalization or imagination.