By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Stormgate: A new generation of RTS

Good to see Chris Metzen doing some voice acting outside of WoW. Can't wait to finally try the game out here next week!

Around the Network

I was able to get into the open beta early due to being a supporter and started a skirmish to check out how the game plays.

First thing I noticed that is an absolute godsend in RTS games, is a quick menu! Instead of selecting a worker to build something or selecting your home base to build a worker, you use Q to access all available buildings to build and the game auto picks the nearest worker to start building. W to access all trainable basic units such as workers, scouts, light infantry. E to access all trainable advanced units such as the Vulcan and heavy military. R to access all basic upgrades. And T to access all advanced upgrades.

Idk how this hasn't been used in previous RTS games, but being able to quickly access literally everything with a simple key instead of clicking around all over your base access something is really a game changer.

Oh and houses to increase your population are actually useful! Each house you build, you get to pick an upgrade to either attach it to another building to build units 25% faster or reinforce another building another 200HP for 20 seconds. Pretty good in emergency scenarios.

Looking forward to checking out more of the beta this weekend and all of next week!

Alright RTS fans, go give Stormgate a try!

Around the Network

Another game that I have to add to my Steam Wishlist.

BiON!@ 

Marketing is really starting to ramp up ahead of the games release. Really looking forward to diving in!

Damn, will we ever get a Star craft 3? I don't see any reason to play this game though, the original Starcraft is something that is still more than playable today and Starcraft 2 ain't too bad either.

LegitHyperbole said:

Damn, will we ever get a Star craft 3? I don't see any reason to play this game though, the original Starcraft is something that is still more than playable today and Starcraft 2 ain't too bad either.

There was a rumor that started up last summer that supposedly StarCraft 3 was in development, but I think it was just from a single source and it didn't really seem very credible. But not to mention, pretty much all of the RTS devs that made Blizzard, Blizzard have all since left the company. In fact quite a few of the devs who worked on Blizzard RTS games are at this studio working on Stormgate called Frost Giant. Little on the nost on the studio naming lol.

But there's more to Stormgate and StarCraft than just multiplayer comparisons. I'm a huge campaign and co-op player, so being able to experience an entirely new world, lore, and story is a very exciting prospect by itself. But also it's not just some of the core gameplay of StarCraft that's in Stormgate. They're also incorporating a lot of Warcraft's core gameplay. StarCraft is very macromanagement focused whereas Warcraft is very micromanagement focused, and the devs have made it clear they're looking to go for a fine line between both to where it feels familiar but new. 

There's also a lot of modern technology being added in Stormgate that the devs call Snowplay that adds features such as rollback netcode and 32 player support that previous RTS games just don't have. 

Here's a brief overview of the tech at 1:16-1:57 of the video

One thing I definitely miss though is the presentation. Nothing beat Blizzard's cinematics and polish. I really hope StarCraft 3 one day happens, but the company doesn't even talk about the franchise anymore lol. I remember last Blizzcon, the then President was getting everyone hyped by talking about World of Warcraft, Diablo, and Overwatch. Someone in the audience yelled out StarCraft and he just laughed it off lol