Link's Awakening 11 13.75%

Phantasy Star IV 3 3.75%

Mega Man X 10 12.50%

Secret of Mana 10 12.50%

Starfox 1 1.25%

Other (please specify) 7 8.75%

Total:80
Shadow1980 said:

I do need to get around to playing Secret of Mana. I never got to play that one back in the day.

From what I hear, the HD Remake is not good, so go with the original if you play it.

Btw, World Map theme when you get the ability to fly.

Last edited by Hiku - on 06 October 2023

Around the Network
Hiku said:
SvennoJ said:

Cross play might work if I take back the PS5 my oldest is using and connect it to my old 52" 1080p TV 

At least the digital version (was no physical version available) allows playing on two PS5's at the same time.

Alternatively, if you still have a PS4, you can download the game for free on that (since you bought the PS5 version, you can also download the PS4 version for free. It's like this with almost all games.) if you don't want to take back the extra PS5 from your child.

Oh cool, yes that works. We did that with GT7, you can actually play on all three at the same time since the ps4 pro is also primary. Perfect solution cause I'm sure he has no room left to install BG3 on 'his' ps5 lol. PS4 Pro plus 1080p tv, that will work.

Edit: Darn, BG3 is not cross-gen, no ps4 version. Oh well, I can always get the Series X version when it comes out on XBox if it supports cross play. (It's planned and already has it between PC and PS5) Sucks to pay again but from what I've seen of the game, it's worth it.

Last edited by SvennoJ - on 06 October 2023

antigin said:

Voted for DOOM.
But Rock 'N Roll Racing was one of the funniest coop experiences I have ever played. Maybe I would rather vote for it if there was an option.
NBA Jam, MK2 and Syndicate are also among favorites in my list.

Let the carnage begin!

That game had a truly awesome soundtrack.

The official voting period is now over.

The 1993 Game of the Year is Doom.
The runner up is Mega Man X.

I think we all knew Doom was going to win for a long time.  However, there was a really tight race for the runner up spot with Link's Awakening, Mega Man X and Secret of Mana all being tied close to the end.

Also, I want to say that Doom is the first Game of the Year in the 90's that looks like a serious Game of the Decade contender.  Now I don't really know for sure, but if people want to vote for Mario or Zelda, I think they will pick games from later in the decade, and I just don't see Sonic 2 taking Game of the Decade.  (It barely won Game of the Year.)  Doom is a fun game that created a gigantic genre, and it has a catchy soundtrack.  I at least think it will get more GoD votes than the first three GoY games from the 90's.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

I think we all knew Doom was going to win for a long time.  However, there was a really tight race for the runner up spot with Link's Awakening, Mega Man X and Secret of Mana all being tied close to the end.

Also, I want to say that Doom is the first Game of the Year in the 90's that looks like a serious Game of the Decade contender.  Now I don't really know for sure, but if people want to vote for Mario or Zelda, I think they will pick games from later in the decade, and I just don't see Sonic 2 taking Game of the Decade.  (It barely won Game of the Year.)  Doom is a fun game that created a gigantic genre, and it has a catchy soundtrack.  I at least think it will get more GoD votes than the first three GoY games from the 90's.

Already crowning the GotYs of 1996 and 1998, are ya? Tut tut! ;)

But really, I think there are actually a lot of people who favour the SMW and ALttP over SM64 and OoT. Add to that, the fact that Mario and Zelda are vastly more popular than Doom on forums like these and I could see them both beating it in the Game of the Decade poll

Ofc looking at my profile pic and you know which game I'll be supporting ;P

Around the Network
Dreamcaster999 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

But really, I think there are actually a lot of people who favour the SMW and ALttP over SM64 and OoT. Add to that, the fact that Mario and Zelda are vastly more popular than Doom on forums like these and I could see them both beating it in the Game of the Decade poll

All sequels :p while we're still getting the birth of Diablo, Age of Empires, Quake, Wipeout, Gran Turismo, Tomb Raider, Thief, Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Fallout, Baldur's Gate, Everquest, Unreal and just like OOT MGS stepping into 3D in a phenomenal way. But Yeah DKC2 / SMW2 stand a good chance for 95, SM64 / Pokemon 96, Golden Eye / FF7 97, OOT 98, Super Smash Brothers '99.

Imo Half-Life is GotD as it was a paradigm shift in how fps games were and still are made and created such a strong franchise with the first title (and expansions) it allowed Valve to change the way PC games were distributed with the launch of HL2 tied to Steam.

Anyway it seems all modern games were invented in the 90s! Hard to choose.

SvennoJ said:

Imo Half-Life is GotD as it was a paradigm shift in how fps games were and still are made and created such a strong franchise with the first title (and expansions) it allowed Valve to change the way PC games were distributed with the launch of HL2 tied to Steam.

Anyway it seems all modern games were invented in the 90s! Hard to choose.

On top of that Counter-Strike started as a mod for Half life.  While I not a huge fan of counter strike series my self you cant argue how humongous that series is to this day.

You can make the case Golden Eye was the first FPS that broke away from the Doom formula and it did have at least some influence on half life most likely the AI system but if Golden Eye is the Wolfenstein of the standard for narrative focus FPS then Half life is the Doom.  When it come to PVP FPS you never convince me any game in the 1990's is better then Unreal Tournament 1999 so I would agree with you that Half life is GotD if it going to be a FPS.

Dreamcaster999 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Actually, I am not sure about 1996, because there is more than one strong contender that year.  I would bet money on the winner of 1998 though, and I haven't even played the game.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Dreamcaster999 said:

Actually, I am not sure about 1996, because there is more than one strong contender that year.  I would bet money on the winner of 1998 though, and I haven't even played the game.

Oh that's interesting. I take the opposite approach. I would bet money on Super Mario 64 taking 1996, but I'm less convinced Ocarina will take 1998. That's not because it's less beloved. It's more about the stiff competition from 1998: StarCraft, Metal Gear Solid, Half-Life, Banjo-Kazooie, Grim Fandango, etc.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Oh that's interesting. I take the opposite approach. I would bet money on Super Mario 64 taking 1996, but I'm less convinced Ocarina will take 1998. That's not because it's less beloved. It's more about the stiff competition from 1998: StarCraft, Metal Gear Solid, Half-Life, Banjo-Kazooie, Grim Fandango, etc.

I think the issue with 1998 is that there are so many other good games that the votes will be so widely split between them. I mean, adding to the ones you've already mentioned are Xenogears, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Sonic Adventure, Crash 3, Spyro, Resient Evil 2 which could all pick up a couple votes. Thus, Ocarina of Time will easily win partly because there's no obvious alternative to rally behind.

Meanwhile in 1996, while there are certainly other good games, Pokemon stands as the clear alternative to SM64 to the extent where it miiiight just pull of the upset