By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 2001, Game of the Year (Runoff)

Runoff 2001, Game of the Year

Final Fantasy X 10 18.87%

Grand Theft Auto III 11 20.75%

Super Smash Bros Melee 12 22.64%

Halo: Combat Evolved 15 28.30%

Civilization III 5 9.43%

Total:53
Cyran said:
HoloDust said:

That one is a pure gold, expanding on Fallout 1 mechanisms. IMO, the thing that got it remaining niche is the world itself - Steampunk mixed with magic is not everyone's cup of tea, and a lot of people like their fantasy being classic medieval.

I personally always enjoyed steampunk fantasy but when it come to western RPGs you probably right.  With JRPG I feel the mix of tech and magic is more commonly accepted just look at a number of final fantasy games.

It too bad Troika Games did not have more success.  Arcanum, Temple of elemental evil and especially Vampire: The Masquerade-Bloodlines (possibly my 2004 game of the year.  Not looked at list of options yet to know for sure) was all great games.

On a side note Timothy Cain (creator of fallout and cofounder of Troika Games) youtube channel have some great insights on game design and his experiences creating fallout and other games he created/worked on.  https://www.youtube.com/@CainOnGames/videos

Yeah, VtM: Bloodlines was and still is in one of my favourite RPGs. Troika was quite unique, real pity they didn't find at least modest commercial success to keep them afloat - I guess they were too early for that, Kickstarter and Early Access came much later, as opposed to Larian that had luck (or just enough business acumen) to not go under on so many occasions and managed to swim eventually to that shore.

Around the Network

I'm going to have to give my vote for Halo. To say that it is a revolution in FPS design is an understatement. What Doom did for the genre in the 90s, Halo did in the 00s. The game's mind share was massive, so much that "Halo Killer" replaced "Doom Clone" for upstart titles that vied to be the next big thing. So many things we take for granted in the genre were either pioneered or popularized by Halo, from the "left stick moves, right stick looks" controls to the two-weapon limit to having melees and grenades put on their own dedicated buttons (the "Golden Tripod" as Bungie called it) to the well-integrated vehicle combat.

Commercially, it did very well and had incredible legs, and had a massive attach rate, with half of everyone who bought an Xbox in the system's first two months having also bought a copy of Halo CE. It's tied with Perfect Dark for highest-reviewed FPS of all time, and it won multiple Game of the Year Awards. It also single-handedly put Xbox on the map.

Personally, I think it deserved its success. It was incredibly fun, and it still holds up. I still routinely play Campaign missions, and it's still my favorite Campaign in the series. And I had a blast playing the multiplayer on LAN back in the day.

Visit http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").

Dreamcaster999 said:

Come on, Final Fantasy X gang! Rise up!

Here is some Halloween-themed inspiration for you.

Sadly I can't vote in this runoff, because I have not played any of these games.

This is still extremely close and there are plenty of people who can still potentially vote.  There's about 4.5 hours left.

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 31 October 2023

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:

This is still extremely close and there are plenty of people who can still potentially vote.  There's about 4.5 hours left.

Most interesting year so far, imo. Seriously great games, without any being overshadowed by one overwhelming favourite made 2001 so awesome.

Halo CE: put XBox on the map

Voting for 2001 is now actually over.  It was a very close race during both the initial voting and the runoff.  In the end however, the Game of the Year for 2001 is Halo: Combat Evolved and the runner up is Grand Theft Auto III.

Even though there were four games that got close to the same number of votes, the discussion in the thread seemed to center around Halo and GTA 3 more.  My personal favorite from the year was Final Fantasy X, but I can't deny the historical impact that the other 2 games had.

Halo

The_Liquid_Laser said:

Voting for 2001 is now actually over.  It was a very close race during both the initial voting and the runoff.  In the end however, the Game of the Year for 2001 is Halo: Combat Evolved and the runner up is Grand Theft Auto III.

Even though there were four games that got close to the same number of votes, the discussion in the thread seemed to center around Halo and GTA 3 more.  My personal favorite from the year was Final Fantasy X, but I can't deny the historical impact that the other 2 games had.

Well deserved even if none of them was my vote. Both games sent ripples down the gaming industry.