By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How will be Switch 2 performance wise?

Your expectations

Performance ridiculously ... 0 0%

Really below current gen,... 2 100.00%

Slightly below current ge... 0 0%

On pair with current gen,... 0 0%

Total:2
sc94597 said:

On the topic of scaling, I think games like Starfield are poor examples of scaling, if we take it from the perspective of does one's experience change much playing on different platforms. 

Basically playing low-medium on my Rog Ally as a handheld looks very similar (from a feature-set perspective) to my Series X which in turn looks very similar to my RTX 4080 desktop. It's really resolution and frame-rate that are most noticeable between these platforms. It has actually been a seamless transition to go back and forth from playing Starfield on the Rog Ally (@ variable 35-50fps), to the Series X in my living room on a 4k 60hz VRR display (@30fps), to my PC in my bedroom on a 4k 120hz VRR display (@ a variable 60-90fps.)

It is almost a meme how close Low, Medium, and Ultra are in that game. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFa6waRs-L0

*Look at the comments, as others seem to agree.*

On the other-hand, a game like Alan Wake 2 doesn't run properly on pre-Turing/RDNA platforms due to lack of DX 12 Ultimate support. So from a "playable on x platform" perspective, Starfield scales pretty well in that you can play the game on old platforms, which is something you can't really do with Alan Wake 2. 

Having said that, I don't think a PS4 would be able to play Starfield at a stable 30fps though, in its current state, unlike the 2600k + HD7850 platform, because the game can be quite CPU heavy and the difference between a 2600k and the PS4's Jaguar in terms of IPC and overall performance is pretty steep. 

Has Bethesda ever developed a game that was technically well done?  Don't get me wrong their games are great, but technically they are rather poor.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
sc94597 said:

On the topic of scaling, I think games like Starfield are poor examples of scaling, if we take it from the perspective of does one's experience change much playing on different platforms. 

Basically playing low-medium on my Rog Ally as a handheld looks very similar (from a feature-set perspective) to my Series X which in turn looks very similar to my RTX 4080 desktop. It's really resolution and frame-rate that are most noticeable between these platforms. It has actually been a seamless transition to go back and forth from playing Starfield on the Rog Ally (@ variable 35-50fps), to the Series X in my living room on a 4k 60hz VRR display (@30fps), to my PC in my bedroom on a 4k 120hz VRR display (@ a variable 60-90fps.)

It is almost a meme how close Low, Medium, and Ultra are in that game. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFa6waRs-L0

*Look at the comments, as others seem to agree.*

On the other-hand, a game like Alan Wake 2 doesn't run properly on pre-Turing/RDNA platforms due to lack of DX 12 Ultimate support. So from a "playable on x platform" perspective, Starfield scales pretty well in that you can play the game on old platforms, which is something you can't really do with Alan Wake 2. 

Having said that, I don't think a PS4 would be able to play Starfield at a stable 30fps though, in its current state, unlike the 2600k + HD7850 platform, because the game can be quite CPU heavy and the difference between a 2600k and the PS4's Jaguar in terms of IPC and overall performance is pretty steep. 

Has Bethesda ever developed a game that was technically well done?  Don't get me wrong their games are great, but technically they are rather poor.

Fair point. 

Not that I will likely buy one, but I think PS4 Pro. Looking at the current highest end steamdeck-alikes is roughly where I think Switch 2 will land.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Chrkeller said:

Morrowind on release was an absolute technical feat.

But that was back when they were a PC exclusive developer... The pixel shader effects and massive world was a unique experience at the time.

Remember games looked like this:

Where-as Morrowind looked like this:

Same occurred with Oblivion was was impressed on it's release as well.

The Engine they use (NetImmerse turned Gamebryo turn Creation) is a unique and clunky beast, but it can do some very impressive things.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

The switch 2 will probably be as good as an early model ps5. But will have some issues running games that are open world.

BiON!@ 

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
Chrkeller said:

Morrowind on release was an absolute technical feat.

But that was back when they were a PC exclusive developer... The pixel shader effects and massive world was a unique experience at the time.

Remember games looked like this:

Where-as Morrowind looked like this:

Same occurred with Oblivion was was impressed on it's release as well.

The Engine they use (NetImmerse turned Gamebryo turn Creation) is a unique and clunky beast, but it can do some very impressive things.

I never played dagger.  Oblivion I played on the 360 and it was quite impressive.  That was a long time ago though.  I'm just not surprised starfield isn't technically impressive.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

hellobion2 said:

The switch 2 will probably be as good as an early model ps5.

Is this a joke?

Conina said:
hellobion2 said:

The switch 2 will probably be as good as an early model ps5.

Is this a joke?

Keep in mind we had a member on this forum back in the day who I literally spent months arguing with who believed the WiiU was more powerful than the PS4 because of the 32 MB of eDRAM.

You just can't buy that kind of entertainment.

Fact is, PS5 level performance isn't happening in a handheld for a few more years yet, the Switch 2 SoC will be "smarter" and more effectively use it's limited resources, but that only takes you so far.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

I'm thinking Xbox One X/PS4 pro level or maybe a touch more. Which I think would be fine enough for them at least for the first few years, especially with the rise of cloud gaming.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Pemalite said:
Conina said:

Is this a joke?

Keep in mind we had a member on this forum back in the day who I literally spent months arguing with who believed the WiiU was more powerful than the PS4 because of the 32 MB of eDRAM.

You just can't buy that kind of entertainment.

Zero999, or something like that, IIRC? And his many alts.

Yeah, he was in the 10th dimension of Reality Distortion Field when it comes to all things Nintendo.