Phantasy Star IV 3 3.75%

Mega Man X 10 12.50%

Secret of Mana 10 12.50%

Starfox 1 1.25%

Other (please specify) 7 8.75%

Total:80
Cyran said:
SvennoJ said:

Imo Half-Life is GotD as it was a paradigm shift in how fps games were and still are made and created such a strong franchise with the first title (and expansions) it allowed Valve to change the way PC games were distributed with the launch of HL2 tied to Steam.

Anyway it seems all modern games were invented in the 90s! Hard to choose.

On top of that Counter-Strike started as a mod for Half life.  While I not a huge fan of counter strike series my self you cant argue how humongous that series is to this day.

You can make the case Golden Eye was the first FPS that broke away from the Doom formula and it did have at least some influence on half life most likely the AI system but if Golden Eye is the Wolfenstein of the standard for narrative focus FPS then Half life is the Doom.  When it come to PVP FPS you never convince me any game in the 1990's is better then Unreal Tournament 1999 so I would agree with you that Half life is GotD if it going to be a FPS.

We played Half-Life Death match more than Unreal Tournament, yet only because of the map editor and crazy mods. using a grapling hook in Half-Life Death match while running around as Homer Simpson in a faithful recreation of our own office building. (We played it at work in LAN after work).

Unreal tournament got lots of play time as well and it was/is the better PVP game with awesome extra levels as well. So fast, so smooth. Just running and humping around in Unreal Tournament felt awesome. The level editor was a bit cumbersome though, easier to make HL maps.

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:
Dreamcaster999 said:

Already crowning the GotYs of 1996 and 1998, are ya? Tut tut! ;)

But really, I think there are actually a lot of people who favour the SMW and ALttP over SM64 and OoT. Add to that, the fact that Mario and Zelda are vastly more popular than Doom on forums like these and I could see them both beating it in the Game of the Decade poll

Ofc looking at my profile pic and you know which game I'll be supporting ;P

Actually, I am not sure about 1996, because there is more than one strong contender that year.  I would bet money on the winner of 1998 though, and I haven't even played the game.

I was thinking 1998 having much more competition than 1996. In 1998 we had Resident Evil 2, Pokemon Yellow, Starcraft, Ocarina of Time. Then again, 1996 had Pokemon R/G, Quake, Super Mario 64, Red Alert and Master of Orion 2. Assuming the Nintendo games win their years, Zelda- and Mario fans will be split between 2D and 3D games, whereas it's really hard to see any FPS that could really challenge Doom - unless there's the N64 kids with Goldeneye voting.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

bdbdbd said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Actually, I am not sure about 1996, because there is more than one strong contender that year.  I would bet money on the winner of 1998 though, and I haven't even played the game.

I was thinking 1998 having much more competition than 1996. In 1998 we had Resident Evil 2, Pokemon Yellow, Starcraft, Ocarina of Time. Then again, 1996 had Pokemon R/G, Quake, Super Mario 64, Red Alert and Master of Orion 2. Assuming the Nintendo games win their years, Zelda- and Mario fans will be split between 2D and 3D games, whereas it's really hard to see any FPS that could really challenge Doom - unless there's the N64 kids with Goldeneye voting.

FYI, I'll be lumping Pokemon R/G/B/Y all together in 1996.  I do think 1998 has a stronger line of PC games than 1996 overall, though.  Do I think any of those PC games will win?  No.

bdbdbd said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Golden Eye was 1997 though and up against Age of Empires, Total Annihilation, Fallout, Blade Runner, Dungeon Keeper, Riven, Quake 2, Tomb Raider 2, Curse of Monkey Island, X-Wing vs Tie Fighter and a little game called FF7. Yeah it will likely be a battle between Golden Eye and FF7, PC has too many choices!

So yeah, definitely not certain Golden Eye ends up in the gotd poll. Which Doom shouldn't win anyway, so much better came out after!

1998 will be a tough one, Half-Life vs Metal Gear Solid vs Ocarina of Time. Again PC will be split as 98 also birthed Baldur's gate, Thief, Star Craft, Unreal, Grim Fandango and many more. Consoles also had competition though with Banjo Kazooie, Spyro, Heart of Darkness, Wario Land 2, Xenogears, 1080 Snowboarding and more.

1996 has a lot of options as well, the 90s were stacked.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
bdbdbd said:

FYI, I'll be lumping Pokemon R/G/B/Y all together in 1996.  I do think 1998 has a stronger line of PC games than 1996 overall, though.  Do I think any of those PC games will win?  No.

I forgot all about Metal Gear Solid. You might be right. It's funny when you think of it, that there are many games that would definitely be voted as the game of the year - if it wasn't for this one title.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network
bdbdbd said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

I forgot all about Metal Gear Solid. You might be right. It's funny when you think of it, that there are many games that would definitely be voted as the game of the year - if it wasn't for this one title.

GOTY for 1991 was a very similar story.  If you can pretend for a moment that no Zelda game released that year, then you'll see a ton of amazing games.  There are 5 different platforms represented in the poll and probably 4 of them are bringing forth the best games possible in the early 90's.  It's an incredible list.  But when you look at the poll results, all of those games were clobbered by A Link to the Past.  Even the other SNES games don't really stand a chance.

1998 has so many good games it's almost unfair to just have one poll.

The best year in gaming ever without a doubt. And 1997 isn't far behind actually. Those years are going to be a battleground.

S.Peelman said:

Agree. that years is just bonkers. Will be very hard to pick best of that year.

Btw, thanks for setting up these polls @The_Liquid_Laser

Having a good time remembering and discussing games retrospectively. 

S.Peelman said:

The best year in gaming ever without a doubt. And 1997 isn't far behind actually. Those years are going to be a battleground.

I definitely agree that they're great years, but really FF7 and OoT are gonna sweep the votes

Dreamcaster999 said:
S.Peelman said:

I definitely agree that they're great years, but really FF7 and OoT are gonna sweep the votes

Likely yep, and SM64 '96, DK64 '99 :/ Looks like Doom will be the only 'PC' game in the GotD poll. Thanks to being ported to every console in existence.
Shenmue might stand a chance in '99. Maybe Driver gets a few votes as the precursor to GTA3. And again too much stuff on PC to rally behind one or two titles.